42 replies to this topic

#1 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

I started my second winbuild after the first one seemed to work okay. I wanted to try adding different apps to my project so downloaded the ppApps_PX01 package, unzipped it and ran the LX.061412.exe. I wanted to add my own apps/utilities, so as a test I added Hitman pro.exe, put it in a folder by the same name, copied the ppApp.ini file from another app folder, then added it to the PPapps folder in the root of my C: drive. I did the same for the adwcleaner.exe file, then ran the build and burned the ISO file to a cd-r. When I booted to the live cd, Hitman pro and adware cleaner weren't there. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the tutorial correctly. Is it possible to add my own apps to the project?
When I select the backup current base to make an archive of the project, where does it put the file?
Thanks for all your help. Winbuild really is a really great program.

#2 Uvais

Uvais

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 180 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

Did you follow this

Adding Portable Apps to Your LiveXP, W7PEX and Win7PE_SE

http://reboot.pro/4111/

#3 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

Is it possible to add my own apps to the project?
When I select the backup current base to make an archive of the project, where does it put the file?

Yes it is very easy to add your own programs :)
It creates the archive at the root of your drive.

Your ppApps directory should be as follows (where D can be any drive):

D:ppAppsProgramFolderProgram.exe+ppApp.ini

If you still have troubles, please post content of ppApp.ini

:cheers:

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

You can test these https://rapidshare.c...714266/Test.rar they all 'work' in LiveXP
Posted Image

The NoRS are strait run portables that launch the same in PE or Windows. I don't like these applications, they don't allow for choosing where to scan. The RS folder contains portables that run via runscanner, if launched from PE, but I doubt this makes any difference in this case.

#5 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Sorry about that guys. I didn't get an email from Reboot saying that someone had responded to my post so that's why I haven't responded. I checked the notification settings in my profile, but I'm not sure if I have it setup right. How do I set my profile up so when someone responds to my posting, I'll get an email from Reboot? When I get home, I'll read all the responses. Thanks again guys.

#6 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Yes it is very easy to add your own programs :)
It creates the archive at the root of your drive.

Your ppApps directory should be as follows (where D can be any drive):

D:ppAppsProgramFolderProgram.exe+ppApp.ini

If you still have troubles, please post content of ppApp.ini

I think I did what your saying. I made a program folder inside of the the ppApps folder which I called, "adwarecleaner", and it contained the adware.exe file & the ppApp.ini file.

This is the ini fle in my dropbox folder for you to check out.

https://dl.dropbox.c...20217/ppApp.ini

Thanks

#7 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

That ppApp.ini would be fine if your files were named hdclone.exe and hdclone.pdf. The parts in red need to be changed to correspond with your file(s):

<Title>
HDClone 4.0 Pro Portable SFX_TR

<Flags>
MakeInRoot = 0
MakeStart = 1
MakeSendTo = 0
MakeDesktop = 1
MakeQuickLaunch = 0

<StartMenuSourcePath>
DriveToolsImaging & Backup

<ppApp>
CommandLine = "hdclone.exe"
ShortcutName = "HDClone 4.0 Pro"
Description = "HDClone lets you make physical and logical 1:1 copies (clones) as well as physical and logical file images of hard disks and partitions."

CommandLine = "hdclone.pdf"
ShortcutName = "HDClone 4.0 Pro Manual"
Description = "HDClone 4.0 Pro Manual"

<End>

<Title> Affects nothing, it's just an internal description of your setup.

<Flags> Determine where to put shortcuts to your exe. 0=No, 1=Yes.

<StartMenuSourcePath> Determines folder location in Start menu. If folders don't exist they'll be added for you.

<ppApp>
CommandLine = "Exact name of executable file, including extension" e.g. "AdwCleaner.exe"
ShortcutName = "Title of shortcut" e.g. "AdwCleaner"
Description = "Description that displays when holding your cursor over the shortcut"

Note: there can be multiple files listed but each must have the three ppApp parameters listed above and all files will be governed by the Flags and StartMenuSourcePath parameters in this ini file.

So, an example of a ppApp.ini for AdwCleaner.exe would look like this:

<Title>
AdwCleaner

<Flags>
MakeInRoot = 0
MakeStart = 1
MakeSendTo = 0
MakeDesktop = 1
MakeQuickLaunch = 0

<StartMenuSourcePath>
Security

<ppApp>
CommandLine = "AdwCleaner.exe"
ShortcutName = "AdwCleaner"
Description = "Reliable removal tool for adware, toolbar and potentially unwanted programs."

<End>

#8 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:48 AM

You can test these https://rapidshare.c...714266/Test.rar they all 'work' in LiveXP
Posted Image

The RS folder contains portables that run via runscanner, if launched from PE, but I doubt this makes any difference in this case.

What does that mean, "run via runscanner"? Thanks for the .ini files. I'll try it tomorrow.

#9 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

Read about runscanner here: http://www.paraglide.../runscanner.htm

Many programs, like CCleaner, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, HiJackThis, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot etc. can be re-directed to scan the host PC from PE via runscanner. This can be done via batch e.g.
Runscanner /t 0 /cp /sd /ac /m+ /y program.exe

#10 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Read about runscanner here: http://www.paraglide.../runscanner.htm

Many programs, like CCleaner, SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, HiJackThis, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot etc. can be re-directed to scan the host PC from PE via runscanner. This can be done via batch e.g.

Runscanner /t 0 /cp /sd /ac /m+ /y program.exe

Thanks for info. I spent a little time looking at the runscanner page and I couldn't understand any of it. I'm not a programmer. I'll keep reading it and maybe I'll be able to figure out some if it. If I understand this right, are you saying that if I want to add my own apps I'll have to modify the .ini myself for that particular app? I just don't think I'll be able to do that because I have no idea what I'm even looking at. How do I modify or edit the ini file? What program do I use? I'm not a programmer.
I have one more question. When someone responds to one of your posts, how do you set the notifications to send you an email. I have the email box checked for Notification method to use for replies to followed topics, but it never sends me an email when someone reponds to my post. How do you have your email notifications set? Thanks.

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have one more question. When someone responds to one of your posts, how do you set the notifications to send you an email. I have the email box checked for Notification method to use for replies to followed topics, but it never sends me an email when someone reponds to my post.

That is correct. "Follow" is switched on automatically, when you create a new topic or post inside an existing topic.

Do you also define your email url in your profile (Settings > EMail & Password)?

If yes, maybe it is a restriction for new users. There are some other restrictions like "no attachment to posts" until the 100th post.

Peter

#12 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

That is correct. "Follow" is switched on automatically, when you create a new topic or post inside an existing topic.

Do you also define your email url in your profile (Settings > EMail & Password)?

If yes, maybe it is a restriction for new users. There are some other restrictions like "no attachment to posts" until the 100th post.

Peter

I just found out why I wasn't getting emails from Reboot pro. Gmail was classifying the mail as spam. Fixed.
Thanks

#13 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

I modified a ppApp.ini file to use with Blue screen view, a BSOD utility. Can you tell me if i did it correctly? It's in my public Dropbox folder.

https://dl.dropbox.c...7/ppApp (1).ini

If I download and install one of the extra Apps packages, does it add to or replace the apps that come with the build?

#14 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

I get an Error (404) when I go to that link.

It's very simple, you don't need to be a programmer. You don't need special tools, just open the ini file in notepad and edit it like you would a txt file.
Posted Image

Look at my example a few posts back, the text highlighted in red is specific to each program. Take a look and I'm sure it will make sense to you. After editing 2 or 3 ini files you'll be a pro ;)

#15 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

I actually did the build with Hitman pro, Adwarecleaner and Bluescreen view and it did work. The script modification worked. When I tried to run bluescreen view it needed to be installed and I couldn't complete the installation proccess. Shouldn't the program be ready to run? Did I do something wrong?
Try this one:

#16 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

For some reason I can't get Dropbox to work right.
Just open this link, select the ppApp file and select download.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?select=ppApp.ini#!/home/Public?select=ppApp.ini

#17 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

When I tried to run bluescreen view it needed to be installed and I couldn't complete the installation proccess. Shouldn't the program be ready to run? Did I do something wrong?

Yes, you're trying to run the full install setup; you need the zip version (extracted). If you need help, I'll set it up for you when I get back.

#18 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:55 AM

I threw this together for you https://rapidshare.c...ScrnView145.rar

It runs strait in Windows and via runscanner in PE. If you want to see how I set it up just extract the SFX.

There is something odd; the program seems to work but I don't have any crashes so, not a real test. The auto created cfg file seems to look for DumpChk.exe in "%programfiles%Debugging Tools for Windows". It isn't there but the program throws no error :dubbio:

Can you please test to see if the program works for you. If additional files are required, it's easy to fix.

#19 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

You want me to add BSV to the build and test it. Don't I need a BSOD to generate the log file? On my machine my minidump folder is in C:windowsminidump. I have around 100 workstations at my job and I checked about 7 of them today and I can't find the minidump or the MEMORY.DMP folders anywhere. And one of the machines at work did have a BSOD on Tuesday, and I found the minidump folder in C:winnt. But the log file wasn't there, just a few old log files were there. I have windows setup correctly to log the file. Where do I find the BSOD log files? I'm going to add a few more apps to my next test build, but I can't do it untill Thursday.

#20 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

I did the build with bluescreenview but it didn't install for some reason. I downloaded the ZIP version and extracted the file and put in the bluescreenview folder. I then just copied the ini file from the other exe file and used for the ZIP version. The 3 files are in my Dropbox public folder
https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/Public
You have to select and then dowload the ini file for it to open in notepad. I'm guessing that something's wrong with the ini. file? I'll do another build and I'll send you the log. If I use one of the extra download packages, is it added to the prepackaged build or does it replace it?

#21 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:02 AM

Please re-read post #7 above. "The parts in red need to be changed to correspond with your file(s)". I don't know how I can make it more clear. The ini file is not magic, it needs to be edited by you to match exactly the new file name(s) you're supplying.

Btw, drop box is asking for an email and password to access those files.

If I use one of the extra download packages, is it added to the prepackaged build or does it replace it?

This is how it works:

The ppApps inside the prepackaged build are located in e.g. "LX.061412WorkbenchCommonppApps" a.k.a %GlobalTemplates%ppApps. They're just a collection of ppApps like the extra download packages, no difference. Like all ppApps, they can either be locked into the PE image by supplying them to the %GlobalTemplates%ppApps folder or they can be kept portable by supplying them to any root folder named ppApps on any drive you want. The ppApps work exactly the same in PE regardless of which location you use; same shortcuts, same functions etc. If there are exact duplicates, only one will be loaded in PE but any difference in naming will result in additional shortcuts for that program.

#22 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Please re-read post #7 above. "The parts in red need to be changed to correspond with your file(s)". I don't know how I can make it more clear. The ini file is not magic, it needs to be edited by you to match exactly the new file name(s) you're supplying.

Btw, drop box is asking for an email and password to access those files.

This is how it works:

The ppApps inside the prepackaged build are located in e.g. "LX.061412WorkbenchCommonppApps" a.k.a %GlobalTemplates%ppApps. They're just a collection of ppApps like the extra download packages, no difference. Like all ppApps, they can either be locked into the PE image by supplying them to the %GlobalTemplates%ppApps folder or they can be kept portable by supplying them to any root folder named ppApps on any drive you want. The ppApps work exactly the same in PE regardless of which location you use; same shortcuts, same functions etc. If there are exact duplicates, only one will be loaded in PE but any difference in naming will result in additional shortcuts for that program.

I'll look at the ini file and fix it. I'll try another build tommorrow.

That's the ini file. Thanks for all your help. I will figure all this out. Do you have a minidump file file that I can run through BSV? Where are the minidump logs on your machine?

#23 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Right, so that ini is lookig for Bluescreenview_setup.exe which can't be right as we discussed.

I have all system failure options set to off and debugging info to none. I very rarely see a BSOD and when I do, I generally know what caused it. They would be stored in %SystemRoot%Minidump or memory.dmp I assume.

#24 Acenyc

Acenyc

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

I ran another build using the BSV files you sent me and it did work this time. I was able to run BSV and anaylize a minidump file form one of the computers here at work. There were some errors and warnings during the build but I'm not sure what they were. I've added the log file to my Dropbox.

https://dl.dropbox.c...620217/log.html

Over the weekend I'll try another build, but I'm going to add some more of my own apps. And I will modify the ini files myself using your guide. Eventually I'm going to do a build and run it from a USB stick, I think I understand the instructions. Some of the programs don't run correctly, so I'm going to make a list of what's not working and send it to you. Maybe you can tell me why. I want to thank you for all your help, I think the program is really amazing! One last question for now. I downloaded my own wallpaper, can you tell where and how do I add it to the build. Thanks again.

#25 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Driver Import PE won't be working in that build because you have some anti-virus running in the background that thinks its a virus (it isn't) and deletes it as soon as its extracted from the script. It's not a good idea to have AV running in the background while building a project.

Last time I checked it:
Posted Image
http://virusscan.jot...3e74837ebd5138e

This time:
Posted Image
http://virusscan.jot...0541aea4a884a54

ClamAV decides it's a 'virus' this time, maybe next time 2 or 3 will flag it. Do you think it's a virus? If so, don't use the script.

Send me your list, I'll try to help if I can.

Put your wallpaper in %GlobalTemplates%\Wallpaper (\Workbench\Common\Wallpaper) and point to it in Wallpaper script:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users