grub4dos multiboot multipass usb boot iso

• Please log in to reply
1325 replies to this topic

#1276 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:30 PM

P.S. The Sample_MyCSM.cfg in MPI 0.087 has these lines:

# If you using this file as MyCSM.cfg in the CUSTOM folder, use set HEADING=   so that MakePartImage will set the heading to the payload name for you
set HEADING=
#set HEADING=THIS HEADING MUST BLANK IF USED AS A CUSTOM TEMPLATE! [UUID=%UUID%]

The Sample_MyCSM_TextMode.cfg file in 0.087 has these lines

#leave set to PAYLOAD so that you can use this file in the CUSTOM folder of the MPT Tool Pack
set HEADING=%PAYLOAD%

Both examples are correct - i.e.  HEADING should be blank for first one and %PAYLOAD% for the text mode one.

P.S. You cannot use RGB colours in a text mode 16-colour menu you must use the strange  ABCD colour notation of grub4dos or two hex characters instead of 6 hex characters e.g. use 0x7F! See \_ISO\Sample_MyE2B.cfg file for details.

Edited by steve6375, 05 December 2018 - 11:09 AM.

#1277 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:44 PM

Sorry, actually two lines should be 

if exist /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_%LANG%.lst if exist /e2b/message configfile /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_%LANG%.lst
if exist /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_ENG.lst if exist /e2b/message configfile /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_ENG.lst

#1278 n1v3k

n1v3k

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Computers, music, programming (newbie), gaming, hardware, ghetto mods
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:50 PM

Sorry, actually two lines should be 

if exist /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_%LANG%.lst if exist /e2b/message configfile /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_%LANG%.lst
if exist /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_ENG.lst if exist /e2b/message configfile /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_ENG.lst

This fixed it up! Thank you Steve, now I should edit each menu.lst of my payloads and the menu.lst from the MPI folder. luckily they are not many payloads, cheers.

Edited by n1v3k, 05 December 2018 - 05:59 PM.

#1279 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

You will find it easier to just delete /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_ENG.lst from your existing .imgPTN files rather than edit each menu.

MPI v0.088 is now available - http://rmprepusb.blo...-available.html

#1280 n1v3k

n1v3k

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Computers, music, programming (newbie), gaming, hardware, ghetto mods
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:30 PM

You will find it easier to just delete /e2b/LANG/GFX_menu_ENG.lst from your existing .imgPTN files rather than edit each menu.

MPI v0.088 is now available - http://rmprepusb.blo...-available.html

All right, if I delete that file and then I change to a MyCSM.cfg GFX based, what would happen? Im downloading the new MPI. Thank you.

#1281 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:32 PM

I assume you are not going to be using a GFX  message menu because they don't work in text mode and I thought you wanted a text mode menu?

#1282 n1v3k

n1v3k

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

I assume you are not going to be using a GFX  message menu because they don't work in text mode and I thought you wanted a text mode menu?

You assumed right, just wanted to know if in the future i change to GFX then I will know how to revert the changes, I use textmode cuz loads faster than GFX.

#1283 БлагоЯр

БлагоЯр
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:34 PM

Do you get same result if you boot from the .imgPTN file (and NOT via E2B menu) - i.e. switch to .imgPTN, boot to USB drive.

Are you using correct version of grub4d

The code above is the one that I edited in Editor (that is, the one that is in the "MPI Tool Pack Plus CloverLite \ CUSTOM \ MyCSM.cfg" folder). As I understand it, the Editor also corrupted the code of the file, because it does not quite support the file from the "MPI Tool Pack".
In the main menu, I am fine.

#1284 n1v3k

n1v3k

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:11 AM

Version 088 of the MPI Tool Pack fixed the heading error in the "Sample_MyCSM_TextMode.cfg" but one thing I notice and for previous versions is that I cant get to work the shortcuts at the bottom, like Run 1st HDD, Poweroff, etc.

#1285 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:47 AM

Works for me. v0.088.

or do you mean the hotkeys don't work?

Attached Thumbnails

• csmtext.JPG

#1286 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2018 - 10:36 AM

try v0.089 - should be fixed

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...0RnHDIy0aeVvcRO

#1287 BenKell

BenKell
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:56 PM

Hey Guys - 

I've used (and thoroughly enjoyed) Easy2Boot for a couple of years now.  Thanks to the devs & community for their continued development!  This Christmas, I got a new 256gb SanDisk Extreme Pro which I asked for specifically for Easy2Boot (whoohoo) which I've since been customizing.  Today I ran into an issue today that I need advice on, please.  Below are the questions followed by an explanation...

Questions

1. How (if possible) can I boot to my USB drive which works on Legacy on a UEFI-enabled & secure boot enabled laptop (Dell Inspiron 5570) without potentially endangering its currently installed OS?  I found a BIOS option to allow "Legacy Option ROMs" but when trying to enable it get a message that it cannot be enabled since both Secure Boot & PTT are enabled :(  I've read the options for UEFI on the website and my drive does have 2 partitions which were auto created - a main one and a 2nd 11.5kb one named "PTN2" 
  2. I currently have .ISOs on my E2B drive yet read that they should be converted to .imgptn for UEFI booting.  Assuming I can find a way to boot to it, does that mean I'll have to convert those ISOs for them to be able to successfully boot on that PC?  If so, would they still work the same with Legacy booting?  
  3. I have a couple of ISOs that use MNU files such as a Linux Mint one with persistence.  I configured it using the instructions within the sample MNU file yet it references an .ISO.  WOuld persistence will work with a .imgPTN and if so is it just as easy as after converting the ISO replacing .iso with .imgptn in the MNU?

Despite using the latest generation of Windows on all my Windows systems, I still don't use UEFI I guess because I'm old school.  Instead of testing my latest E2B customizations in a VM this morning, I decided to use my work laptop (Dell Inspiron 5570) instead which should be faster than the VM; yet came pre-imaged with UEFI enabled.

With the drive inserted, I boot to the F12 Boot Selection menu and see only "Windows Boot Manager" which obviously boots into Windows.  I went into the BIOS and saw that UEFI was obviously selected and that Legacy was greyed out.  There was an option to "Add boot option" which I selected where I added the two devices that appeared.  Once saved and restarted to boot menu, I found that one of the new devices booted to a diagnostic & recovery utility and the other seemingly did nothing (perhaps attempted USB & failed) and booted into Windows. 

To note, I have a wide variety of ISOs including one with persistence so if #2 is ISO-specific, I understand and will look up.  Also, my drive is formatted NTFS...

Thanks!!

Edited by BenKell, 18 January 2019 - 06:06 PM.

#1288 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

The latest E2B v1.A8 includes a MemTest86 .imgPTN file which can secure boot to 32-bit and 64-bit UEFI systems as well as Legacy boot. I suggest you read the UEFI pages on the website, view the YouTube videos on the website and play with the MemTest image to see how it works.

http://www.easy2boot...files/e2b-uefi/

#1289 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2629 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

I am trying to use E2B v1.A8 for booting in UEFI mode direct with Grub2 according to the given procedure.

In UEFI Secure mode booting was refused, since the provided bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi files are unsigned.  :ph34r: 

I replaced these files with bootx64.efi and grubx64.efi given in Grub2_EFI from Linux Mint linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso and now I reach the Grub2 menu. :) 

Now the Main and Linux Menu do not give the entries for booting ubuntu.iso and knoppix.iso and linuxmint.iso files

that I added to _ISO\MAINMENU folder of FAT32 PTN2 partition.

Somehow the menu does not work, but if I add my own menuentries for these ISO files located in (hd0,msdos2) to

main.cfg in folder boot\grub of EASYTOBOOOT PARTITION IMAGE Drive, then everything works ok for UEFI Secure boot of these entries.

if [ -e "(hd0,msdos2)/_ISO/MAINMENU/linuxmint.iso" ]; then
menuentry "ISO Linux Mint - linuxmint.iso (hd0,msdos2)" {
  set iso_path=/_ISO/MAINMENU/linuxmint.iso
  loopback loop (hd0,msdos2)$iso_path
  linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/linuxmint.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$iso_path quiet splash --
  initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
fi

if [ -e "(hd0,msdos2)/_ISO/MAINMENU/knoppix.iso" ]; then
menuentry "ISO Knoppix - knoppix.iso (hd0,msdos2)" {
  set iso_path=/_ISO/MAINMENU/knoppix.iso
  linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux bootfrom=/dev/*$iso_path lang=en apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 noswap tz=localtime
  initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
  loopback --delete loop
}
fi

if [ -e "(hd0,msdos2)/_ISO/MAINMENU/ubuntu.iso" ]; then
menuentry "ISO Ubuntu - ubuntu.iso (hd0,msdos2)" {
  set iso_path=/_ISO/MAINMENU/ubuntu.iso
  linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$iso_path quiet splash ---
  initrd (loop)/casper/initrd
}
fi

So there must be some bug in main.cfg or linux_menu.grub2 since the Menu does not give the added ISO files as selectable option.

Can you solve the problem ?

#1290 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Do you mean the ubuntu iso does not appear when you boot in MBR32, MBR64, UEFI32 or UEFI64 or UEFI32Secure or UEFI64Secure?

#1291 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2629 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

Do you mean the ubuntu iso does not appear when you boot in MBR32, MBR64, UEFI32 or UEFI64 or UEFI32Secure or UEFI64Secure?

I reach the Grub2 Menu with UEFI Secure x64 but the ISO files do not appear in Linux Menu

#1292 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

OK - but do they appear in non-secure boot OK and do your menu entries boot OK in Secure boot mode?

#1293 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2629 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

OK - but do they appear in non-secure boot OK and do your menu entries boot OK in Secure boot mode?

I have not tested in non-secure mode and my entries are working OK in UEFI Secure mode when added to your main.cfg as described.

#1294 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

The problem is that the modules (executables) cannot be loaded in secure mode - so insmod does not work.
All the modules must be compiled within the signed .EFI file and the Ubuntu EFI file seems to be missing some modules such as regexp. Use lsmod to see what modules are included.
So my scripts do not work!
The ntfs module is also not loaded so it cannot see my NTFS ptn2 either.

Edited by steve6375, 23 January 2019 - 02:25 PM.

#1295 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2629 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

The problem is that the modules (executables) cannot be loaded in secure mode - so insmod does not work.
All the modules must be compiled within the signed .EFI file and the Ubuntu EFI file seems to be missing some modules such as regexp. Use lsmod to see what modules are included.
So my scripts do not work!
The ntfs module is also not loaded so it cannot see my NTFS ptn2 either.

OK, that means UEFI Secure mode is not supported for now.

But we can of course remove some insmod statements and then it might work in UEFI Secure mode.

My ISO's are located on FAT32 drive and do work OK in UEFI Secure mode when I add my own entries to your main.cfg

So removal of some unneeded insmod statements might work ....

#1296 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

no, you don't understand.

insmod does not work in secure mode at all. So the insmod command just does nothing. So leaving them in does no harm.

The bootx64.efi file (or grub64.efi) must be compiled and signed and must include all the modules inside it that you are going to need.

At the moment it does not have the ntfs module or the regexp module (and probably a few others...).

So there is no way around this AFAICS.

#1297 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2629 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2019 - 02:55 PM

no, you don't understand.

insmod does not work in secure mode at all. So the insmod command just does nothing. So leaving them in does no harm.

The bootx64.efi file (or grub64.efi) must be compiled and signed and must include all the modules inside it that you are going to need.

At the moment it does not have the ntfs module or the regexp module (and probably a few others...).

So there is no way around this AFAICS.

OK now I understand that I don't need to remove insmod statements

But there is a way around as I have proven by adding the menuentries direct to main.cfg which is then working OK for UEFI Secure boot  ;)

#1298 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

Sure, but it is not very user friendly and it will be very version dependent!

I really don't like to use grub2 very much because new linux distros keep changing even the simple things like the name of the vmlinux file or the initrd file and then existing menus no longer work. Not to mention the kernel parameters which change all the time even in minor releases.

So any system based on syslinux or grub2  just means that the developer (or user) will be constantly encountering problems with new distros and constantly trying to fix them!

At least using grub4dos with partnew means it will work on most ISOs without the constant need to update it for every new Linux distro (but it doesn't support UEFI).

Some systems which use grub2 actually call grub4dos (e.g. AIO) to use partnew or dd, but this won't work for UEFI.

Secure Boot adds yet another layer of difficulty.

That's why I prefer to use partition images and a 'generic' method of converting ISOs to a flat-file install. That way secure boot still works.

#1299 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2629 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

OK, but why is at the moment the Linux Menu not working for me.

There should be some simple change in .cfg or .grub2 file possible to make it working ....

#1300 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7034 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

The Main menu is not working either.

Scripting for *.grub2 does not work because there is no regexp module loaded, so the script cannot find any files.

if exist  fred.grub2   will work, but if exist *.grub2 does not work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users