Photo
- - - - -

German forum at reboot.pro

proposal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

Poll: German forum at reboot.pro (7 member(s) have cast votes)

Deutsche forum?

1. Yes (2 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. No (5 votes [71.43%])

Percentage of vote: 71.43%

Vote

#1 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hello,

I propose the availability of a German language reboot.pro forum and would like to your hear your opinion about this matter.

In principle it would follow a similar design to what you already see on the English reboot and become available at a URL such as http://reboot.pro/de (I'm open to URL suggestions)

The goal is to help members that are not able of writing in English. I chose German since it is the second largest language group after English on our community and if this effort succeeds then we might be able to apply onto different languages as well.

I am also open to suggestions of merge with existent forum sites in a similar way as our cooperation with TLF at http://tech.reboot.pro

Let me know what you think.
:cheers:

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

Actually - and just for the record - there are very few German people who does not speak/read/write - if not a very good English - a good enough one.
On the other hand AFAIK a comparatively little percentage of non-Germans, non-Austrian or non-Swiss members can speak German.

The risks - IMHO - of making a "different language" Forum are two:
  • all the good German (but English speaking members) "abandon" the "main English" forum (thus subtracting valuable resources to it)
  • the knowledge - already fragmented enough - is further split

And the inconvenience is that either some valuable content will be lost or things will be posted twice, and when an update comes out, it would require double work or inevitably topics will "lose sync".

Of course my belief that *any* German born in the last - say - 50 years can speak/read/write a decent enough English should be confirmed (or busted :ph34r:) by our German members. :)

And we still have the:
http://reboot.pro/forum/39/
http://reboot.pro/forum/40/

What we would need (again as I see it) is some better form of communication with our friends from China and Russia....

Wonko

:

#3 edborg

edborg

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 387 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

I agree that creating a new language forum (any language) would subtract valuable resources from this one and make it difficult to keep things together.
By the way, don't we already have language subforums in several languages, including my own? :dubbio:
How and how much are they used? :huh:

edborg :)
  • pscEx likes this

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I fully agree to Edborg's opinion (Wonko told something similar or identical, but with much more words and less "readable and understandable").

I'm regularly / sporadically reading some German forums with theme 'WinBuilder'. And here the enthusiasm (and the frequency of visitors) is decreasing from day to day.

Let's remain in the English (I also have some difficulties with my English knowledge, or better: Some people have some difficulties with my should-be-english posts).

For those members who cannot explain their intention, or cannot understand English explanations, reboot's German subforum is IMHO fully sufficient.

Crazy idea: What abut linking reboot.pro.de to the German subforum?

Peter

#5 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Have to (unfortunately) curb Wonkos good opinion about germans, but there are still enough of us left, who couldn't communicate in english, if their life depended on it. ;)

But the question is, why would those chose to come to reboot.pro.de? All our projects are still in english.
No, i think, they will rather go to one of the german boards, which went to the trouble of translating whole projects into german, including attachements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users