Crazy suggestion to translate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Sometimes one wants to translate a page into his native language.

There are several web pages which perform this service.

Is it possible to add a button "Translate" (of couse with detecting my host OS language) and pass to a translating page?

Peter

EDIT: Inserted from post #7:

The plugin should:
- present a small button/option next to each reply that allows translation of the topic
- present an option to translate the whole discussion
- auto-detect the language based on IP address
- allow logged members to manually override language detection and set another one
- translate a text using ajax to avoid full page reload
- present a panel on the user profile that allows predefine the translation options (always translate, manually translate, ...)

-The plugin should not translate:
-- Text inside CODE brackets
-- Words inside a modifiable word list (script, winbuilder, ...)

Edited by pscEx, 29 May 2012 - 03:55 PM.
Additional information

• Brito likes this

#2 ambralivio

ambralivio

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 194 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Peter,

seeing the "simple" question, I do not know if I caught your need.

Anyway, try googling for FoxLingo, a plug-in for Mozilla Firefox.

It will install a button and a menu-bar, where you can setting/translate between a lot of languages.

ambralivio

#3 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

I think this is the right idea, but I have also seen some BBS software that has a similar function built in...SO, I guess the question for Nuno (and any other IP.Board "guru's") is would it be possible to somehow hook into google translate and add a simple button to translate the posts URL? For example, right now, there is a link to the specific post number in the upper right corner with a # and the number of the post that goes to a link similar in form to this...http://reboot.pro/16950/#entry155301

If there was a button down next to quote or edit, etc. that said "translate", but it went to

http://translate.goo...anslate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Freboot.pro%2F16950%2F%23entry155301&act=url

For me the fails, since it is already english, and this is really where you want to have filled in with the users default language...Probably realted to the bold/red above. BUT at least, it fills in the URL, and makes it easy enough to translate to a different language.

So it seems it should be possible to do "something"...But not knowing about the difficulty on the IP.Board software to add the button, I can't answer the question of is it actually possible...

#4 u2o

u2o

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 257 posts
  •  
    Argentina

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:38 AM

You will need create your own extension. But this code seems to auto-detect (the page language and) the browser language....

Try Google with auto parameters on Reboot.Pro

Auto parameters String (Auto to Auto)
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=auto&js=n&prev=_t&hl=auto&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=www.reboot.pro

Original string (En to Es)
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=en&tl=es&js=n&prev=_t&hl=es&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=www.reboot.pro

#5 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1739 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

MS has a translate api which gives you 2M characters a month for free:

http://www.microsoft...slator.com/dev/

#6 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

OK - GREAT...A couple of good options...NOW, anyone know IP.Board???

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've tried doing this some years ago. Used google translate and create a simple HTML page with the translated version of the English content.

I saw some plugins in other forum software that translated the whole forum, however it causes members that read a translated text to then reply back on their own language instead of using English and then things get really messy...

OK - GREAT...A couple of good options...NOW, anyone know IP.Board???

I doubt we find one. However, thanks to the offered beers over the past months I believe we have enough funds to hire a IPB developer for this task (up to 150 USD at least).

In fact, after this IPB plugin is developed then it can be put for sale on the IPB marketplace at a small fee that helps recover the investment over the next months.

We just need to define clear requirements and ensure that we end up with something that we like, need and use.

---

For example:

The plugin should:
- present a small button/option next to each reply that allows translation of the topic
- present an option to translate the whole discussion
- auto-detect the language based on IP address
- allow logged members to manually override language detection and set another one
- translate a text using ajax to avoid full page reload
- present a panel on the user profile that allows predefine the translation options (always translate, manually translate, ...)

-The plugin should not translate:
-- Text inside CODE brackets
-- Words inside a modifiable word list (script, winbuilder, ...)

When this is available, I can create an additional block on the side panel that detects the language of user and presents a banner to a page with instructions. Saying something like, "After login, visit this link and set up your translation options", "If you want to participate or ask questions, please use English or visit the language specific forum".

Peter, can you collect these requirements and place them on the first post along with the contributions/ideas of other members. Once we have all these things consolidated, I will get us a developer for this task.

:cheers:

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Peter, can you collect these requirements and place them on the first post along with the contributions/ideas of other members. Once we have all these things consolidated, I will get us a developer for this task.

Started with your reqs. But I have to complain that I needed about 10 minutes. The today's response time of the server is again incredible high.

Peter

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10565 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Yes, when that happens is probably because of some heavier DDoS. They come by our office on daily basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users