#1226 Nuvo

Nuvo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

Hi Steve,

I've just recently discovered your e2b tool and used it to boot a Window XP VHD using your 110XPToGo tutorial guide.  

Can you tell me how I can achieve the same result manually using only your RMPrepUSB tool please?  I want to keep the contents of the USB stick to an absolute minimum.

I've been looking through some of the .g4b batch files to try and find a reference to ".VHDBOOT" in the hope that I could figure out how to do this.

I was also wondering if there was a way to view the dynamically created menu entry for this file to see how you do it but the 'e' key is disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer with this.  

#1227 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6598 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi

\_ISO\e2b\grub\QRUN.g4b is the batch file that handles most file extensions including .vhdboot.

To see the menu commands, type  SHIFT+p  and enter the password of 'easy2boot'.

Then type SHIFT+e to edit any menu entry you like.

The .vhdboot code is

:.vhdboot
map --heads=2 --sectors-per-track=18 --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)
map %ISOC% (hd0) > nul || map --mem %ISOC% (hd0)
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=disk,vmem=find:%~pnx1,boot;\n\0
root (hd0,0) || rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr || chainloader /BOOTMGR || chainloader /ntldr || chainloader +1 || chainloader (hd0)+1

It assumes that the bootable VHD has firadisk already included in the XP OS.

%~pnx1 is the path+filename+extension of the ISO file.

#1228 Nuvo

Nuvo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thank you very much for your help with this, it's great to finally be able to boot a FullXP installation from a USB stick.  

I was able to get this working using the above vhdboot code snippet you provided and substituted the %ISOC% parameter with the following :  

()/_iso/Windows/WinXPFull.vhd

I found that the parenthesis aren't required and wondered what is the preferred/correct syntax to use in this instance, i.e., with or without parenthesis?

Best. 

Edited by Nuvo, 09 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#1229 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13649 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

I found that the parenthesis aren't required and wondered what is the preferred/correct syntax to use in this instance, i.e., with or without parenthesis?

Best. 

They are not parenthesis (they are, but they are actually something else), they mean "current root device".

Normally a device is "root" but "root" (relative path base) can be established also elsewhere (i.e. inside a "working directory").

So:

/_iso/Windows/WinXPFull.vhd

means "get the WinXPFull.vhd that  is in the Windows directory that is in the _iso directory inside currently established root directory"

and:

()/_iso/Windows/WinXPFull.vhd

means "get the WinXPFull.vhd that  is in the Windows directory that is in the _iso directory inside the currently established root device"

It doesn't usually make any difference because it is rare that a root directory is established being different from root of the device.

:duff:

Wonko

#1230 Nuvo

Nuvo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Thank you for the comprehensive answer.  I'll remove the reference to the current root device as it isn't necessary. 

#1231 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13649 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Thank you for the comprehensive answer.  I'll remove the reference to the current root device as it isn't necessary. 

Well, the point of the post is that you should NOT remove it, but rather make sure that the () are there, the fact that likely you won' t change "working directory" means that it won't likely make a difference, but it may.

Saving two bytes to make something "wrong" does not justiify it, you should make it "right".

:duff:

Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users