52 replies to this topic

#51 sales

sales
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:48 AM

Thanks to far.in.out for the instructions and to Wonko for the link.  :thumbup:  It works for Windows 10 x64.

It may have been documented somewhere, but how do I write data/changes back to the vhd upon shutdown/reboot?   :confused1: 

#52 yayalrabiahaliay

yayalrabiahaliay
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 2 weeks ago

Hello,

I've followed the tutorial for using winram but i'v been blocked before ending of whole step.

First, when i must install grub4dos the doc tell me that bootmgr file is  C:\ folder but this file (bootmgr) and all these associate files and folder are in hidden part named reserved partition. So i Can't run the .cmd file because that show me an error "files unfinded".

Secondely, i have trying to install windows 7 from dvd into vhd file on my usb key, but here again that dont work. I have well the terminal with the instruction (name of vhd file, its size, etc...) and at the moment of ending the process no file has been created...

What going wrong with my computer ? i have forgotten somethink stupid step ?

ps: (sorry for my english because im french)

Thanks and good evening.

#53 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted A week ago

Hello,

I've followed the tutorial for using winram but i'v been blocked before ending of whole step.

First, when i must install grub4dos the doc tell me that bootmgr file is  C:\ folder but this file (bootmgr) and all these associate files and folder are in hidden part named reserved partition. So i Can't run the .cmd file because that show me an error "files unfinded".

Secondely, i have trying to install windows 7 from dvd into vhd file on my usb key, but here again that dont work. I have well the terminal with the instruction (name of vhd file, its size, etc...) and at the moment of ending the process no file has been created...

What going wrong with my computer ? i have forgotten somethink stupid step ?

ps: (sorry for my english because im french)

Thanks and good evening.

Are you following the video or the written tutorial? (or both?)

http://reboot.pro/fi...ile/182-winram/

There are besides the index 6 files 01 to 06, which one contains the step you are having issues with?

And/or which exact time in the video is the step you are having issues with?

I guess the issue is with 02.htm, where it says:

Installing from Windows 7 (and other NT 6.x versions of Windows)

Copy grldr.mbr, grldr and menu.lst to the root of the partition where bootmgr is.

Method 1.
Open the Install_Grldr.cmd file from the Grub4Dos folder for editing.

The issue here is a "common" one.

A number of Windows 7+ systems are installed (instead of "normally" with a single volume that is BOTH "boot" and "system") in to two volumes (that MS calls the wrong way around) and the first one (that is the "boot" volume, i.e. what MS stupidly calls "system") is later "hidden" and not assigned a drive letter.

If this is your case, you need to (temporarily) assign a drive letter to it and thus mount it.

You can use either Disk Manager (easier) or Diskpoart (command line, a tad bit more difficult/complex), see:

https://4sysops.com/...rved-partition/

:duff:

Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ramdisk, grub4dos, firadisk, windows 7, vhd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users