- - - - -

What component is required for Sleep/Standby?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

I've searched and searched and yet can't find what I'm looking for.

I need to add the ability to place the computer to sleep.

Obviously this requires the package that handles power management. Someone here proably knows the bare minimum to make the comptuer go to sleep. I've tried the Regdll32 powercfg blah command and that doesn't work, as I suspect the missing component is not there.

Anyone know what I should add to my build to make this happen?

Using a Win7 Bit Source.

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

I would have to "GUESS" that this isn't really something a PE can (or should??) do, and it is probably a function of the basic kernel that is used at the core of the OS.

If it was possible, someone probably would have discovered it by now.

#3 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

If it was possible, someone probably would have discovered it by now.

I would rather say, that the reason we don't have this yet is, that nobody wanted / needed that feature.

:cheers:

#4 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

I would rather say, that the reason we don't have this yet is, that nobody wanted / needed that feature.

Think beyond your own uses.

I use a Win32 port of HDPARM. When a drive is 'frozen' you need to place the computer to sleep then wake it up, and the drive becomes unfrozen.

I'm trying to avoid having to also use PartedMagic, which would mean also having that iso on the build etc etc and more crap to add to the list.

This will be needed more and more as the popularity of SSD's come into play. The OCZ Tool available does what I need it to do, but unless an OCZ drive is in the system, you can't run any of the tools it has.

Edited by Boot_Monkey, 01 July 2012 - 02:22 AM.

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 11:32 AM

Oh really? Why should i invest my time, to find a solution for someoneelses ptoblem, especialy, if that someone will not return the favour.

You know the typical posts, like:
Please, please, i need this urgent, to make money on my job.
What? Paying for it, with money or contributing to the community?
No way! My money and time is much to valuable for that.
Now hop, hop jump slave and do my bidding.

Ludovici, i were working on printer support. Later joined vvurat too.
No more than 2 people coould be bothered to help in the testing.
Not development, just testing!

Like i said before, this is no longer a developer board, this is a support board.
People come here for free help, then run off to never be seen again, until they have the next problem.

#6 vvurat

vvurat

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Ludovici, i were working on printer support. Later joined vvurat too.
No more than 2 people coould be bothered to help in the testing.
Not development, just testing!

Like i said before, this is no longer a developer board, this is a support board.
People come here for free help, then run off to never be seen again, until they have the next problem.

I did not understand the connection printer support and the topic title. Topic author does not mention to make money from it (or i do not see?)

Medevil you said you were be busy for one month. I did not had any feedback from you about printer issues.

Also about the topic title i strongly believe it is possible to get builtin shutdown, reboot buttons working. I also before wrote about that somewhere that i succeded. But i mistakely did not had any backup of the boot.wim and after some modifications i lost that functionality. I can not prove it just i belive it can be done

#7 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

I did not understand the connection printer support and the topic title.

It was just an example, for the fact, that even if one decides to sit down and spend ones time on developing a script for a feature, not few people claim to want, those people still not consider it worth, to invest own time as well.

Medevil you said you were be busy for one month. I did not had any feedback from you about printer issues.

Yes sorry, but i have completely given up on any script based PE projects in the mean time.
With that little help and feedback here, it's absolute ludicrous trying to fix any patchwork project.
I have done, what everybody else seems to have done too. I started my own project and i started it from scratch.
Only yesterday, i noticed that Wimb and i have independantly come up with about the same configuration for the smallest fully working Win7.
1,4GB uncompressed

Also about the topic title i strongly believe it is possible to get builtin shutdown, reboot buttons working.

They are already working in Win7PE_SE.
What Boot_Monkey is looking for is the Sleep/Standby feature, which both require the hibernate file, i think.

#8 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I use a Win32 port of HDPARM. When a drive is 'frozen' you need to place the computer to sleep then wake it up, and the drive becomes unfrozen.

What do you mean by "frozen" - do you mean in a powered down state? Or locked up internally?

I'm trying to avoid having to also use PartedMagic, which would mean also having that iso on the build etc etc and more crap to add to the list.

How does PartedMagic (and Linux?) come into play here? I don't think it has a "sleep" capability, but could be wrong. Does it do something else to "un-freeze" the drive?

This will be needed more and more as the popularity of SSD's come into play. The OCZ Tool available does what I need it to do, but unless an OCZ drive is in the system, you can't run any of the tools it has.

Again, more info on your sysmptoms of "freeze" would be useful, since I can only assume from the above that it has to do with an SSD after getting to the end of your post! A few quick googles on this shows that it might just be better to go back to IDE (instead of AHCI) http://forum.corsair...ad.php?t=105812 or do something else (like firmware upgrades, etc.) None of the google posts I saw mentioned "sleep/resume" as a way to fix this sort of issue...

So, what is the issue you want to really solve? Maybe that would be a better place to start...

Scott

#9 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

@MedEvil,

I'm not asking you to solve the problem I'm working on. You've already given me the hint I was after, on another thread. I'm trying not to re-invent the wheel by spending lots of time on a small piece of the puzzle that may have already been solved.

This need of mine is so niche, that I'm not going to pretend that there is a massive need for it. I'm just saying that there are some strange requirements of some builds, and because no one else has asked for them that doesn't meant that is isn't a valid reason to have it looked at.

You're a great developer and I appreciated the work you've done. So please don't be offended by what I said.

In my very fost post I said that I'm not new, and the fact that I've been using these discs for years, is a testimate that I can solve many issues on my own.

Back later

#10 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

As for "frozen", It's a term used in the ATA standard when you are trying to issue commands to a drive.

When using the Linux version on PartedMagic, there is a GUI that handles most of the hard work.

#11 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

What do you mean by "frozen" - do you mean in a powered down state? Or locked up internally?

An ATA drive is "Frozen" when you issue the ATA command: SECURITY FREEZE LOCK

issuing this command will cause the drive to ignore any subsequent Security commands such as SECURITY SET PASSWORD and SECURITY ERASE * until the power is cycled.

most BIOS manufactures issue the command during POST to keep malicious programs from wiping your hard drive with the Secure Erase command or holding your data hostage by password protecting the hard drive.

Simply unpluging the power cable to the HDD will clear the Freeze or, because opening the case may not be convenient issuing a sleep/hibernate command will also shutdown power to the hard drive and cause it to become unfrozen when the machine wakes up and power is applied.

hope that answers your question.

hibernation is not a feasible option to have for a PE.
in hibernation the entire contents of RAM are saved to hiberfile.sys on the local (running PE) hard drive. the hiberfile is the same size of the physical RAM, so if you have 8 GB RAM in your computer your hiberfile will be 8 GB. the computer then powers completely off. so for hibernation to even work in pe you would have to buil and uncompressed (non-wim) PE on a writable media such as a (large) USB/Flash drive. you would also have to boot from the USB drive when power was reapplied. this is all assuming you can get your PE to recognize that is has to load the contents of hiberfile.sys into RAM instead of actually booting.

sleep would be a better option as the OS says running in RAM and things like CD/DVD drives, Hard drives, network cards, graphics cards, etc are powered off.

regards,
Homes32

#12 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Homes - as always a wealth of knowledge :smart: I see why this is needed and a "good" thing to have. I didn't realize that PMagic had a way to mess with this...also good to know.

Scott

#13 Guest_Boot_Monkey_*

Guest_Boot_Monkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Thanks you both Homes32 and sbaeder.

I was without computer access in teh last few days and was replying via my phone, which is always awkward.

If I find a solution for making the computer go to sleep I will post my results.

I'm not very good with Dependacy Walker, but I'll give it another go. Also might use Process Monitor too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users