Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 139 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Hello,

i am using
VMware® Player, 3.1.4 build-385536, in a Hostsystem: Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit 6.1.7601, Service Pack 1

I have to make a small and easy tutorial for helping other people to search and restore various Data's from a HD to a USB-Disc with Win7PE_SE.

My Problem: VMware player dont shows me the lokal HD.

The same problem in my virtual-box in aktualy version.

You know a solution for this problem?

OR do you have a script for the software "Cam-Studio" or similar disposal in your script-archive?

:google_lt: results dont help me.

:cheers:

#2 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

My Problem: VMware player dont shows me the lokal HD.

The same problem in my virtual-box in aktualy version.

Depends on what you mean by local HDD. If its the internal and virtual HDD of the guest (vmdk), then missing disk drivers in your WinPE. If you mean the hosts local HDD, then you're just facing expected behaviour.

#3 linuxbaby

linuxbaby

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 139 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hello and thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, i mean the hosts local HDD.

But i dont understand this:

then you're just facing expected behaviour

#4 joakim

joakim

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 912 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

If you want the hosts local HDD to be visible to the guest, you will need to connect your physical disk as a new disk in the vm configuration. If target physical disk is your systemdrive, then forget about it. If it's another drive, it may work, but beware it is an advanced feature with some risks. Regarding VMware there was a bug with physical disks and nt6.x for a long time. If this bug is fixed in the latest version (4.x), is unknown to me. The physical disk feature was always ok with nt5.x.
So, if you want to create a video showing how to do this from WinPE, you should just boot your WinPE iso in a VM with an OS installed on the ineternal virtual disk. That's much safer than connecting a physical disk, for an otherwise easy task.

#5 linuxbaby

linuxbaby

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 139 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

So, if you want to create a video showing how to do this from WinPE, you should just boot your WinPE iso in a VM with an OS installed on the ineternal virtual disk. That's much safer than connecting a physical disk, for an otherwise easy task.

Hello

So I will try that.

Thank you for the quick and helpful response.

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users