darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hi

Hope I have chosen correct forum to ask this - apologies if not..

Can anyone recommend a good tool or method for driver backup/restore

Basically it is for deployment of lots of PC's - various different models etc

I want to restore an OS image and then be able to via command line or similar be able to run a tool that will automatically install drivers depending on model you choose

I have tried double driver which works okay and I can install one PC - backup drivers and then restore this backup to any other computers of same make/model to speed up deployment

Any other suggestions/ideas etc etc

Cheers

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

Is this really a "restore" of an image or is it an "installation", where you could just add any missing drivers to the PE's install.wim using something like DISM. And while not an "out of the box" solution, I would guess that something like grabbing all the drivers you need (like from the driver packs) and putting them onto a disk would also be a way to make sure that all the drivers are available. Then just let windows install them...

Sort of like what the PnP util does inside the WinPE's...

Seems to me that double driver's just doing something similar - i.e. lets you select the currently installed drivers, and "stores" them so they can be used to re-install them...

Have you tried anything like that?

:cheers:
Scott

#3 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

not sure if I explained myself too well

I have a windows 7 image created with imagex - which I then restore to all new computers - this just has basic drivers and all required apps on it

I then want to have an easier way of installing all drivers - currently we have to go through the setup routines for all the chipset, network, wireless, bluetooth, touchpad etc etc drivers

I tried double driver just because I had seen it mentioned on a website - and it worked well for me - I created a backup of the drivers from a working model of the desktop and a backup from a working laptop - and then as I deployed more desktops/laptops I simply ran double driver chose relevant backup (i.e. laptop or desktop) and it installed all the drivers in one go - without having to click next, next etc through 8 or 9 installation programs

I don't want to modify my image - as it is working fine, and just has drivers that are the same across all models of desktop and laptops I am deploying - I had thought of installing all drivers on the image, but this would mean the image would have drivers for several different makes/models of laptop/desktop and could have issues with conflicts and certainly wasted space storing drivers not needed on all systems

Hope this explains it better

#4 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

This maybe:

http://driverpacks.n...erpack-solution

using this:

http://drp.su/download.htm (Full version)

#5 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

This maybe:

http://driverpacks.n...erpack-solution

using this:

http://drp.su/download.htm (Full version)

Thanks I will take a look - I assume it will do it from a supplied set of drivers - rather than the internet though

EDIT: looks like it comes with driverpacks - so not really what I am looking for - as I already have the drivers I need and don't want gig's of unwanted drivers - just the ones for my set of machines - thanks for suggestion though

#6 saddlejib

saddlejib

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 270 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

why not make your drivers the driver packs

#7 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

why not make your drivers the driver packs

hadn't realised you could - just downloaded lite version and tried it and seems quite good - apart from some of it foreign language desptie choosing english

Thanks

#8 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

can anyone recommend an alternative to DriverPack Solution?

It is okay, but missed some drivers and I don't like the fact it adds in its name and logo to the system information page in Windows - this will not be acceptable for my corporate customers unfortunately

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users