6 replies to this topic

#1 Flux

Flux

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

do you guys think it would be possible to port the windows 7 shell to windows 8? I've already been successful in running alternate shells, such as bs explorer, and emerge desktop - but none of them that I've tried so far are very decent. What I want is a windows 8 core, with a windows 7 shell. Yes, I know I can use ViStart or Classic Shell to add the start menu and whatnot, but it's still not quite the same. The best part of replacing the shell is that the metro interface doesn't start up. It seems the registry key that you can change to always start the desktop has been removed in build 8250.

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

You would basicly need to port the Win7 explorer. It has been done successfully with Vista explorer to Win7 in PE, but if this is also possible in a full Windows or even Win8, i do not know.

:cheers:
  • Brito likes this

#3 Flux

Flux

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

well, I tried copying the explorer.exe file, and running straight up like that as the startup shell, but it gave me a lovely "0xc0000142" error.
Any insight?
I may just have to rely on customizing one of the alternate shells like BS Explorer or something. but I'd love to get the windows 7 shell working on it.

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

:lol: You can't just copy the explorer.exe over!
This is tricky business, if it works at all. You will have to find the right blend of old and new files, that explorer.exe depends on for proper operation.

It's like building a Monstertruck. Yes it is doable. But you can't just slab some bigger tires on your car.

#5 Flux

Flux

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

yeah I figured as much.
although I just had a thought.
I was poking around and remembered that Win7PE has a script that copies a bunch of files over to allow including the explorer shell. So I think that might be a good place to look at starting.

http://pastebin.com/P05WQGw5

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

That idea is not half bad and for sure a better point to start, than to do it from scratch.

I wish you good luck, though i have to say, i still don't understand, where you see the difference betwenn Win7 shell and Win8 shell with 3rd party start menu.

btw. You can probably improve your chances of success, if you use instead of the Win7 files, the ones from Win8 Developer Preview.

#7 hydeist

hydeist

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

http://www.msfn.org/...-for-windows-8/

someone already ported it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users