misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

MiniXP

The MiniXP project is based on Dietmar Stoelting's XPSP1 with full commandline and NTFS below 10 MB.

See here for the project homepage. Please refer also to the XPSP1 with full commandline thread (see link above). This project is a WinBuilder wrapper for one of the XP project's discussed in the XPSP1 with full commandline thread. It can be used to create a small Windows XP based installation that can be booted from a physical hard disk or a hard disk image file - RAM disks and file backed disks are supported.

A Windows XP CD, I386 folder share or an existing Windows XP install can all be used as source for the project.

The website and project download include documentation and instructions for using the project. At the moment I recommend testing in a Virtual Machine only - QEMU is included in the project.

This is a minimal XP install - the core files are approximately 23 MB. If all included project scripts are enabled, the build size is approximately 40 MB. This includes -
  • a43 file manager
  • BBLean shell
  • WinVBlock
  • FAT/CDFS and NTFS support
  • Diskpart
  • Format
  • Regedit
  • Task Manager
  • Notepad
  • Calc
All this in a 4.28 MB download!

This is a beta release. Please test and feedback - the more feedback the better.

Regards,

Misty
  • TheHive and reseacher like this

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

MiniXP Project files (Beta 2012-04-24)
Test gather files from Installed Windows XP on Computer HD not from ISO nor i386 folder.

Worked.
1.jpg

from other thread
Suggestion rought draft. Someone else might have a way to have a user be able to see the Html contents within Winbuilder. I dont know how.

1.jpg

#3 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

minixp Image made with the latest Project is booting OK from grub4dos menu on HDD and can also be loaded from USB into RAMDISK. :)

For booting as FILEDISK on USB some more files and registry tweaks are needed as used in XPCMD Image files
http://www.911cd.net...ndpost&p=171258

You need extra USB driver files as given in file copy_xpcmd.txt of IMG_XPCMD\XPCMD_SRC:

; USB drive support - needed to boot as FILEDISK

\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll

\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbd.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbohci.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbport.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys

Also needed are USB registry tweaks given in HKLM_systemdst_USB_XPCMD.reg of IMG_XPCMD\XPCMD_SRC\registry_tweaks

And you need to add UsbBootWatcher files to your system32 from IMG_XPCMD\makebt\UsbBootWatcher\x86

Without all these you will get BSOD 7B when booting from USB.

I tried to support USB-mouse and keyboard but cannot succeed by improving Dietmar's limited registry.
Have been adding files and extra registry to Dietmar's system but it is not working for me.

Then I tried to use my registry of Installed XP and then I can support USB-mouse and keyboard and WLAN Internet
in a slimmed down Mini XP of 100 MB made with modified XPCMD.exe
using a source where Audio and Video driver and Printer were not installed.

So it can work but you need better registry and more files.

:cheers:

XPCMD-130.png
  • misty likes this

#4 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

@TheHive

MiniXP Project files (Beta 2012-04-24). Test gather files from Installed Windows XP on Computer HD not from ISO nor i386 folder...Worked.

The first confirmed report of a successful build with the latest scripts. Thanks.

Suggestion rought draft. Someone else might have a way to have a user be able to see the Html contents within Winbuilder. I dont know how.

Thanks for the continuing support and suggestions.

I have managed to launch the help files included in the download via the default web browser and will include it in the next build - this simply involves running the following command, which can be executed using a button -
ShellExecute,Open,"%BaseDir%\Projects\docs\index.html"

I was beginning to worry that your previous suggestions about including ImDisk were bordering on harassment ;) - hope you noticed the inclusion of the option to install it in the new build.

@wimb

minixp Image made with the latest Project is booting OK from grub4dos menu on HDD and can also be loaded from USB into RAMDISK. :)

For booting as FILEDISK on USB some more files and registry tweaks are needed as used in XPCMD Image files
http://www.911cd.net...ndpost&p=171258

You need extra USB driver files as given in file copy_xpcmd.txt of IMG_XPCMD\XPCMD_SRC.......

Thanks for testing. Hopefully the latest version worked with your source files. The latest build will attempt to extract all core project files from driver.cab and SP#.cab as a backup in the event of the files not being in the default places.

Thanks also for the information on adding USB support for file backed disks - this is on my list of things to do and I will add it to MiniXP as soon as possible. My priority at the moment is improving the documentation.

Regards,

Misty

#5 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I have managed to launch the help files included in the download via the default web browser and will include it in the next build - this simply involves running the following command, which can be executed using a button

Great!

I was beginning to worry that your previous suggestions about including ImDisk were bordering on harassment ;) - hope you noticed the inclusion of the option to install it in the new build.

:loleverybody: You're funny. I wouldnt be making suggesting if it would not make the other new users interested in such a quest project experience easier to follow in the now or future,future :good: .

imdisk install not available in the MiniXP Project files (Beta 2012-04-24) release.

Before i forget, can you make a repository folder on the site of older minixp zip projects. Just in case in couple of months, years some one stumbles on this project and wants older reference files from one of the older zips.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

@TheHive
Since you are our resident graphical designer :worship:, what about making a bootvid.dll for the MiniXP? :dubbio:
Do you remember the good ol' times? :unsure:
http://reboot.pro/339/
http://reboot.pro/360/

Wonko

#7 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

imdisk install not available in the MiniXP Project files (Beta 2012-04-24) release.

It's there - the option just might not be as easy to find as I'd hoped.

Posted Image

Before i forget, can you make a repository folder on the site of older minixp zip projects. Just in case in couple of months, years some one stumbles on this project and wants older reference files from one of the older zips.

They are already on the site - I just haven't linked to them yet. Until now - see here

Regards,

Misty

#8 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

XPCMD can be further improved.

Here is the result of XPCMD Image with OS Size = 100 MB in 200 MB Image file
which has support for USB-mouse and keyboard and Device + Disk Management Console
and WLAN Internet support. Most Portable Apps are running.

Posted Image

#9 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

For needed USB files have alook here: http://msdn.microsof...h406256(v=VS.85).aspx

#10 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

MedEvil

The Link you posted is broken.

It's there - the option just might not be as easy to find as I'd hoped.

Posted Image

Mmm! Its at the end. But the user needs it at the beginning.
I was thinking something like this

Just edited scripts to make show the layout. The Minlogon script was based of the script for Acronis-DiskDirector10 from LiveXP.
http://thehive.reboo...es/Required.zip

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are already on the site - I just haven't linked to them yet. Until now - see here

Regards,

Misty

You where ahead of me on this one.

#11 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:08 AM

Other ideas.

If someone adds the bblean shell to the project
add the following text to the command prompt when it loads up
type "shell" to launch bblean
Posted Image

#12 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4198 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

@TheHive
Since you are our resident graphical designer :worship:, what about making a bootvid.dll for the MiniXP? :dubbio:
Do you remember the good ol' times? :unsure:
http://reboot.pro/339/
http://reboot.pro/360/

Wonko

As you can remember we ended up not using them.

#13 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:43 AM

MedEvil

The link is http://msdn.microsof...6(v=VS.85).aspx - the link MedEvil posted missed off the ).aspx at the end.

Mmm! Its at the end. But the user needs it at the beginning.
I was thinking something like this..

ImDisk is only a requirement of the Finish script, which is why I added the option in that script. Whilst your suggestion would definitely make the option to install ImDisk more visible, it adds yet another script for the user to wade through. I'll have more of a think about the suggestions, but I want to keep the scripts (at least the one's visible to the end user) to a minimum if possible.

You where ahead of me on this one.

Sort of. They were there, but I don't know when I'd have gotten around to linking to them.

Other ideas....If someone adds the bblean shell to the project add the following text to the command prompt when it loads up type "shell" to launch bblean.

Not sure how to do this. Will add it to the project if anyone can tell me how. I would prefer to be able to automatically launch bblean if possible, but again I don't actually know how.

Thanks again TheHive

Regards,

Misty

#14 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

@wimb

; USB drive support - needed to boot as FILEDISK

\WINDOWS\system32\hccoin.dll

\WINDOWS\system32\usbui.dll

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbd.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbohci.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbport.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys

\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbuhci.sys

Also needed are USB registry tweaks given in HKLM_systemdst_USB_XPCMD.reg of IMG_XPCMD\XPCMD_SRC\registry_tweaks

And you need to add UsbBootWatcher files to your system32 from IMG_XPCMD\makebt\UsbBootWatcher\x86

I tried adding all of the above files and the registry tweaks you mentioned (minus the entries for USB 3.0 drivers, which I do not have or require), but have not made any progress.

After adding all of the above, the build stalled at the splash screen. The splash screen looked greyed out and did not display a progress bar. This happened when booting a disk image on an attached USB hard disk, and booting a disk image on an internal hard disk with (and without) a USB device attached.

I'd prefer to be able to isolate just mass storage support initially, for those that do not require USB file backed disk support. Any suggestions.

Regards,

Misty

#15 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

usbccgp.sys is used at USB keyboard. Not used at storage.
wmilib.sys is uses at USB too. However this default driver is included already.

As for USB controller, hub, storage

usbehci.sys
usbohci.sys
usbuhci.sys
usbport.sys
usbhub.sys
usbd.sys
usbstor.sys
wmilib.sys

Seems to be another issue. registry?
  • misty likes this

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

As you can remember we ended up not using them.

Yep, but that was loong ago, and at the time it was about a "generic" Winbuilder bootscreen, MiniXP may "deserve" a special treatment :).

@Misty
Try running pserv.
It should be rather easy to add it to your build.
This info is about the 2.7 version (haven't tried 3.0 yet):
http://p-nand-q.com/.../pserv_cpl.html
Dependencies should be:

PSERV2.EXE
NTDLL.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
PSAPI.DLL
MFC42.DLL
MSVCRT.DLL
GDI32.DLL
USER32.DLL
ADVAPI32.DLL
RPCRT4.DLL
SHELL32.DLL
SHLWAPI.DLL
COMCTL32.DLL
COMCTL32.DLL
PSERV2_ENGLISH.DLL
NETAPI.DLL

Wonko

#17 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Misty, i'm not quite sure, is MiniXP what it says, a Mini XP or is it a mislabled PE1?
If the later, you can forget about the registry and load the USB drivers via txtsetup.sif

#18 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I tryed 3 times to correct it, it doesn't take.
Gave an info to Nuno about the problem.

#19 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

@cdob

usbccgp.sys is used at USB keyboard. Not used at storage.
wmilib.sys is uses at USB too. However this default driver is included already.

Seems to be another issue. registry?

Thanks for the response. I'll continue to look into this. It's most probably a registry issue. Might be an issue with my netbook - I'll retest on another PC. BTW, does the registry need to contain entries for usbport.sys? Also are any .inf files required?

@MedEvil

Misty, i'm not quite sure, is MiniXP what it says, a Mini XP or is it a mislabled PE1?
If the later, you can forget about the registry and load the USB drivers via txtsetup.sif

It's the former - based on Dietmar's XPSP1 with full commandline and NTFS below 10 MB. It's definitely not a mislabeled PE1x.

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Misty

#20 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I tryed 3 times to correct it, it doesn't take.
Gave an info to Nuno about the problem.

As a temporary measure, I usually manually type my url's using the syntax -

[url="web address"]text to display[/url]

Regards,

Misty

#21 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

In that case, shouldn't it be easy to get the correct registry keys from an installed XP? :dubbio:
Just search the registry for all driver files and export, what you find.
Also don't forget the root entries and critical devices database, which might be linked to those drivers as well.

#22 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

@MedEvil

In that case, shouldn't it be easy to get the correct registry keys from an installed XP? :dubbio:
Just search the registry for all driver files and export.....

That is an option. As both cdob and wimb have reported success with USB mass storage I'd prefer to be lazy and just use their work.

Regards,

Misty

#23 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

What is your XP Source ? Mine is XP SP3, what you should use also I think ....and not GOLD or so.
In XP SP3 you have the latest USB drivers (check the difference in date).

Did you modify the registry tweaks for your load name ? For me SYSTEM registry is loaded as systemdst
You can check if the actual settings in the SYSTEM registry for the usb services is correct or not
and see if USBBootwatcher files and USB drivers are at the correct place.

Try to use IMG_XPCMD.exe with XP SP3 as Source and see if USB booting works for you.
If succes then make comparison with your minixp build (any files different ?)

#24 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

USB Mass Storage is kind of working. I've tested this successfully with Service Pack 2 and 3 source files - Service Pack 1 is not working (it still hangs at the splash screen). I've not bothered testing with Gold source files, as the USB 2.0 settings in cdob's registry settings were not (AFAIK) implemented until SP1.

The following files were copied to \WINDOWS\System32\Drivers directory -
  • usbehci.sys
  • usbohci.sys
  • usbuhci.sys
  • usbport.sys
  • usbhub.sys
  • usbd.sys
  • usbstor.sys
The following registry settings (from a post of cdob's) were applied -

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#CC_0C0300]

"ClassGUID"="{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}"

"Service"="usbuhci"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#CC_0C0310]

"Service"="usbohci"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#CC_0C0320]

"Service"="usbehci"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\usb#class_08]

"Service"="USBSTOR"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\USB#CLASS_09]

"Service"="usbhub"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\USB#ROOT_HUB]

"Service"="usbhub"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\USB#ROOT_HUB20]

"Service"="usbhub"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\usbhub]

"DisplayName"="Microsoft USB Standard Hub Driver"

"Group"="System Bus Extender"

"ImagePath"=hex(2):5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

74,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,64,00,72,\

00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,75,00,73,00,62,00,68,00,75,00,62,00,\

2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001

"Start"=dword:00000000

"Type"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\usbohci]

"DisplayName"="Microsoft USB Open Host Controller Miniport Driver"

"Group"="Boot Bus Extender"

"ImagePath"=hex(2):5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,00,\

00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,75,00,73,00,62,00,6f,00,68,00,63,00,\

69,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\usbuhci]

"DisplayName"="Microsoft USB Universal Host Controller Miniport Driver"

00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,75,00,73,00,62,00,75,00,68,00,63,00,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\usbehci]

"DisplayName"="Microsoft USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Miniport Driver"

00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,75,00,73,00,62,00,65,00,68,00,63,00,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\usbstor]

"Group"="SCSI miniport"

"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\

52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,55,00,53,00,42,00,53,00,54,00,4f,\

00,52,00,2e,00,53,00,59,00,53,00,00,00

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help (cdob, MedEvil, wimb and Wonko the Sane).

Next step will be USB File Backed Disk support.

Would also love to get this working with Gold and SP1 sources - suggestions are welcome.

We are now now in the unfortunate position where diskpart is only working with Gold and SP1 sources, and USB Mass Storage is only working with SP2 and SP3. :frusty: :realmad: :ranting2: :angry:

Regards,

Misty

#25 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1066 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

@Wonko

@Misty
Try running pserv.....
Dependencies should be.....

I missed this when I read your post earlier - did you edit the post?

The current version is 2.7. It is released as freeware with a very liberal, BSD-style license.

Looks like a very useful application. Thanks.

Regards,

Misty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users