#1 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

hello,

my hard disk was damaged , so i wanted to run a fully functioning xp from usb till i buy a new one, im working now on an ubuntu from usb , anyway ,i saw some tutorial out there about booting vhd , i made a vhd file using virtualbox ,installed xp on it,copied it to another flash disk, defragmented it, and i run it throught grub4dos, it shows the blue screen just a millisecond after the xp logo, i checked the tut again and i seem to forget to install winvblock after installing xp on the vhd file, or lets say idont know how to do that so i skipped it , is that the cause of my problem ,if so then where to dl it and how to install it,

thnks for your time

#2 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:33 AM

any advice ?

#3 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yes, the missing WinVBlock is the reason.
Is it mentioned how to install it in the tutorial you are reading?

You can easily find where to download it from and how to install it using board search option or even google.

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Use IMG_XP package and the procedure described here

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24424

:cheers:

#5 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

ok thank u guys, i'll definitly try that right away

2: I've another issue,in wimb's great tut he said its a must to install standard controlers for ide ,usb and vga, how to do that ?

3: about winvblock ,is it only needed when booting image files from usb? Because they boot easily on harddisk.

4: according to wimb's tut the xp image will be universal,right ?

#6 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:26 PM

ok thank u guys, i'll definitly try that right away

2: I've another issue,in wimb's great tut he said its a must to install standard controlers for ide ,usb and vga, how to do that ?

3: about winvblock ,is it only needed when booting image files from usb? Because they boot easily on harddisk.

4: according to wimb's tut the xp image will be universal,right ?

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

Install of Standard Controller requires Update of Driver according to:
- R-mouse on My Computer > Device Management > Update Driver > UserSelect(advanced) > No Search (user select) > Select Standard Controller
In this way for Computer Select: ACPI-pc (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)

WinVBlock is also needed when using Grub4dos to boot XP Image file direct from local harddisk.
You need WinVBlock or FiraDisk driver to boot XP Image file with Grub4dos menu on USB or HDD.

XP Image file made according to tutorial is able to become Universal.
Then you can boot with different hardware e.g. Intel or AMD processor.
POST_FIX folder contains file intelppm_Start3.reg only needed when sequence is AMD > Intel > AMD

=======================================================================================================
If you have Installed XP on AMD machine and then boot XP Image file on Intel machine,
then intelppm Service will have Start=1 value, which will give BSOD 7 E when booting on AMD machine.
This problem can be overcome by running the intelppm_Start3.reg registry tweak.
In that case intelppm Service will get Start=3 and everything will be OK for AMD and Intel.
=======================================================================================================

#8 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

ok, i did the whole xp installation again to be sure , then installed IDE standard controllers ,
then i tried to copy wvblk32.sys to system32 folder but it's already there ,is wimb's stuff installing the winvblock driver automitaclly or what?
anyway i opened cmd at system32 directory, run (sc create WinVBlock binPath= c:windowssystem32driverswvblk32.sys type= kernel start= boot group= "SCSI miniport") it succeeded , ten run (net start winvblock) it crashed and restarted the computer !
that not supposed to heppen,right ?
anyway i tried the .img file on grub4dos from usb ,it still restart just when the xp logo appears !
how to know for sure if the winvblock is correctly installed, and how the .img file is working fine on c: of my hard disk thorught (Boot XP from Image - XP-1.img - WinVBlock driver) and not running from the flash disk
im really desperate for help !

#9 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

Follow more precisely the procedure
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

WinVBlock is installed automatically and you used that already when booting with grub4dos.

You tried booting from USB, but did not use USB_XP_Fix.exe previously as described in the procedure.

#10 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

usb-fix? i thought its just a defragmenter tool , i'll try that right away , thanks for your time

#11 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

After Install of XP then you need to fix XP-1.vhd for booting from USB-drive by using USB_XP_Fix.exe
The fix will prevent BSOD 7B and will help to allow the XP VHD to boot on various hardware and so become Universal.

#12 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

im sorry ,still the same problem even after usb_fix , i find it hard to understand how it works in hdd and not in usb ! those things are all in the same pc ,i didnt try anything on other pcs

#13 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

do u think i should try another xp version ?,im dealing with xp pro sp3.

#14 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

i find it hard to understand how it works in hdd and not in usb ! those things are all in the same pc

USB-HDD or USB-Stick require different drivers than an internal HDD.

#15 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

in which step those drivers are installd ?

#16 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

in which step those drivers are installd ?

After booting XP Image from HDD then you must connect your USB-device on which you plan to use that Image.
And Reboot with USB-device still connected ....

#17 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

the usb-device is always connected, but after the installation of xp a cmd opens looking for auto setup.cmd to install some drivers , does this have anything to do with your tut or its just due to my xp cd

Edited by anteelsayed, 05 July 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#18 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

so ,to sum up, the xp.img works fine on internal hdd ,crashes on usb disk even after fix_usb and after the fact that its connected and present in device manager.
does it differ if the flash is on fat32 or ntfs ? (using ntfs)
im eagrly waiting for any piece of help,is it hard for anyone to upload his img file , its only 1.5 gb after compression , i will try more after few minutes :(

#19 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Don't use USB-stick, it is too slow for your purpose (and might be to slow for booting from USB).
Try other USB-device e.g. Portable USB-harddisk Samsung S2
Use BOOT_USB.exe to prepare bootable USB drive and use NTFS FileSystem

Try to connect on other USB port e.g. connect direct to motherboard

After having used USB_XP_Fix.exe then XP Image file booting from USB should in case of error give BSOD now and not a reboot.
What is the BSOD message that you get ?

#20 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

sorry for the delay , belive it or not , the whole problem with the usb port , as wimb suggested in his last reply ,i tried the flash disk on my laptop and it's booting without any problem , but its freakin slow , im wondering if the usboot method gives a faster xp , or it's not ?
another thing ,what vmware application can open the .img file, i want to increase its size

thnk u guys (esp. wimb) for ur great help

#21 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

You should test the speed of your USB-Stick first in a properly installed Windows.
If the stick gives you some decent speed readings. (use crystal disk mark)
You can go on and test the boot-speed, your computer is able to provide to the USB-Stick.
With those two values, it's possible to devise the best boot option.

In general, if your USB-Stick is not one of the expansive high performance variant, it's build to deliver "good speed" only while transfering big files.
So running a OS of the stick is mostly not working well. Loading the OS as image into RAM and running it from there, usually works better.

If the goal is, to use the OS on many, yet unknown computers. A DVD is a better option, cause it's boot performance does not vary as widely.

#22 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Good to hear that you managed to have XP Image file booting from USB.

In IMG_XP package there is program IMG_Copy.exe that allows you to transfer to larger Image file.

#23 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

thanks medevil for your tip,i guess i'll try a dvd and see the difference myself.
thanks wimb for your help and for that precious tool ,you really managed your package right , althought i still want to know a vmware app to open the img file.
oh, i faced alittle problem few hours ago, i got the blue screen again after connecting my nokia phone before the xp logo,despite the fact that the blue screen doesnt come up when i choose the RAM method ! i used the xp_fix tool but still the blue screen,any suggestions about that ? or i just shouldnt connect devices prior to booting ?

my time to say :cheers:

#24 anteelsayed

anteelsayed

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

i got the blue screen again after connecting my nokia phone before the xp logo,despite the fact that the blue screen doesnt come up when i choose the RAM method

ok nevermind about that ,i think it's because i removed the internal hdd ,but isnt this considered not universal, thnks

Edited by anteelsayed, 06 July 2012 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users