3 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Cool59

Mr_Cool59

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Ok here is my problem i have 2 computers and a home server 2011 which i may change to windows server 2012 the two computers are windows 7 home premium and the other is windows 7 professional what i want to be able to do is have the files automatically sync between the computers

example 1- i open word and modify an a document i have already saved i then want it to go to the other two computers

example 2- i download a new winbuilder project and update my existing projects i then run the new project and create a new live discs i would want that to only want the changes to go to the server for back up only

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

If you have good internet access then use DropBox, (has the added bonus of keeping the files on the dropbox server too) - otherwise use robocopy with suitable switches in a batch file and schedule the batch file to run every 10 minutes or so?

#3 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Or this way using Synctoy.
http://www.howtogeek...ox-with-synctoy

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

if you want to avoid geographical/disk size restrictions and privacy loss from Dropbox then I recommend using Owncloud (free).

Create your own dropbox-like server with a client that will synchronize remote computers with your server: http://owncloud.org/

If this is done inside your home network, it will be faster than dropbox (no round-trip to an external server) and you can share whatever amount of data is necessary. It has a windows program to keep folders synchronized.

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users