grub4dos multiboot multipass usb boot iso

• Please log in to reply
1268 replies to this topic

#1251 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:09 AM

The latest version of E2B is v1.97. This uses the latest grub4dos 0.4.6a which has improvements for moving the position of the menu help text using setmenu + bugfixes.

You can also draw lines and boxes on the screen and write strings to the menu.

See here for more info.

#1252 varkanoid

varkanoid
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:07 PM

Created my own theme. The IT Crowd screen animates too. Just wish I could use the TV theme music!

2n8sq3o.jpg

• steve6375 likes this

#1253 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:28 PM

Go here and copy the .exe and .16 file to the root of your E2B drive.

Then boot to E2B and run FreeDos floppy image

type

altavozw yesterda.16

(does not work on all systems or VM and must have a PC speaker).

#1254 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14262 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

type

altavozw yesterda.16

Well, that is cheating :w00t:, the music will be played after the system is already booted in FreeDOS.

Maybe the little altavozw program can be translated/modifed/converted in such a way that it can be compiled to be grub4dos native? :unsure:

:duff:

Wonko

#1255 varkanoid

varkanoid
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

type

altavozw yesterda.16

I tried it and nothing happened.

#1256 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2018 - 11:23 AM

I got nothing on my Asus Z87, but it worked on two laptops.

Try http://rmprepusb.blo...s-with-e2b.html

#1257 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

E2B v1.99 uses the latest version of grub4dos 0.4.6a  2018-06-18.

This new version of grub4dos now includes a  beep command which can make noises on the internal PC Speaker so you can play tunes and annoy people! E2B has a variety of grub4dos batch files which can play tunes (either immediately whilst you wait or in the background whilst the menu is showing).

In E2B, see \_ISO\docs\Tunes folder for examples.

I have updated the grub4dos commands primer page here (beep command near end).

P.S. menu.lst config files can also have goto:xxx jumps in them now and there is a new multiple command bracket structure too using braces (see 'Using Braces' on Primer page).

Edited by steve6375, 18 June 2018 - 02:28 PM.

• alacran likes this

#1258 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:07 AM

E2B v1.A0a Beta is now available.

It uses the latest version of grub4dos (2018-06-29) which can now centre all the menu entries which looks pretty cool!

http://rmprepusb.blo...-available.html

http://grub4dos.chen...ries/downloads/

Type help setmenu in the grub4dos console for help.

grub4dos commands

https://www.rmprepus...commands-primer

#1259 n1v3k

n1v3k
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Computers, music, programming (newbie), gaming, hardware, ghetto mods
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:57 PM

Hello there! Excellent work on E2B, been using it for years now, every new version brings something new to play with, lately my e2b its showing the msg ♣ CACHED MENU (FASTLOAD) ♣ it never happened before, I use fastload cuz 70% of PCs at work are HP Compaq dc5100 SFF(PM215AV) and this BIOSes are painfully slow, enabling fastload made it less painful, anyway i have been updating my e2b here and there and now I'm getting that msg, how can I avoid the message? I had read the "speeding-up-e2b" page to no avail, thanks in advance.

nNk23iB.png

#1260 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:08 PM

try putting

set NOFLDMNU=1

in your \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file

It is documented in the Sample_MyE2B.cfg file which is the 'Master' file for all E2B settings...

#1261 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:19 PM

Actually, ignore that! It does not remove that status indicator which is to warn you that you have booted from a cached menu.

The most compatible way to remove it is to make a new Language folder by copying your language folder

e.g. copy \_ISO\e2b\grub\SPANISH folder to \_ISO\e2b\grub\SPAN1

Then edit the STRINGS.txt file to blank the $$STRmFS1 line - then set the language to SPAN1 - but you will still get a blank line in the menu.

Another alternative is to rename the \_ISO\MAINMENU\ZZSubMenuAll.mnu file to something else and remove the lines:

# --- FASTLOAD STATUS INDICATOR

iftitle [if exist STALE && cat --locate=YES ()/FASTLOAD.YES > nul] $$STRmFS1
if not "%GFX%"=="" configfile (md)0xa000+0xA0
root ()

but if you update E2B in the future, you will have to delete the ZZSubMenuAll.mnu file each time.

#1262 n1v3k

n1v3k
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Computers, music, programming (newbie), gaming, hardware, ghetto mods
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:38 PM

try putting

set NOFLDMNU=1

in your \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file

It is documented in the Sample_MyE2B.cfg file which is the 'Master' file for all E2B settings...

I was messing around with that option early today and as you said and didnt work. Your 3rd option worked, commenting those lines did the trick, thank you. I dont mind the ♣ CACHED MENU (FASTLOAD) ♣ line how can we move it to be on the top or bottom? and not be in the middle of the options.

#1263 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:41 PM

It is a fixed position in the .mnu file.

You can rename the .mnu file to $ZZSubMenuAll.mnu and it will appear above your payload files.

Or just move those lines to a different location in the .mnu file

P.S. In the next version, I will add a 

set NOFLDST=1

option to disable that status indicator

You can then make a small .mnu file with just those lines in it - the name will determine where it appears in your menu.

e.g. \_ISO\MAINMENU\$FLDSTATUS.mnu  or  \_ISO\MAINMENU\ZZZZZFLDSTATUS.mnu.

If its at the bottom of the menu, you probably won't see it and will wonder why your new ISO is not listed in the Main menu after you have just added it!

Edited by steve6375, 09 July 2018 - 11:49 PM.

#1264 n1v3k

n1v3k
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:11 AM

So true about not seeing it! The top works just fine... thanks for the replies!

PS. the tune update is just amazing!

#1265 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:16 AM

We must thank yaya the grub4dos developer for the new beep command - he put a lot of work into it to get it to play in the background.

The only issue with it is if you have a large or fast animation on the menu, the tune gets slowed down when both are playing.

#1266 n1v3k

n1v3k
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Venezuela

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:24 AM

Luckily I use GFX=none :P gotta learn more about grub4dos, very intimidating stuff, but cool.

#1267 AnonVendetta

AnonVendetta

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:Self-development, computing

Posted 05 August 2018 - 07:19 AM

@steve6375: Can you remind me of E2B's partitioning requirements? I'm using E2B on a 1TB HDD, which doubles as an iODD, and I would like to create a 2nd partition that is dedicated entirely to game ISOs. I don't feel that my booting ISOs on the E2B/iODD drive require up to a full 1TB, I feel that 100GB or 200GB is more than sufficient. But I know that GRUB4DOS needs a specific partition layout. Thanks!

#1268 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

I have a number of USB HDDs that I have 50 to 100 GB first NTFS partitions on for Easy2Boot, it's ISOs and data I need quick access to. I put the rest of the drive as a second NTFS partition that I hold back up data on.

Other drives I use for my personal data I keep all as one single partition and put a gigantic Veracrypt container on it sized to leave ~100 GB free on the drive.  I have a batch file on the first partition to load the Veracrypt container as a certain drive letter. 

#1269 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6731 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

E2B does not need any specific ptn layout other than  ptn #3 should be empty if you want persistence for linux ISOs and ptn #4 must be empty.

The problem is some BIOSes have specific requirements, e.g.

1. Many Legacy (MBR) BIOSes have a USB 2.0 driver that will not access sectors on a USB drive past 128GiB. Since E2B uses grub4dos which uses the BIOS, this means all payload files for E2B should be before 128Gib on the disk.

If you place ISOs on the disk past 128GiB, then grub4dos will not be able to access them on these systems. E2B will normally warn you if it encounters a 'Bad BIOS' like this.

2. Some BIOSes wont boot as a 'HDD' device if only one Primary partition is present on the USB disk. This means that you need to ensure that your E2B drive has two Primary partitions for best 'bootability' on a wide range of systems - otherwise you just get a 'black screen with flashing cursor' on boot!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users