93 replies to this topic

#1 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

first a build a wim.boot with with standard as bootmanager.
as result i get an .iso, with no bootmenu booting directly win7pe_se into ram (boot.wim).
after that, i create a nother project with direkt-boot (no boot.wim).
after winbuilder is finish with this, i change it to multiboot and grub4dos again.
i create an folder: /Boot/IMG/ in wich i put all my isos:
(the first createt wim.boot-win7pe.iso wich boot into ram and other isos).
then create menu.lst and put it to the compilation.
if i now going back to the script "create-iso", i can create my own multiboot-iso-compilation.

so i have two windows7_pe in the project:
the first createt iso wich is now in Boot/Img/ and the normal build direct boot windows7pe, wich is in: poject-dir/target/win7pe/Windows
the direct-boot windows, get startet with:
title Win7PE
chainloader /BOOTMGR
the first createt boot.wim windows7Pe gets startet for example like this:

title Win7PE_SE
map /Boot/IMG/Win7.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

so i have an project with two windows7: one that boots direct and needs not much ram and one wich is direct booting into ram, wich needs much ram, but its faster if its loaded.
this is the only working way i found out, to build a projects wich works on every machine:; computers with low ram and computers wich much ram.
so far so good:
i put also other isos into /Boot/IMG.
the problem is now, if i put much isos in this folder so the createt iso is over 4gb big, then the createt direct boot windows7.iso (not bot.wim) on my iso-compilation, isn t working correctly anyore.
i get an message like: "winload.exe was not found or corrupt".
if i reduce the size of the final iso to 4gb or lower, then everything is working correctly.
but i need to find a way to have this two windows7 on my iso-compilation and the compilation should be bigger then 4gb.
otherwise it make no sense for me becouse i can t even use the full space of an normal dvd and from a double layer i will not even talk.
so i hope there is an easy enduser-compatible way (clear understundable instructions), to solve this problem
it would be nice, if anyone of the experts here, can help an not so experienced enduser with esay instructions to solve the spoken problem.
i hope you understund what i mean, becouse i know my english is terrible:)

best regards
livedude

Edited by livedude, 09 April 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#2 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

i put also other isos into /Boot/IMG.

Can you use another directory name? /zImg/
Other ISO images are sorted at end of media that way. This may solve the sort layout issue or not.

so i hope there is an easy enduser-compatible way (clear understundable instructions), to solve this problem

Issue haven't arised in VistaPE or Win7PE before. There is no solution described so far.
Does help above work around?

Which parts do you include to DVD?
Can you upload the menu.lst file?

Most end user use a USB mass storage drive nowadays. A DVD is used seldom nowadays.
May I ask: why do you need a DVD/Blu-ray?

#3 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hello cdob,

thanks for your feedback and happy eastern;)

Can you use another directory name? /zImg/

just tried it. no luck, still the same problem. as soon as the iso gets bigger then 4gb, then the message apear: winload.exe not found or corruptet something and an error code.

Issue haven't arised in VistaPE or Win7PE before.

not sure, but i think i have found some pieces in the net, wich have direct or not direct something to do with the spoken problem:

http://www.techtalkz...lem-solved.html (tried it without luck)

http://reboot.pro/2804/
http://reboot.pro/15134/
http://reboot.pro/3964/
Q: Error loading winload.exe
A: This error is most probably induced by mistakes in building process. Check for errors while running WinBuilder in the log: http://wb.paraglider...cts/win7pe.html
http://www.msfn.org/...n/page__st__160
and some others

Which parts do you include to DVD?

target dir from wich the iso will be createt contains:

name: Win7PE_SE:
content:
Boot (/IMG in wich i put my isos/)
Program Files
ProgramData
Programs
sources (no bot.wim in it!)
Users
Windows (there is the build win7 in it with several files. no boot.wim. it boots directly with parameter:
title Win7PE
chainloader /BOOTMGR
and several other files like menu.lst are also in it.

Can you upload the menu.lst file?

sure. its working, but please see it more as an early protoytype;)
-----------------

splashimage /Boot/face.gz
default 0

title Win7PE_SE (Windows7-Live-System/direct-Boot/Min. 256MB Ram) - boots the windows from target: Windows
chainloader /BOOTMGR

title Win7PE_SE (Windows7-Live-System/In Ram-Boot/Min. 800MB Ram!) - boots the windows from target: /Boot/IMG/win7.iso
map /Boot/IMG/Win7.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

title TrueImageHome2012
map /Boot/IMG/TrueImageHome2012.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

title Redo-Backup-and-Recovery-1.0.1-stable
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Boot/Redo-Backup-and-Recovery-1.0.1-stable.iso
map /Boot/IMG/Redo-Backup-and-Recovery-1.0.1-stable.iso (0xff) || map --mem /Boot/IMG/Redo-Backup-and-Recovery-1.0.1-stable.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz cdrom-detect/try-usb=true noprompt floppy.allowed_drive_mask=0 ignore_uuid boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/Boot/IMG/Redo.iso vga=791 locale=es_ES bootkbd=es console-setup/layoutcode=es quiet splash
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

title MiniToolPartitionWizardHomeEdition7.1
map /Boot/IMG/MiniToolPartitionWizardHomeEdition7.1.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

title PartetMagic.27.2.2012
find --set-root /pmagic/pmagic_2012_2_27.iso
map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /pmagic/pmagic_2012_2_27.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader

title MemTest86+ 4.20
kernel /Boot/IMG/MEMTEST.BIN
lock

title Plop Boot Manager
kernel /Boot/IMG/PLPBT.BIN
lock

title UBCD-FreeDosV.340
map /Boot/IMG/UBCD-FreeDosV.340.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

*title win7 installation:
found no understundable way with clear instructions to do this (for an untouched win7.iso) atm;(
maybe be later if i have clear instructions/informations.

*title winxp-installation with an untouched iso and no ram disk:
found no understundable way with clear instructions to do this (for an untouched winxp.iso) atm;(

title Windows-XP-Home-SP3 Installation (Min 711MB Ram)
find --set-root /Boot/IMG/firadisk.img
map --mem /Boot/IMG/firadisk.img (fd0)
map --mem /Boot/IMG/WindowsXP-Home-SP3.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader

title Windows-XP-Professional-SP3 Installation (Min 711MB Ram)
find --set-root /Boot/IMG/firadisk.img
map --mem /Boot/IMG/firadisk.img (fd0)
map --mem /Boot/IMG/WindowsXP-Home-SP3.iso (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader
--------------------------------

May I ask: why do you need a DVD/Blu-ray?

of course. every computer with an cd/dvd/bluray-drive, can also boot from it, but long not all computers with usb, can also boot from usb! respective older computers (but also some of newer ones) can t boot from usb. my project should run on as many computers as possible, for diagnostic, recovery and so on purpose.
so starting such an system from dvd/bluray, gives you a much better compatibility then to start it from usb.
in some cases you can trick this old computers out, wich can t boot native from usb with an bootmanager called plop-bootmanager.
but for starting this plop-bootmanager on these older computers, you need anyhow, in any case a cd/dvd/optical medium on wich it is and if you need anyhow, in any case an optical medium, then you can also use it alike for the whole live system.

best regards
livedude

[

Edited by livedude, 09 April 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

One alternative would be to make just ONE win7PE...but use the switches on the individual tools to put some things "in" the Ram disk image (boot.wim) and leave others on the "CD"...There is a global setting that sets a default, but there are settings on many of the application scripts.
ScreenHunter_04 Apr. 09 20.24.jpg
That is just one example. Then you could have a relatively small boot.wim file that runs from RAM, but that accesses programs on the physical CD.

My guess is that somehow the WINLOAD process doesn't like a file system >4Gb...But I'm sure others may also chime in.

Good Luck!
:cheers:
Scott

#5 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

Hi Scott,
thank you for your hints!

One alternative would be to make just ONE win7PE...but use the switches on the individual tools to put some things "in" the Ram disk image (boot.wim) and leave others on the "CD

i already do this this way. but the createt boot.wim needs to much ram, at least 700 till 800mb.
and there are also some apps you can t run from cd/dvd, becouse they need write-axces.
for example anti-virus-programms like avira, wich update their virus-defenitions.

My guess is that somehow the WINLOAD process doesn't like a file system >4Gb...But I'm sure others may also chime in.

yes, this was my first thought, too;)

Greetings
livedude

Edited by livedude, 10 April 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Instead of bootIMG, try putting your "other .iso's" in zootIMG (not in bootzimg).

This will move the folder at the end of the build.

The issue is most probably connected to a limitation of the Winload.exe or some other "early boot" files, exactly as it is known for SETUPLDR:BIN:
http://reboot.pro/16596/page__st__39

Check your "normally" built DVD and the one built as per above with a tool that allows to see actual LBA position of files, like ISOINFO:
http://reboot.pro/12406/

Which specific tool are you using to create the DVD?
mkisofs?
If yes, with which specific command line? (please post it).
If no, why not?

Wonko

#7 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Thank you Wonko for helping!
i know that we have different sights on some things, therefore i appreciate that you help even thorugh;)

Instead of bootIMG, try putting your "other .iso's" in zootIMG (not in bootzimg).

i tried it, and it seems to work. createt iso is about 4.5gb big and win boots without this winload.exe corrupt or not found message.
till now it looks good, but to be sure that it really works, i must make some further tests, as soon as i find the time.
also thanks to cdob. i think he meaned the same, but i did not understood it corerctly first:)

The issue is most probably connected to a limitation of the Winload.exe or some other "early boot" files, exactly as it is known for SETUPLDR:BIN:

yeah, Scott and i also thought that it has something to do with the winload.exe. good to know.

Which specific tool are you using to create the DVD?

after bulding the project with winbuilder and after i inject my isos, i use the "create-iso"-script to build the dvd.

mkisofs?

yes, the create iso script will uses mkisofs

i use the fixed version of mkisofs from ChrisR: Thank you again for this Chris!
thread about it is here: http://reboot.pro/16612/

If yes, with which specific command line? (please post it).

sorry, i can t answer that, becouse i use the commandline that create-iso-script has implementet.
if it helps, i can also upload this script that you can take a look. but i think this script is known and it comes with several projects.
i use the one from the project; Win7PE_SE.

Greetings
livedude

Edited by livedude, 10 April 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#8 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

no luck, still the same problem. as soon as the iso gets bigger then 4gb, then the message apear: winload.exe not found or corruptet something and an error code.

I wonder:
it's a file system limitation at bootmgr
or a address limitation at bootmgr

Which LBA goes to winload.exe?

http://www.isobuster...lp.php?help=420
http://www.isobuster...lp.php?help=420

IsoBuster free does display the relating LBA.
http://www.isobuster...ense-models.php
http://www.isobuster...ense-models.php

not sure, but i think i have found some pieces in the net, wich have direct or not direct something to do with the spoken problem

Of course other conditions may relate winload errors too.

I understand current issue:
a flat file PE2, PE3 or PE4 at optical media greater 4 GB

A flat file PE1 with setupldr.bin reads first 4 GB at optical media.

Given menu.lst contains windows and *nix parts.
Different opeating systems prefer different file systems at optical media.
It's difficult to select the proper combination.
This limits possible file system and file extensions.

my project should run on as many computers as possible

Do you use reliable DVD drives?
Do you use reliable double layer reading DVD drives?
Does this limits to single layer DVD? Do you use double layer DVD media?
Do you use a Blu-Ray media?

What about several boot media?
USB drives
one XP DVD and some *nix tools
one Windows 7 DVD including relating PE3
one Windows 7 DVD including relating PE3

What about UEFI systems?

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

if it helps, i can also upload this script that you can take a look. but i think this script is known and it comes with several projects.
i use the one from the project; Win7PE_SE.

Naah, what might help is if you open the .script and read the actual mkisofs command line in it and post it.
(this way you will also understand how there is no particular "magic" in a .script, only a sequence of commands, and if needed, you will be able to change those commands).

Wonko

#10 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Hi cdob,

correction:

I wonder:
it's a file system limitation at bootmgr
or a address limitation at bootmgr

it seems to work, look here:

i tried it, and it seems to work. createt iso is about 4.5gb big and win boots without this winload.exe corrupt or not found message.
till now it looks good, but to be sure that it really works, i must make some further tests, as soon as i find the time.

also thanks to cdob. i think he meaned the same, but i did not understood it corerctly first:)

Do you use reliable DVD drives?

i hope so:) its a normal 20 euro dvd-writer i use.

Does this limits to single layer DVD? Do you use double layer DVD media?

atm i am useing single-layer dvd`s, but later on i will expand my project to double layer dvd`s.

Do you use a Blu-Ray media?

no, becouse it makes no sense atm. bluray-medias are still to expensive.
maybe i will use them later if the prices drop to an aceptable level.

What about several boot media?

not an good idea, becouse i want to have one optical media for all purpose and not different media`s for different purposes.

What about UEFI systems?

i don t know much about uefi-system yet. all i know is that my newer board has support for that;)

best regards
livedude

#11 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Naah, what might help is if you open the .script and read the actual mkisofs command line in it and post it.

Yes Sir:) but before i can do this, i must first know, wich of all the content from the script, are the mkisofs commandlines.
as one who has no experiences and short bevor even didn t know what mkisofs is at all, so this is not such easy for me, like it will maybe sounds. i bet this are the commandlines, but i am not sure. but look yourself:
------------------

ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,#$q%Tools%mkisofs.exe#$q,"-iso-level 4#$s-force-uppercase -volid #$q%Volume_Name%#$q -b #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 -hide boot.catalog#$s-duplicates-once -o #$q%ISOfileVar%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q"

[CompatibleCD]
If,Not,%BootSector%,Equal,"IsoLinux",ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,#$q%Tools%mkisofs.exe#$q,"-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid #$q%Volume_Name%#$q -A #$qGRLDR/MKISOFS#$q -sysid #$qWin32#$q -b #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o #$q%ISOfileVar%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q"
Else,ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,#$q%Tools%mkisofs.exe#$q,"-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid #$q%Volume_Name%#$q -A #$qGRLDR/MKISOFS#$q -sysid #$qWin32#$q -b #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -c isolinux/boot.cat -boot-info-table -duplicates-once -o #$q%ISOfileVar%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q"
----------------------------

(this way you will also understand how there is no particular "magic" in a .script, only a sequence of commands, and if needed, you will be able to change those commands).

thank you, but i already know this;) its only a thing of the right commandline, syntax and stuff.
this is absolut clear for me. but if you don t know the programm, you don t know the syntax and such things like mkisofs are very complex....

so thx again, till now everything seems to be working. if i find the time i re-check everything again and respond.
thx again for your help!

best regards
livedude

Edited by livedude, 10 April 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#12 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

The easiest way is to look into the log.htm. :smart:

The executed line is NOT greyed as 'skipped', and the big advantage of the log is, that all variables like %Show_mkiso% are resolved.

Peter :cheers:

#13 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

And given that it is now working, probably a limitation in the LBA (as suggested above) for it to use in accessing the information. M$ probably figured that it wouldn't need to worry about the address being >4GB (32 bits?)

But glad you finally understood that if you can make the ISO have all the files that are needed be inside the addressable range that it will work OK for you...

My "solution" in the past has just been to carry a few CD's with me, since not all the machines I work on from time to time even have DVD :wheelchair:

Scott

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

Yes Sir:) but before i can do this, i must first know, wich of all the content from the script, are the mkisofs commandlines.
as one who has no experiences and short bevor even didn t know what mkisofs is at all, so this is not such easy for me, like it will maybe sounds. i bet this are the commandlines, but i am not sure. but look yourself:

Yep :), but the idea is that you quickly become expert yourself ;).

You take this:

------------------

ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,#$q%Tools%\mkisofs.exe#$q,"-iso-level 4#$s-force-uppercase -volid #$q%Volume_Name%#$q -b #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 -hide boot.catalog#$s-duplicates-once -o #$q%ISOfileVar%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q"

[CompatibleCD]
If,Not,%BootSector%,Equal,"IsoLinux",ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,#$q%Tools%\mkisofs.exe#$q,"-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid #$q%Volume_Name%#$q -A #$qGRLDR/MKISOFS#$q -sysid #$qWin32#$q -b #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o #$q%ISOfileVar%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q"
Else,ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,#$q%Tools%\mkisofs.exe#$q,"-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid #$q%Volume_Name%#$q -A #$qGRLDR/MKISOFS#$q -sysid #$qWin32#$q -b #$q%BootSect%#$q -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -c isolinux/boot.cat -boot-info-table -duplicates-once -o #$q%ISOfileVar%#$q #$q%targetdir%#$q"
----------------------------

You replace the stoopid "#$q" with a double quote, the stoopid" #$s" with a space and you have a readable set of .script command lines:

ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,"%Tools%\mkisofs.exe","-iso-level 4 -force-uppercase -volid "%Volume_Name%" -b "%BootSect%" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "%ISOfileVar%" "%targetdir%""

[CompatibleCD]
If,Not,%BootSector%,Equal,"IsoLinux",ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,"%Tools%\mkisofs.exe","-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid "%Volume_Name%" -A "GRLDR/MKISOFS" -sysid "Win32" -b "%BootSect%" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "%ISOfileVar%" "%targetdir%""
Else,ShellExecute,%Show_mkiso%,"%Tools%\mkisofs.exe","-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid "%Volume_Name%" -A "GRLDR/MKISOFS" -sysid "Win32" -b "%BootSect%" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -c isolinux/boot.cat -boot-info-table -duplicates-once -o "%ISOfileVar%" "%targetdir%""

From this you can extract the actual 3 mkisofs command lines:
  • "%Tools%\mkisofs.exe","-iso-level 4 -force-uppercase -volid "%Volume_Name%" -b "%BootSect%" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "%ISOfileVar%" "%targetdir%""
  • "%Tools%\mkisofs.exe","-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid "%Volume_Name%" -A "GRLDR/MKISOFS" -sysid "Win32" -b "%BootSect%" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "%ISOfileVar%" "%targetdir%""
  • "%Tools%\mkisofs.exe","-v -iso-level 4 -l -J -joliet-long -R -volid "%Volume_Name%" -A "GRLDR/MKISOFS" -sysid "Win32" -b "%BootSect%" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -c isolinux/boot.cat -boot-info-table -duplicates-once -o "%ISOfileVar%" "%targetdir%""

It is not that you need to know also the mind-boggingly complex syntax of mkisofs, but should I for - example (not relevant in this specific case) - tell you how you should change the "-R" with a "-r" to have "wider" compatibility form a booted Linux, you would be able to change the .script and do the test....

As well it would be possible (depending on the settings you chose) that one or the other command line has been executed and this may make a difference (it doesn't in this particular case).

As pscEx correctly pointed out, the actual command executed will be recorded in the the log, but you also need to understand where it comes from, should it be needed for tests to change it or should you want to try re-creating a .iso manually.

BTW, and just for the record, the best way to check HOW exactly mkisofs was run is to check the actual .iso, mkisofs records this info in the actual file, see the already linked to thread:
http://reboot.pro/12406/

As always, it's just a matter of choosing the Blue or the Red Pill..... :whistling:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redpill

Wonko

#15 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

it seems to work

Thanks to jaclaz for clarifing.
Yes, if i suggest /zImg/ then /zImg/ is assumed to be used.

This includes all big files:
/Boot/IMG/MiniToolPartitionWizardHomeEdition7.1.iso

It's sufficient so sort all textmode PE boot files below first 4 gb.

but later on i will expand my project to double layer dvd`s.

Be careful: there is no operating system error correction at boot.
Old used DVD drives dosn't read double layer dvd's reliable in my experience.
I prefer CD-RW at old drives.

The easiest way is to look into the log.htm.

Where to find a log.htm? There are log_%date%_%time%html at Win7PE.

The executed line is NOT greyed as 'skipped', and the big advantage of the log is, that all variables like %Show_mkiso% are resolved.

Any special configuration to set? I get non resolved variables.

And given that it is now working, probably a limitation in the LBA (as suggested above) for it to use in accessing the information. M$ probably figured that it wouldn't need to worry about the address being >4GB (32 bits?)

Setupldr.bin is limited to first 4GB too. Seems so far: haven't changed in bootmgr.

But glad you finally understood that if you can make the ISO have all the files that are needed be inside the addressable range that it will work OK for you...

It's more a crude work around.

aec described a PE sort solution in 2004 http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=6869
The sort approach is integrated in UBCD4Win.
Sort approach seems to be forgotten in the past.

My "solution" in the past has just been to carry a few CD's with me, since not all the machines I work on from time to time even have DVD :wheelchair:

And a boot floppy, because BIOS dosn't boot from a CD drive.

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Where to find a log.htm? There are log_%date%_%time%html at Win7PE.
Any special configuration to set? I get non resolved variables.

WinBuilder creates the standard log.html (Sorry about the missing 'l' in my post).
Every other logs which may fill the hdd with unnecessary garbage (when the user does not delete them sometimes), are built by the individual projects when using the "log timestamp" option.
Maybe there are some volunteers to scan all forum's posts and add this information to all places where only "log.htm[l]" is mentioned. :crazy:

Maybe the unresolved variables are the real reason for the issue reported here.
In a ShellExecute[Ex] log line there should only be the unresolved variable %BaseDir% which is explained in the beginning of log[_bla_bla].html.
@cdob: Please list the unresolved variables here which you found in your test.

Peter

#17 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

WinBuilder creates the standard log.html

There dosn't exist a log.* file after full run. Win7PE_SE seems to rename the file.

In a ShellExecute[Ex] log line there should only be the unresolved variable %BaseDir% which is explained in the beginning of log[_bla_bla].html.

Yes, that's it. %BaseDir% is not resolved, but all other variables. Thanks for clarifing.

In addition I wonder: which current working directory sets ShellExecute[Ex].
Does it change to %BaseDir% first and call application next?
Does it use system default (e.g %Systemroot%system32)?

And another: can ShellExecute[Ex] grab a console output, a error output and read a ErrorLevel?
A batch example to clarify the question
path C:Win7PE_SE_SmallProjectsToolsWin7PE_SE;%path%

mkisofs.exe -v -iso-level 4 -D -r -joliet-long -volid "Win7PE" -sysid "Win32" -b "isolinux/isolinux.bin" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "C:Win7PE_SE_SmallISOWin7PE_x86.ISO" -A "Syslinux/MKISOFS" -boot-info-table -o "C:Win7PE_SE_SmallISOWin7PE_x86.ISO" "C:Win7PE_SE_SmallTargetWin7PE_SE" "C:Win7PE_SE_SmallWorkbenchCommonRootCD" 2>&1|mtee.exe /+ "C:Win7PE_SE_SmallTempWin7PE_SEmkISOlog.txt"

if ErrorLevel 1 echo Error %ErrorLevel% > "C:Win7PE_SE_SmallTempWin7PE_SEmkISOerr.txt"
Idea: incldue the mkisofs output to the log.html, if a ErrorLevel greater equal 1 occurs.

#18 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

And a boot floppy, because BIOS dosn't boot from a CD drive.

really, are there such old computers wich can t even boot from cd/dvd-rom? sounds its getting time to make some tests in the field with my project to optimize it:)
-----
verified, the z-folder-method seems to work.
atm i am at a size of 4.5gb and everything works fine.
this scripting/syntax stuff is strong tabaco for me:) bevor i understund that, i must read the basics.
thx Wonko, its respectably that you want that i become an expert, but i am already glad, if i can work on my project:)
its a hobby project. i try to make an all in one solution live-system for the most needs and cases.
i am very pleased with the result i have now and learned much about winbuilder and that stuff.
normaly my main workingfield are htpc`s:)

i hope the z-folder method will keep working if i extend the size of the project. lets see.

Thank you very much guys for your help.
i am impresed from all the knowelgde and competence here!

as soon as i run in the next trouble, you will hear anything from me. maybe earlier:)

Greetings
livedude

Edited by livedude, 10 April 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#19 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

In addition I wonder: which current working directory sets ShellExecute[Ex].
Does it change to %BaseDir% first and call application next?
Does it use system default (e.g %Systemroot%system32)?

And another: can ShellExecute[Ex] grab a console output, a error output and read a ErrorLevel?

WinBuilder does not set the working directory when it starts the child process.
So the child will run in WinBuilder's working directory. That is %BaseDir%

Sorry, any consol output cannot be grabbed.
When a script wants to check an output, it has to redirect to a file and check the file.

ShellExecute causes the variable %ExitCode% to be filled with the exit code of the child process. This variable remains until a next ShellExecute.

As ShellExexuteEx does not wait for the process, here the value of %ExitCode% is not set.

Peter

#20 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

When a script wants to check an output, it has to redirect to a file and check the file.

Why then not redirecting the output of mkisofs to a file, say mkisofs.log (or directly to the main log)? :unsure:

Wonko

#21 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Why then not redirecting the output of mkisofs to a file, say mkisofs.log (or directly to the main log)? :unsure:

Sure, especially in the case of mkisofs the "-log-file" option can be set in the script.
But that's a question for the project bakers.

Peter :cheers:

#22 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Back 2 Action:

like i said, my main area are normaly htpc`s. on this i am relativ advanced. ask me something about needed hardware, hw-video-aceleration-codecs. working remotes, recomendt media-center-software and stuff and i am sure, that in the most cases, i can help;)
but this is not the point here.
here, i am a complete rookie, with not much experience. but i think this is normal. no one, knows everything:)

back to winbuilder:
after this critical winload.exe>4gb-problem seems to be solved, i can go on with optimizing my project.
atm., i am hanging on this problem:
---------------------
found no understundable way with clear instructions to do this (for an untouched win7.iso) atm;(

found no understundable way with clear instructions to do this (for an untouched winxp.iso) atm;(

-----------------
it would be nice, to implement that in my project. the win-xp installation over ramdisk, i see only a crude workaround becouse it needs to much ram.
i only used this, becouse i don t found an understundable way, how to implement a native xp installation with an untouched iso without ram-disk.
then it would also be nice, to have the posibility for an win7-installation implementet in my project.
of course also with an untouched win7.iso.
this are the two things i am working now.
if this should be not possible, i can life with it, but i think, it is.
if anyone can give me a helping hand with clear instructions to do this, would be nice.
if not, becouse its to much work or something, then its also ok for me.
but if i not ask at all, no one can help, therefore i am asking:)

best regard
livedude

Edited by livedude, 11 April 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#23 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

---------------------

Look into this tutorial, works for me:
http://www.rmprepusb...ials/firawiniso
I wrote a module for my win7pe_se project that adds the necessary files and menu.lst entries to my project

perhaps this could help
http://www.rmprepusb...to-internal-hdd

#24 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thank you patch,

but this is to unclear to use it for my project.
i have already earlier found this instructions, but i don t know how i can use them for my project.
you know, its no usb-stick. its all starting from a compilation on dvd...
you see my menu example how everything is working in my project and how i start iso.
for this case, i need the right commands and syntax to implement this to my project.

i followed the tutorial from the first link:
i downloaded the Tut43 file and and i extractet it to WINFira.
in the WINFira iso folder i copied my win7.iso.
i used the example menue, copied the WINFira folder to my project (target-dir/mainpath) and build the dvd.iso.
if i now try to start this sample menu entry for win7, i get this error message:
"if=()firadisk.au -bla, bla, bla
not found"
sure the paths are not fit or something like this.
but without clear instrcution oriented to my project, i can t change it.
i said how my project is build. you know the target path, you have examples how i start isos and stuff.
so all needed information to give me the correct syntax should be there.
i don t know what i can do more.
thx for help, but without clear instrcutions, i don t think that i can reach this goal.

best regards
livedude

p.s: you can write me also of course a pm on german (that would be at least easier for me to understund), with the correct syntax orientet to my project.
only a sugestion, no must, no nothing:)

Edited by livedude, 11 April 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#25 livedude

livedude

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

addition:

normaly its no problem for me to change such path that they work on my project.
but this example, i don t understund:
----------------

title 1 INSTALL Windows 7 32-bitnThis will install any edition of Windows 32-bit to your hard disk
debug off
set MYISO=win7.iso
dd if=()/firadisk/au.xml of=()/AutoUnattend.xml
map --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)
map /ISO/%MYISO% (0xff)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]nStartOptions=cdrom,vmem=find:/ISO/%MYISO%;n0
chainloader (0xff)/BOOTMGR || chainloader (0xff)
---------------------
this begins already with the one of the first lines:
set MYISO=win7.iso /uhm nice. myiso. yes this explains all. do they mean maybe: set MYISO=/WINFira/Iso/win7.iso (wich is the path to the untouched win7.iso on my project)?
i absoultly don t know what they want from me and how i can change the path that its fit to my project.
no way, without clear instrcutions to do it.
i have also some experiences and can say that paramters like "map (hd0) (hd1)map (hd1) (hd0)", never ever worked on my project.
if i tried to start iso`s with that. i allways get an error message if i use this paramters in vm.
i think, without changeing this, that it fits to my project, correct syntac and stuff, its not possible for me, to implement that.

best regards
livedude

Edited by livedude, 11 April 2012 - 02:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users