How can I change the Help.txt file?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Viajerozz

Viajerozz

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Thanks to any help. I have been trying for some time to figure out how to modify the help.txt file that is automatically created by Xboot.
If you open and read the default help.txt file it says "You have to create a folder with name "help_menu" in the same folder as
your application." I can not understand what this means. There are no applications on my USB drive after creating it with Xboot...only iso's..does anyone know what these directions mean? After I create a new help.txt file how can I use it or replace the defualt help.txt file?

I have tried, using various programs, to extract and edit the default help.txt file..just now I have been mounting the help.iso on a virtual drive, extracting the folders and files from help.iso and then recreating the iso as a bootable iso using ImgBurn, per instructions given by Antoine:

"Once you've done your modification; you'll need to rebuild your image. Download ImgBurn if you don't have it already. From ImgBurn, go to Mode > Build. Where is says "source", browse for the root folder. Make sure it's set to be the root folder of the disc once added. Then select the "Options" tab, set data type to MODE1/2048 and the file system to "ISO9660 + Joliet". Check "Recursive Subdirectories", "Include Hidden Files", and "Include System Files". On the labels tab, set the ISO9660 and Joliet to whatever you want; try to keep them similar though. Now, on the Advanced tab: select the sub-tab "Bootable Disc". Check "Make Image Bootable", set emulation to None, the boot image to /boot/syslinux/isolinux.bin, load segment to 07C0, sectors to load: 4, and check "Patch Boot Information Table". Now, under the sub-tab "Restrictions": make sure ISO9660 and Joliet are both set to Level 1. Now build the image and test it in QEMU."
But the iso created by this method always yields the error "No configuration file found". The help.iso file is fine and bootable before I extract and edit it, and use ImgBurn or any other program to recreate it. Why does it say "No configuration file found"?

Has anyone been able to use the Help menu function? Thanks for any help!

#2 Viajerozz

Viajerozz

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Does anyone have a possible solution or am I missing something obvious? Thanks for any help! Very handy little program btw...!

#3 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

help.iso is created by XBoot
Help is just a new feature i am working on.
This contains text files for your reference.
1)create a folder named "help_menu" in same folder in which XBoot.exe is executed
2)copy some text files to help_menu folder.
it would be best if you create different folders like "Antivirus" , "utility" etc inside help_menu folder and copy different text files in those folders according to category.
3) when you create a multiboot usb/iso . these text files will be integrated in help.iso. which you can read from HELP!!! option in MAIN menu

I tried this and it seems to work

#4 Viajerozz

Viajerozz

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for your help! I guess this is where I am going wrong as your instructions seem simple enough. But for the life of me I dont see any Xboot.exe file anywhere? I create the USB multiboot using Syslinux but all I see is a grub.exe file in the syslinux folder. Should I be creating the USB stick with Grub4dos instead? I tried putting the help_menu folder in the "boot" folder but nothing happens...thanks again for your help.

#5 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

I put the boot file xbootvs1.0beta14.exe in C:temp on my Windows 7 64-bit HDD
I then created folder at C:temphelp_menu
I then created a sub-folder at C:temphelp_menulinux
I then created a text file at C:temphelp_menulinuxpmagic.txt
I then ran xbootvs1.0beta14.exe and told it to make a USB drive (using a gparted iso)
I then booted using QEMU and selected the Help menu item - there I saw a linux item, when this was selected it displayed pmagic.txt and when this was selected it displayed the contents of the pmagic.txt file.

XBOOT bundles up the help_menu contents and puts it inside the help.iso for you. Works both as grub4dos and syslinux.
HTH

[Edit] help_menu corrected[/Edit]

#6 Viajerozz

Viajerozz

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Thanks, I was just thinking that maybe you had been talking about the Xboot creation program on the c drive and not, as I had thought all along, the final files and folders created USB stick itself. Stupid of me, sorry. Thanks for your patience and help! For any others, just to mention, a small error in your post, I think it needs to be help_menu, not the other way around.? Thanks again!

#7 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

No problem! I have corrected the help_menu error!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users