marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

Hi, I am trying to do WinXP Live USB.
I apologize in advance for my English.

I have a WinBuilder 080 and downloaded livexp minimal version but wiht marked FinishBoot SDI and Drivers5 RAM Disk.

When I used Create ISO as a finish option, my WinXP.iso works perfectly on Virtual PC. When i copied it to my USB memory and tried boot, appeared blue screen 0x0000007B.
I am using a YUMI to make my USB memory bootable with boot menu, because when i copied a files from TargetLiveXP directly or using UltraISO on my USB memory, always i have missing files so i must using YUMI. I am tried create a folders and copy files which appeared in errors but i had problem with ntoskrnl.exe - i copied ntoskrnl.ex_ and tryind expand it on USB but error about missing file still existed. So i prefer using a .iso file because then i don;t have any missing file but only blue screen.

Next I am trying Boot SDI option.
I have marked Set grub4dos as a bootsector and 5 RamDiskFiraDisk
but i have 1 warning "The HDD Image "%BaseDir%ISORami386BootSDI.img" could not be created".If i copied a files from TargetLiveXP to my USB memory I had missing files errors again. I prefer Create ISO because I am afraid I won't use .img file with YUMI.

If someone kwno what is the problem with bluescreen or have some advice, please help me :)

Edit: If i copied a files from TargetLiveXP to my USB Memory i have missing error files. I copied a TXTSETUP.SIF to root folder, create a minintsystem32 folders and copied there all files from I386SYSTEM32. Now I don't have a missing files error but blue screen still appear :/

Edited by marcin3001, 04 June 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Hi marcin3001 and welcome :)

Would you be willing to try a test? Download this minimal project http://www.mediafire...93fh444jo94e3eh and install to root of your drive (C:\). Leave everything as is, just select your XP source (unmodified, retail XP install CD copied to folder at root of drive) and build to completion. Test the ISO by burning to CD and booting on real machine to confirm everything is working as expected.

Now, read the section in this tutorial http://reboot.pro/4111/ titled 'Mini-Tutorial: Booting PE from Hard Drive or USB Flash Drive.' to setup your ISO on USB/UFD disk. Confirm everything working as expected or post link to log.html (zipped) and ask any questions you have.

If the above works, you can either use that project as a base for your own customizations or compare settings with yours to see what might be causing your issues. I can't respond directly to questions on your setup as you are using an older (unverified) setup and third party tools I'm unfamiliar with. Best of luck to you ;)
  • marcin3001 likes this

#3 marcin3001

marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for fast reply :)

At the emulation stage as well when i boot from CD I had error "File I386SYSTEM32NTOSKRNL.EXE could not be loaded. The error code is 14". I'm not sure if my copy of WIN XP is not modified but i downloaded another 3 copy described as untouched and still the same error. I will download 2 more copy and try but i think it won't work.

In a TargetLiveXP and a subfolders a file NTOSKRNL.EXE doesn't exist.

Here is a log file if you are interested in http://www40.zippysh...96966/file.html

Should I do this on Windows XP ?? I perform all things on Windows 7 x64 because I haven't installed XP.

Edited by marcin3001, 04 June 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

That log is only for Processing section: [Clean_Temp_Files] in file: [LiveXP] :dubbio:

I need a complete log from the build you are testing.

Btw, ntoskrnl.exe will reside at WimPE\I586\BootSDI.wim->\i386\System32

Errors of this type can be caused by lack of writable memory (real or virtual) and running AV as well.

#5 marcin3001

marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:21 PM

Sorry for bad log, i didn't notice this :suda: I made new build -> Log File http://www37.zippysh...73381/file.html

I mounted a BootSDI.wim like in your tutorial and and there isn't ntoskrnl.exe.

I put ntoskrnl.exe into image, but now is the same error but with HALAACPI.DLL :(

Edited by marcin3001, 04 June 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#6 marcin3001

marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

Sorry for next post but I couldn't edit my before post.

So I had 4 missing files in .wim file. I put them into image but now i have smilar error to the first one

when I am booting on real machine - File NTKRNLMP.EXE could not be loaded. The error code is 14

when I am booting in MobaLiveCD - File NTOSKRNL.EXE could not be loaded. The error code is 14

So i think I took the wrong way to resolve this problem.

Edited by marcin3001, 04 June 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#7 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

There is nothing in your log to indicate a problem! File ntoskrnl.ex_ was found in your source and copied to the PE image successfully. It is far more likely the file is being deleted by AV or similar OR it's there but you don't have enough memory to load the entire image.

Please confirm you have tried burning this image to CD and attempted booting real hardware (try more than one machine if possible). If booting ISO in VM, please confirm you have allocated 512MB of memory for the virtual device.

Can you show me a screenshot of the following directory from BootSDI.wim mounted with imagex?
Posted Image

It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just not sure you're looking in the right place ;)

#8 marcin3001

marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

Screen -> http://imageshack.us...5/screenxe.png/
dir /N > C:list.txt in system32 folder -> http://www9.zippysha...04071/file.html

Yes, I am tried several times booting on real machine from CD-RW, but didn't try on another PC yet.

Now I tried build image again and again this file doesn't exist in BootSDI.wim. I don't know how to explain this :/ I have 5 copies Win XP on hard disk. I doubt that all are wrong.

Edited by marcin3001, 04 June 2012 - 11:55 PM.

#9 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:14 AM

Since the log clearly shows the files being imported without error, I can only assume they're being deleted somehow. Many AV/Anti-Malware type programs (optionally) run in the background, silently scanning, blocking and deleting files deemed 'unsafe'. Many people are unaware this is even happening but it has long been known to cause issues like this. Please check for any program like this and temporarily disable its 'real-time' background scanning while Winbuilder is building your project.

#10 marcin3001

marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Eset Smar Security - turned off
Windows Defender - turned off
Firewall - turned off

NTOSKRNL.EXE - doesn't exit in .wim image...

I am going to install Win XP on my disk and there I will try build image.

#11 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Building from Windows 7 machine shouldn't be a problem, it isn't with my XP sources. Make sure Defender and UAC are both OFF.

You say you downloaded the XP source image, if you get me a link I'll test your exact source building from Windows 7 x64 machine.

Building inside VM of any kind can cause problems. Don't use VM's to build or test your projects.

It's always better to copy the contents of your source CD/ISO/IMG to a folder on your hard drive. There were a couple odd 'readonly' flags in your log that shouldn't be there if using a folder.

#12 marcin3001

marcin3001
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

I couldn't edit my post so i write new one.

I tierd install Win XP from USB but again I had blue screen :) Then I installed a XP from CD.

Build your project and now all works properly :) .wim file is 10 MB larger now. I don't know what is the problem on my Win 7. I had Defender, UAC and Eset Smart Security off.

Edited by marcin3001, 05 June 2012 - 02:30 PM.

#13 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Well, glad it's working! :)

:cheers:
  • Nuno Brito likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic