maintenance

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

This weekend we will be proceeding with a full re-install of the server.

We will be switching to Debian as Operative System instead of the current Ubuntu and we will be introducing cPanel support.

The biggest advantage of adding cPanel is the direct integration with IP.Board forum software. It allows members to own subdomains and we can track the monthly bandwidth.

Some of the subdomains provided for hsoting are using a lot of bandwidth and we currently had no automatic way to handle this situation.

With cpanel we will be able to remove accounts that are hogging the server resources and provide a much faster service.

We are switching to debian because Ubuntu is not going on a good road. The latest upgrade brought the server to crash on something that should be routine. We are moving to debian, much more conservative and reliable for server operations.

We will be proceeding with the transfer on Friday 17:00 GMT.

The server will not be immediately off line, however we start the maintenance operations at that time.

The forum will be left on read-mode so that members can still read topics without making posts since we will be doing a full backup and posts made after the backup would be lost.

I estimate that our works should last until Saturday afternoon.

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

First step completed, we are running from a backup server to prevent being off line for too long.

Once the maintenance work on the new server is completed, we will be running again in full speed.

:cheers:
  • Holger likes this

#3 rawr

rawr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

First step completed, we are running from a backup server to prevent being off line for too long.

Once the maintenance work on the new server is completed, we will be running again in full speed.

i guess this is why
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm is returning 404 Not Found ?

#4 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Yes, only the forum at reboot.pro and tech.reboot.pro are running on the backup server today.

Within some hours the subdomains should hopefully become available again.

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Ok, try the link now.

Subdomains were added back. Now we are working to give back FTP access to subdomains owners.
  • pscEx likes this

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Ok, try the link now.

Subdomains were added back. Now we are working to give back FTP access to subdomains owners.

I already missed that! LiveXP 2012 is stored on my server rather than on the reboot server!

Peter

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

I'm seeing a lot of messages being posted even when the forum is marked as offline on the title of the browser.

Please refrain from posting today. I will need to remove permissions for some groups to see and post messages even when it says offline.

Some posts might get lost during the transition. Thanks.

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Aside from wimb posting a new version of hos Win8 vhd tool, it's all just fluff, that can be discarded without problem.

So i don't think, you need to change any permissions.

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Sure, I just wanted to warn members that when "(offline)" is written on the title of the window then it means that we doing experiments and the post might end up lost.

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

I surely hope, that that was clear to everyone, once you announced that during maintainance the board will only run off a backup server.

#11 Bazzz420

Bazzz420
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

hello,whenever i'm trying winbuilder downloads it says "None of the selected servers could be accessed! Perhaps you need to define proxy address"
is it for the server maintenance??

please help me as i'm new in here

#12 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:41 AM

Yep, some subdomains where winbuilder projects can be found are not online right now.

They will be made available as soon as possible. Just follow this topic for updates.

----

Last night we shifted the reboot.pro forum to the new server. We have most of the functionality working as intended on the forum.

Now we are moving to work on the sub domains and accounts.

#13 2aCD

2aCD

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 345 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

I would like to express here once a thanks for their hard work over the weekend.
Although some functions are only slowly back up and running, many users does not have noticed that are moving the server .

Good job guys. :thumbup:

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

At first sight the board is seemingly working allright :thumbsup:
I have found an issue, though:
http://reboot.pro/forum/131/

Quick Stats of 'Hardware'ForumTotal Topics: 1
Total Posts: No post was created yet
Views:
Top Author:Holmes.Sherlock ( 1 topics: 100% )
Top Poster: No post was created yet
Topics
Newest Topic:How to redirect audio to PC spea...
Most Replied Topic:How to redirect audio to PC speake...
Most Viewed Topic:How to redirect audio to PC speake...
Polls & Votes:No poll was created yet
Last Post:1 day 6 hours 27 minutes

http://reboot.pro/16661/

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10360] You cannot view this topic because it is not your topic and the administrator has specified that you can only view your own topics in this forum.

Wonko

#15 florin91

florin91

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 197 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

Moving is in progress!

Ugly theme! :)

#16 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hello,

Most of the server transfer was completed. Still some points that need to be handled, for the most part we are running as intended.

An interesting feature is that we now get more visibility of the daily attacks to FTP/SSH accounts and the server is now capable of resisting well to these attacks.

Most of the subdomains are already available as before, we do need to manually create new accounts for all members.

Now we have a new feature available, members can acquire their own subdomains and hosting at our community directly from the forum. Just visit the store and follow up the form: http://reboot.pro/st...-basic-hosting/

This feature is still experimental, in the future I can add more features such as SSH, MySQL and higher bandwidth limits. The good thing is that certain member groups such as developers can manage the hosting on their own.

#17 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

At first sight the board is seemingly working allright :thumbsup:
I have found an issue, though:

It's because I created the only topic in the "Hardware" subforum during the server upgrade which has lost for good.

However, it is evident that IPB stores precalculated values of statistics rather than generating them dynamically where the operation of storing posts/threads & saving stats are non-atomic. :dubbio"

#18 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

An interesting feature is that we now get more visibility of the daily attacks to FTP/SSH accounts and the server is now capable of resisting well to these attacks.

How is that possible?

Now we have a new feature available, members can acquire their own subdomains and hosting at our community directly from the forum. Just visit the store and follow up the form: http://reboot.pro/st...-basic-hosting/

Is it possible for the direct integration of cPanel with IPB?

#19 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

How is that possible?

- Login attempts get logged and IP addresses are automatically added to a black list. Even with a successful login, if the IP is not recognized from previous logins then a set of questions is asked before granting access
- Each login takes a considerable amount of time to be accepted or denied (slow down the brute force process)
- Accounts that are inactive for some time get automatically expired (users need to request a new password to access)
- Bandwidth now has limits for subdomains, if someone is using a considerable amount of resources then it gets limited (we can raise/lower restrictions where needed)
- Users can change password by themselves on FTP/SSH accounts
- Activity from inside and outside in regards to our server is logged, if a user misbehaves, gets suspended.

Is it possible for the direct integration of cPanel with IPB?

It is already available. After registering a subdomain, members need to visit their Client area on this link: http://reboot.pro/in...ction=purchases

This way hosting gets automated. Our community now provides a free self-service hosting service.

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

The URL http://reboot.pro brings a "Powered By" page

Peter

#21 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1444 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Currently it's allowing one member to register more than one sub-domain which shouldn't be the case, I believe.

#22 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Advanced members (developers, tutorials writers, etc) are considered as responsible enough to use this resource wisely. Therefore anyone in the upper groups can register as many sub-domains as they consider necessary.

From the admin side we are capable of monitoring the creation of new subdomains. For users of Winbuilder.net and boot-land.net subdomains I am capable of creating links to these domains from a reboot.pro subdomain (already done this for Holger).

In the meanwhile I have added mySQL support to the basic hosting account and provided a software installer called "Installatron". This allows installing nice PHP software packages such as Wordpress, myBB and others with just a few clicks (no need to upload files or configure mysql databases): http://installatron.com/apps

You can access this service using https://reboot.pro:2083 and the account details provided at http://reboot.pro/in...ction=purchases

Then, look for "Installatron" at the "Software/services" tab and install the software you wish:

Here are some examples that I tried out:
Wordpress: http://test.reboot.pro/?p=1
MyBB: http://test.reboot.pro/forum/

You are welcome to play around with the new subdomain service, just keep in mind that this is still experimental and subject to changes. If your subdomain gets deleted then please try again within some days when things get into a more stable state.

Thanks.

#23 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

Most of the subdomains are already available as before, we do need to manually create new accounts for all members.

Does that mean, i have to reapply for Login Data for my subdomain?

#24 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yes, create a new subdomain under reboot.pro and then I will link your other subdomains to there.

I will write a tutorial where all the options and procedures will be detailed.

There are two options:
1. Create a symbolic link. All changes in your reboot subdomain are reflected in the winbuilder/bootland domain
2. Create a folder inside your FTP account from where the winbuilder/bootland domain is read.

These are manual procedures, I will gladly apply them for any developer who wishes to use these domains. Let's talk by personal message to solve your subdomain access, please register first a subdomain on our new service.

#25 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

These options are not equivalent to what you link.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users