license

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hello,

I would like to announce the creation of the reboot.pro community license that you can read at http://reboot.pro/about/license

As a developer, I will be releasing most of my software under the terms of the reboot.pro license. For example, releasing the next WinBuilder and other tools in a manner that brings an exclusive benefit and competitive edge for other developers at our community.

You are welcome to provide comments and ideas for improvement.
:)
  • Max_Real Qnx likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

You are welcome to provide comments and ideas for improvement.

Unacceptable :( :

You agree that your software distributions where this software is included are exclusively supported at reboot.pro

Would, by any chance, any of the batch scripts I posted on reboot.pro be considered "this software", i.e. should somehow this new license be "retroactive", just say so and I'll re-publish them elsewhere.
As well, should I by any means, be considered an "official developer", please remove me from the list.

I would like to have a few names/examples about this:

Unfortunately, we saw over the past years a number of competing websites/developers misappropriating our tools, reputation and progress.Some of these developers use all that we offer and give little to nothing in return.

The idea of "free" (as in freedom) is (in my perverted mind ;)) completely unlike that. :frusty:

So, a number of dirty little bastards somehow abused of things developed by the good members of reboot.pro? :dubbio:
Do you think that a restrictive license would change anything? :w00t:
As if the good guys at reboot.pro always integrally respected other people's licenses. :whistling:

Read a BSD license.
http://www.opensourc...es/BSD-3-Clause

That is a nice model.

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Would, by any chance, any of the batch scripts I posted on reboot.pro be considered "this software", i.e. should somehow this new license be "retroactive", just say so and I'll re-publish them elsewhere.

Your scripts are subject to the site policies found on http://reboot.pro/about/policies that applies retroactively to all user generated content.

I want to keep perfectly clear that a developer publishing his work at reboot.pro can choose whichever license fits his own work. If you don't accept the license, just don't use the software covered by the license and don't use it for your own products.

The community license is available as an option, I am adopting this license for projects that I publish.

So, a number of dirty little bastards somehow abused of things developed by the good members of reboot.pro? :dubbio:
Do you think that a restrictive license would change anything? :w00t:

If I want my own software available only at reboot.pro, it is my right to choose so.

If a developer/site ignores the licensing terms of software that I develop, we now have a way to proceed with legal action.

There are more developers in our community that share the same opinion and hence the reason for this license to exist.

As if the good guys at reboot.pro always integrally respected other people's licenses

The same can be said for any other developer/company, licensing terms continue to exist and be applied.

#4 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

maby gpl'ed like ..
It is understandable that you want to bind user
as well as developer.

but be careful that it is not slammed to bask you lose users and developer...

I be the Jing of Jang, the User.. like i can say it ;)

it is give so mutch right like GPL, MIB, APACHE and all what it is named..
and of course License of BSD too... do we need realy a brand new Licesing for Reboot.pro?

should can not every developer put his own right...,
since they are usually hosted not only Reboot.pro
but also at home btw own Pages ? hummm.....

I do not see it really a reasonable view on it..

best regards
Blacky

#5 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  • Interests:To be or not to be that is the question.
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hi! I think it's very fair to have a license agreement. Completely contain ingredients to protect the rights of our community. However many substances can be added later. For instance, these substances may have the power of punishment for users. Because we want to make everything better for everyone. Not only our comminity, we must protect the rights of other third persons too. Kind regards :hi:

#6 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell.

#7 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell.

Did George Orwell really say it ? It seems like it's a bit of a mystery.
http://www.netcharle...aq.htm#RoughMen

#8 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

It's the thought that counts.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

A license expresses the thoughts and desires from the author in regards to his software.

Even with a license, some people take advantage of good will and use it for their own benefit. In these cases, the license terms are called to help the developer see his rights recognized. Here is an example from a project that we supported in the past:
http://www.sarducd.i...llegal-t88.html

#10 linuxbaby

linuxbaby

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 139 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I dont will missunderstand the the reboot.pro community license and have a few questions and critical notes.

You wrote:

If a given software product is protected by this license, it means that its development was only made possible through the support of our community and the intention of making it available to the public is that it can benefit our developers and end-users.

please define "the given software product who is protected by this license"

Unfortunately, we saw over the past years a number of competing websites/developers misappropriating our tools, reputation and progress.Some of these developers use all that we offer and give little to nothing in return. If you want to make use of software covered by this license, we only ask that you help us build a stronger community at reboot.pro and actively participate on the construction of this initiative.

Please define "our tools, reputation and progress"
many tools (exe- and cmd-files and other are software or tools?) we use in projekts like win7PE_SE. They are creations of many developers. The projekt win7PE_SE is hosted in several forums for supporting.

Please tell me. Have other community's like "msfn" or the "codebakers" or other lokal, not international community's to ask the reboot.pro administration for all new batches or tools for permission in reboot before publishing? I am shure that many tools are developed outside of reboot.pro.

Terms As official developer at reboot.pro

• You agree that your software distributions where this software is included are exclusively supported at reboot.pro
As a developer not officially associated with reboot.pro
You need to ask permission to allow downloading this software from an external site or tool

1. Could you please give us examples for "software is included are exclusively supported at reboot.pro"?
2. Please tell me, is the Projekt Win7PE_SE a "software" or part of a software for ask the reboot.pro administration to allow downloading from an external site or tool?

What will happen to the hundreds or thousands of download links to reboot.pro from private websites to make advertising for reboot.pro for win7PE_SE and host download for http://w7pese.cwcodes.net/projectindex.php free and other projects yet?

The arguments are laudable to protect intellectual property. But what is it with non-European countries? The license rights protection in other continents and tracking at Offence for unlicensed software yet? who is disadvantaged by a licensing and who is not?

Permissions and terms specified by this license can be revoked or modified in the future. If you do not agree with these terms of usage, you cannot make use of this software.

Please forgive me. :bye:

But that is "in my opinion" absolut

Unacceptable :( :

in the current state for all "WB-Projekts" in which many people in many countries in many forums are involved in intellectual property for a good thing that so far worked without license very well.

My last note: WinBuilder with reboot.pro runs internationally itself. Where are the real problems? Look at your avatar.
Live and let live :cheers:

#11 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

My apologies for not replying to all points, my time is limited so I will reply to the last part and keep the reply short.

My last note: WinBuilder with reboot.pro runs internationally itself. Where are the real problems? Look at your avatar.

You recently registered a domain name as reboot-pro.de and sell a product entitled "SARDU und Reboot-Pro-Multi-Boot-Rettungs-System". This product includes software that is made available for free and/or illegal to sell without a license such as Microsoft Windows.

You mention my avatar. For those who are not aware, it comes from the cover of a popular German magazine that mentions reboot.pro as a trusted place to get further information about Windows PE boot disks. When these German users google for "reboot pro", on google they will see your site as second option because you are "squatting" our domain name and giving the impression that users arrived on the official reboot.pro site in German language, here is an example image from your site:
Posted Image

The reboot.pro community license is the least of your problems. The real problem for your life is the violation of DCMA and ACPA, besides the damage caused to our community by this identity misappropriation.

We both live in Germany, I do not want to complain to the authorities but I want to see this matter solved.
  • pscEx likes this

#12 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 458 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

how sick is this? The type has surely no decency... :
aha, that is because those people have something
they apparently to do... But not enough because a
normal license like GPL or so to tell, "hey, this is lizenced and you cant sell it furter"

btw... is this soft not lizensed and in the German right not handeled ?
but he has stolen it, or ?
And the Rights of Name.. like my Multimoto.. Reboot.Pro name it is saved ??
if you have save the Reboot.pro name so can you go against him and tell it is
the same Name and this is "my" Rights btw the Rights of Reboot.pro

The first shold be saveing of the Name "Reboot.pro" with name ad Logo !
step furter -> terms & conditions and the next step shold be a Reboot.pro Copyright...
who you can binding on on the terms & conditions...

all what it is developed in this forum and under this domain it is

exemple
"is performed without assistance of the author Licensed under the
License of Reboot.pro and terms only in cooperation of the
author and Reboot.pro or silent acquiescence Changing from Autor the Lisence
can determine which license under this is furter, but Reboot.pro can anytime call...~~~
which licence it is the program continue"

best regards
Blacky

Edited by Blackcrack, 16 May 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#13 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

You agree that your software distributions where this software is included are [b]exclusively[/b] supported at reboot.pro

This clause bothers me. What about Win7PE_SE which is also shared on MSFN and TheOven (I prefer to tell it myself than by others).
Am I free to develop this project where I want ?

If we see positive, it is more publicity for WinBuilder than a real competition, Win7PE_SE may even bring people from other site without harming here.
I hope you see it like that !

How to understand the licence for WinBuilder, for projects and authors and maintain a certain freedom.

#14 linuxbaby

linuxbaby

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 139 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

You recently registered a domain name as reboot-pro.de and sell a product entitled "SARDU und Reboot-Pro-Multi-Boot-Rettungs-System". This product includes software that is made available for free and/or illegal to sell without a license such as Microsoft Windows.

Yes, the domain is my intellectual property

I dont sell "SARDU und Reboot-Pro-Multi-Boot-Rettungs-System", i build it with only free bootprogramms with and in cooperation with SARDU for free.
There are NO illegal sell with or without a license such as Microsoft Windows. Now please you have to take care and be careful with libel.

You have not answer me of only one important question in post Nr. 10. http://reboot.pro/16872/#entry154502

EDIT: ...and in my homepage is no competition for you.

My pages are purely informal. When you are in germany you will read right please.

#15 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

You agree that your software distributions where this software is included are [b]exclusively[/b] supported at reboot.pro

This clause bothers me. What about Win7PE_SE which is also shared on MSFN and TheOven (I prefer to tell it myself than by others).

If we see positive, it is more publicity for WinBuilder than a real competition, Win7PE_SE may even bring people from other site without harming here.
I hope you see it like that !

How to understand the licence for WinBuilder, for projects and authors and maintain a certain freedom.

you don't have to use the license. Then it doesn't apply to Win7PE_SE. its definably not going to be feasible for all projects and programs here, but nice to have another option.

#16 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Concerning the new Reboot Community licence/rules (and “threats”):
Is it now ”illegal” using winbuilder.exe (“this software”) to create
winbuilder application scripts & publish them outside reboot.pro?

#17 Max_Real Qnx

Max_Real Qnx

Gold Member

• Patrician
  • 1382 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Apparently, this issue will need to talk more to mutual understanding. Ladies and gentlemen, why did we come together here ? The purpose of our community with our goals is it the same ? If not for the same purpose, if necessary we must withdraw from this road to pave the way for those who will do the job with the right to. Unnecessary conflict is of no benefit to anyone. Please let's not forget that we are in an environment that we share the benefit of every idea. We must use own our strength to be able to make things better. Kind regards :hi:

#18 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

If you want to use software covered by the community license, then what I ask is to help our community keep moving forward.

According to your homepage, Win7PE_SE is supported officially at theoven and MSFN. Not a single link or mention to the community that supported and fostered your project since day one.

If we are not welcome on your list, then I don't want you to feel bothered to add it just because of WinBuilder. You are welcome to keep using the current Winbuilder as always. If you say that users will still know that we somehow existed, your word is sufficient to me.

Just understand that this community is very dear to me. Some of the new tools that I publish will be using this license.

Concerning the new Reboot Community licence/rules (and “threats”):
Is it now ”illegal” using winbuilder.exe (“this software”) to create
winbuilder application scripts & publish them outside reboot.pro?

My friend, you can continue working as before, no changes are required and I am here to help in whatever is needed.

I dont sell "SARDU und Reboot-Pro-Multi-Boot-Rettungs-System", i build it with only free bootprogramms with and in cooperation with SARDU for free.
There are NO illegal sell with or without a license such as Microsoft Windows. Now please you have to take care and be careful with libel.
My pages are purely informal. When you are in germany you will read right please.

You are selling pendisks with the OS installed at the choice of the author where several brands of Windows are listed as option: http://reboot-pro.de...meine_Info.html
Also, if someone has to "donate" money in order to get a product or service, I call this act as "selling".

Yes, the domain is my intellectual property

It is cyber-squatting: http://www.squidoo.com/cyber-squatting or in this case to be more specific, trafficking.

This matter has little to with the topic being discussed here, please start a new topic so that we can talk this further. I see nothing wrong in helping others in exchange for a fee, I just want visitors to be well informed that they are not visiting a site associated with reboot.pro

#19 linuxbaby

linuxbaby

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 139 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

You are selling pendisks with the OS installed at the choice of the author where several brands of Windows are listed as option: http://reboot-pro.de...meine_Info.html
Also, if someone has to "donate" money in order to get a product or service, I call this act as "selling".

You have not (in second memory) answer me for only one important question in post Nr. 10. http://reboot.pro/16872/#entry154502

and you cant read all?

http://reboot-pro.de/Bestellen.html

Wichtig: Bei Bestellung einer der verschiedenen Windows-Live-Systeme muss uns, aus linzenzrechtlichen Gründen, die Original-CD/DVD oder- Datenträger vorliegen und
Einzelheiten zum Bau der Win-Live-Systeme geklärt werden.

"in english for you: "Important: When ordering any of the various Windows Live systems we need on the basis of the license right the original Media-CD/DVD
and details of the construction for the win-live systems must be clarified."

Please take care and be careful with libel at renewed time and ...
under observance of the equal treatment of all users regardless of their origin and popularity.
the one have permissions without license rights to make you popularity, the other not ... can not be taken seriously.
license Right must apply to all but not only for individual user.

#20 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:19 AM

According to your homepage, Win7PE_SE is supported officially at theoven and MSFN. Not a single link or mention to the community that supported and fostered your project since day one.

Without going into old stories, you will understand... Done.
I agree with Max post #17, Is it shared by all ex !

What about new tools, can we share them in the same way, here and elsewhere.

#21 davidecosta

davidecosta

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 678 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

A license expresses the thoughts and desires from the author in regards to his software.

Even with a license, some people take advantage of good will and use it for their own benefit. In these cases, the license terms are called to help the developer see his rights recognized. Here is an example from a project that we supported in the past:
http://www.sarducd.i...llegal-t88.html

I received some emails like as:

My name is ****** I purcased the Gateway Laptop computer Recovery CD from you. The reason of which I purchase the CD is because I purchase this computer from someone and the person has his information on it such document and password. I can use the computer but I the reason is that I want to remove all the information on it and register the computer in my name as new. in other word, I want to clean and want to register the computer to its factory setting. It that anyway that you help me to make it work? Because I have tried so many times to clean it and register the computer in my name, is not working at all. Is this CD reall for this computer?.......

or

hi i bought your cd but i am having difficulty trying to recover the deleted window file that i deleted accidentally . please explain how to recover my deleted windows file. i am using a emachine t3516 intel computer. please email me back at ......

My opinion is that if something is free why sell it? Why should I take care and be responsible for a thing sold by others who took it for free?
Biggest software house give their free software and then earn from other sources, using such software for advertising, to sell professional versions, my daughter eats from my job of selling wine and liquor, for now the computer science it's just a real cost, this is the reason why I slowed down but no one forced me to do it, develop or not develope is only one my choice.
My software is not necessary, all people can do whatever makes my software by hand, logically to get the same job that my software creates is in a few minutes it would take hours, days, having the capacity and the knowledge.
People are free to use my software and accept the license (Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives (CC BY-NC-ND) ).

Sorry for my bad english

Davide

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: license

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users