case change of files/folders when mounting Avira ISO

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6736 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

sure, I see where you are coming from.
Where I am coming from is in telling users on my website how to prepare USB boot drives and in this case, how to extract files from ISOs onto USB drives and make them bootable. Up until now, my favourite method has been to mount the ISO with ImDisk and then tell the user which files to pick off and copy - but the pesky Avira ISO has changed all that and it seems I will have to recommend 7Zip instead!
:clap:

#27 ady

ady

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

but the pesky Avira ISO has changed all that and it seems I will have to recommend 7Zip instead!

...Until some ISO image created with mkisofs 3.01a05 to a07 can't be opened or extracted by 7-zip (which is a FEATURE of 7-zip and a bug in those previous versions of mkisofs).

For example, partedmagic used to have reports about "sqfs file not found", because some users manipulated the ISO image under Windows. But most users were not having such problem, even after manipulating the ISO image under Windows. Since the specific file was changed to be compliant with ISO9660 (all uppercase including "SQFS", numbers, underscore instead of dash and only one dot), the reports are almost gone.

My guess is that imdisk showed you the ISO9660 filenames because Joliet is not included in the Avira ISO.

A possible workaround in your tutorials could be to keep the simplest method available (imdisk?), and fallback to some alternative only when really needed for specific ISO images (imdisk -> 7-zip -> IZArc -> Isomaster -> Isobuster ->... ?; I'm just mentioning some tools, in no particular order).

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14267 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

But reading that KB article again gave me another idea. Or hint, or something. Does it really say that the MS-DOS-based mscdex.exe included in Windows 95 and 98 supported Rock Ridge and the internal Windows filesystem driver did not? Or do I misread something? I feel that I need to check that under Windows 98 some time. Could be interesting to see if that actually makes any difference to anything.

Yes, that is EXACTLY what is written, though I suspect :dubbio: that the "real meaning" of the article is that the DOS MSCDEX if it doesn't find a ISO9660 "namespace" will "default" to the RockRidge.
This makes anyway the DOS not really an option in this case. :unsure:
BUT it is possible (to be of course tested) that the combination of doslfn and SHSUCDX may. (long file name manager is anyway needed in DOS as "Linux names" tend to be NOT 8.3).

@steve6375
Why are you playing <you know what>? :w00t:
It is not difficult.
There is an approcah to writing/reading CD's, called "High Sierra" that become substantially the ECMA-119 standard in 1986 and two years later the ISO 9660 (1988):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660.
This standard had many limitations EXPECIALLY regarding filenames (but not only).
The industry was (as usually is) faster than standards, so two different kind of extension went in use to manage "less-limited" filenames, the "Joliet" and the "RockRidge" extensions.
MS "chose" Joliet, the *nix world chose RockRidge (and Apple/Macintosh as often happens actually chose a "third way").
IN 1999 the standard was updated but MOST "current" CD's/DVD's are NOT, even now, completely "kosher", as a common example, we often use in mkisofs --iso-level 4 that doesn't exist in any of the standards.

Hint ;):
Have you tried accessing the CD/iso in grub4dos? :whistling:

:cheers:
Wonko

#29 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:40 AM

I'm not sure if using ImDisk to mount an ISO file and then copying the contents will be faster than extracting ISO files with 7-Zip. But by this point I think I will use 7-Zip to get the proper uppercase and lowercase for the file name.

#30 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1366 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:14 PM

In my experience the 7-zip method is faster in cases like this. Which is not surprising really, there are a lot less conversions and data interpretation involved. You slip the CD emulation, the file system driver etc and instead read the ISO structures directly.

#31 nguyentu

nguyentu

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 102 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:43 PM

It seems 7-Zip reads and writes 4096kb per block, while this value is not fixed during copying.

If you use the 7-Zip File Manager to drag files out of the ISO file, it will extract the file to a temporary folder and then copy the file to the destination folder.

Edited by nguyentu, 05 April 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#32 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1366 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:29 PM

Okay, I have not tested the drag-and-drop options very much. I have mostly used 7z command line tool to extract an entire iso image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users