#1226 Nuvo

Nuvo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

Hi Steve,

I've just recently discovered your e2b tool and used it to boot a Window XP VHD using your 110XPToGo tutorial guide.  

Can you tell me how I can achieve the same result manually using only your RMPrepUSB tool please?  I want to keep the contents of the USB stick to an absolute minimum.

I've been looking through some of the .g4b batch files to try and find a reference to ".VHDBOOT" in the hope that I could figure out how to do this.

I was also wondering if there was a way to view the dynamically created menu entry for this file to see how you do it but the 'e' key is disabled.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer with this.  

#1227 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi

\_ISO\e2b\grub\QRUN.g4b is the batch file that handles most file extensions including .vhdboot.

To see the menu commands, type  SHIFT+p  and enter the password of 'easy2boot'.

Then type SHIFT+e to edit any menu entry you like.

The .vhdboot code is

:.vhdboot
map --heads=2 --sectors-per-track=18 --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)
map %ISOC% (hd0) > nul || map --mem %ISOC% (hd0)
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]\nStartOptions=disk,vmem=find:%~pnx1,boot;\n\0
root (hd0,0) || rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr || chainloader /BOOTMGR || chainloader /ntldr || chainloader +1 || chainloader (hd0)+1

It assumes that the bootable VHD has firadisk already included in the XP OS.

%~pnx1 is the path+filename+extension of the ISO file.

#1228 Nuvo

Nuvo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:59 PM

Thank you very much for your help with this, it's great to finally be able to boot a FullXP installation from a USB stick.  

I was able to get this working using the above vhdboot code snippet you provided and substituted the %ISOC% parameter with the following :  

()/_iso/Windows/WinXPFull.vhd

I found that the parenthesis aren't required and wondered what is the preferred/correct syntax to use in this instance, i.e., with or without parenthesis?

Best. 

Edited by Nuvo, 09 July 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#1229 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

I found that the parenthesis aren't required and wondered what is the preferred/correct syntax to use in this instance, i.e., with or without parenthesis?

Best. 

They are not parenthesis (they are, but they are actually something else), they mean "current root device".

Normally a device is "root" but "root" (relative path base) can be established also elsewhere (i.e. inside a "working directory").

So:

/_iso/Windows/WinXPFull.vhd

means "get the WinXPFull.vhd that  is in the Windows directory that is in the _iso directory inside currently established root directory"

and:

()/_iso/Windows/WinXPFull.vhd

means "get the WinXPFull.vhd that  is in the Windows directory that is in the _iso directory inside the currently established root device"

It doesn't usually make any difference because it is rare that a root directory is established being different from root of the device.

:duff:

Wonko

#1230 Nuvo

Nuvo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:18 PM

Thank you for the comprehensive answer.  I'll remove the reference to the current root device as it isn't necessary. 

#1231 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Thank you for the comprehensive answer.  I'll remove the reference to the current root device as it isn't necessary. 

Well, the point of the post is that you should NOT remove it, but rather make sure that the () are there, the fact that likely you won' t change "working directory" means that it won't likely make a difference, but it may.

Saving two bytes to make something "wrong" does not justiify it, you should make it "right".

Wonko

#1232 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

@steve: Is it possible to use E2B to boot an entire disk image (whether it be of an HDD, FDD, etc), not just a VHD? I notice that E2B can boot imgPTN files, but these are only partition images. I ask because I have an Arch ISO that boots if I dd it to a flash drive, but not as an imgPTN. It throws an error about not being able to mount root, and complains about the volume label. Apparently it expects the VL to be the same as the ISO's.

#1233 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

It depends if it is just one partition or many.

If just a single partition, you could make a partition image of it (e.g. using RMPrepUSB - Drive>Fle, P1 for first ptn (assuming the OS is in the first ptn of the USB drive).

Once you have the image, you could create a small .imgPTN file (using an empty folder as the source).

e.g.

Arch.imgPTN (38MB made from empty folder)

Arch               (image of Arch USB ptn)

Then add these to E2B and Switch them in.

Now you will be able to boot to the CSM menu and possibly boot to the 2nd Arch partition (maybe some menu entry will need to be added).

I presume E2B will not directly boot from the ISO? What ISO is it exactly?

#1234 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

The current ISO 'just works'

If you convert the ISO to .imgPTN then UEFI just works, but MBR booting requires an additional menu entry at the end of the \menu.lst

title Arch linux archlinux-2017.10.01-x86_64\n
kernel /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=EASY2BOOT
initrd /arch/boot/intel_ucode.img /arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
boot

#1235 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 560 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:17 AM

@steve6375: Sorry about saying Arch, I actually meant Antergos, which is a distro that adheres to the Arch philosophy, is directly based on it, uses a heavily modded version of their ISOs (albeit with a GUI added and a custom installer), and is 100% cross-compatible with it.

I have an NVIDIA GTX 1080, which the original Antergos ISOs can't boot on. They either hang on a black screen or produce weird colors or freeze after getting to the live environment. I use a modded ISO produced by a member of the Antergos community (admin I think) that has the NVIDIA drivers merged into it and boots fine, but only if dd'ed to a USB FDD with something like Image Writer. On a dd'ed drive I also have to make a copy of vmlinuz.efi, name it to vmlinuz, then place that file in same folder, or else the boot menus complaining about missing vmlinuz. The drive appears to have a small partition that is less than 100MB, but it seems to be only boot files. The ISO is nearly 1.5GB, so the rest of it must be somehow must be embedded into the unallocated space to the right of this partition. Which is why I'm asking about booting from a full drive image that isn't VHD. I was thinking I could image the USB drive and boot the image file with E2B.

If I make a imgPTN with E2B, it boots until complaining about not finding root and a volume label it doesn't agree with. The vmlinuz trick doesn't seem to be required but it might help. My target boot mode is UEFI, I don't plan to test MBR, which is why I haven't tried booting the ISO with E2B.

Can you provide instructions on how to make E2B drives from Linux, as well as how to do the same for create imgPTN and how to defrag an ISO? I'm using Antergos as my only OS, no Windows. I noticed that there is an add-on for E2B that allows using GRUB2 to boot an ISO in UEFI, this may be better suited for using E2B with Linux. As a last resort I could do all E2B stuff in a VM.

Thanks!

Link to ISO I'm using, if you want to test it:

https://sourceforge....64.iso/download

#1236 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Try  this (uses Windows system)...

1. Drag-and-drop volume containing only

\EFI

\loader 

from your dd'd flash drive onto MPI_FAT32 desktop shortcut to make .imgPTN file

name=antergos.imgptn

2. copy antergos.imgPTN to E2B \_ISO\LINUX folder

3. Copy whole ISO to \_ISO\LINUX folder and rename as antergos  (no file extension)

4. Make files contiguous

5. Switch to antergos.imgPTN

6. Add following lines to bottom of \menu.lst file

title antergos\n
parttype (hd0,2) 0x83
root (hd0,2)
kernel /arch/boot/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ANTERGOS-NVIDIA earlymodules=loop modules-load=loop rd.modules-load=loop nouveau.modeset=0 udev.log-priority=crit rd.udev.log-priority=crit quiet splash
initrd /arch/boot/intel_ucode.img /arch/boot/archiso.img
boot

7. Edit \loader\entries\Nvidia-Live-System.conf and change volume label reference, i.e.:

options archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ANTERGOS-NVIDIA

I can get this to MBR boot, but when UEFI booting it does not seem to switch to Desktop (I suspect it is because I don't have Nvidia graphics?).

If I remove the 'nvidia' string in the options list then it boots to Desktop. :-)

To get the MBR boot menu working on an Nvidia system, you may need to add 'nvidia' to the end of the kernel line...

kernel /arch/boot/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ANTERGOS-NVIDIA earlymodules=loop modules-load=loop rd.modules-load=loop nouveau.modeset=0 udev.log-priority=crit rd.udev.log-priority=crit quiet splash nvidia

P.S. I haven't tried installing from this, but the source 'DVD' will be on sdX3 (where sdX is USB drive).

#1237 GTMoraes

GTMoraes
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Brazil

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:19 AM

Hello

For the past two hours, I've been trying to make a flash drive that would help me fixing occasional broken Windows machines, instead of relying on formatting my drive to meet the repair requirements (and copying the contents from that drive to another computer -- often missing them there after I'm done..).

A perfect repair flash drive for me would be:

1 - A bootable default Windows 10 setup, MBR/BIOS and UEFI (This is currently the state of the flash drive)

2 - Hiren's Boot CD (mostly for fixing hard drive controllers and such -- I somewhat frequently have to format the drive to put this on it)

3 - Ubuntu, MBR/BIOS and UEFI (primarily for an updated pocket OS that completely ignores Windows permissions when copying files)

So far, all I managed was to make a drive like this for MBR/BIOS only (however the Windows 10 setup wasn't GUI based, and I wanted the "classic" GUI Windows 10 setup).

I tried the grub2 method, but that didn't work at all. The instructions were pretty confusing (I might be sleepy), and I couldn't figure how to make the .imgPTN to work, or if that would even work on MBR and UEFI at all.

(I am aware that Hiren's won't probably boot in UEFI mode, but 90% of the time I need it, it's on a BIOS machine, so no biggie here)

Could someone lend me a hand on how I should proceed to make this perfect repair drive?

#1238 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

http://www.easy2boot.com/sitemap/

http://www.easy2boot...makepartimage/   (even comes with a video!)

For UEFI booting + MBR-booting you will need to convert the Windows ISO and Ubuntu ISO to a .imgPTN file.

Hirens ISO is MBR-boot only. If you just want to run the mini-XP OS - see http://www.easy2boot...es/hirens-isos/

#1239 БлагоЯр

БлагоЯр
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 2 weeks ago

PTN2 to Windows 10

Why is this partition displayed?
If I remove it, the entire USB flash drive is removed.

PS. In Windows 7, there is no such thing

#1240 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

http://rmprepusb.blo...10-creator.html

#1241 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 2 weeks ago

@Steve

OT (but not much) have you tried other partiton ID's for the small second partition (like 11, 12, 16, 17 or 27)?  :dubbio:

Or any among the 90, 91, 92, 93?

Wonko

#1242 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 2 weeks ago

I can't remember what I tried previously, but most of those + many others too.

Basically, anything except type 0  was recognised as an unformatted volume.

#1243 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13752 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 2 weeks ago

I can't remember what I tried previously, but most of those + many others too.

Basically, anything except type 0  was recognised as an unformatted volume.

Queer, they must have really messed up with the code :frusty:, at least the 1x (and the more recent 27) should have been "respected" as they themselves (actually the previous generation, who were actually programmers) "invented" them.

I have to presume another issue of unawareness about the Chesterton's Fence principle:

https://en.wikipedia...sterton's_fence

Wonko

#1244 varkanoid

varkanoid
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

How do I edit the Menu Help Text that appears at the bottom when you change menu entries ?

In E2B Editor you can only change the colour and not the position etc. Can you make it so its only 2 lines instead of 4 or can you remove it altogether ?

#1245 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Each grub4dos menu entry is determined by a title or iftitle line, the lines of menu help text follow after a \n new line character code, e.g

title Here is the title\nHere is line 1 of help text\nHere is line 2 of help text\nHere is line 3 of help text.

In E2B, the text that follows title\iftitle can come from various sources - it depends on which menu entry you want to change.

• .mnu files contain title\iftitle lines
  • .txt files can be added by the user and define title\iftitle lines
  • in-built menu entries contain language keywords - if you change the language then the menu entry and help text will change. If you want to change these entries, you should create a NEW language folder and edit the STRINGS.txt file - see the instructions on how to make a new 'language'.

#1246 varkanoid

varkanoid
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

Each grub4dos menu entry is determined by a title or iftitle line, the lines of menu help text follow after a \n new line character code, e.g

title Here is the title\nHere is line 1 of help text\nHere is line 2 of help text\nHere is line 3 of help text.

In E2B, the text that follows title\iftitle can come from various sources - it depends on which menu entry you want to change.

• .mnu files contain title\iftitle lines
  • .txt files can be added by the user and define title\iftitle lines
  • in-built menu entries contain language keywords - if you change the language then the menu entry and help text will change. If you want to change these entries, you should create a NEW language folder and edit the STRINGS.txt file - see the instructions on how to make a new 'language'.

I understand this but as you can edit all the other text in the menu eg using E2B Editor I find it strange that you can not alter the position of this text, its display width or line width or simply turn it off. I dont want to edit what it says I want to edit the format, positioning etc.

Edited by varkanoid, A week ago.

#1247 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

The E2B_Editor allows you to change what line the help text starts on.

The width is determined by the width of the menu.

You can disable it by simply setting the line number to a large number (off the screen)

• varkanoid likes this

#1248 varkanoid

varkanoid
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

The E2B_Editor allows you to change what line the help text starts on.

The width is determined by the width of the menu.

You can disable it by simply setting the line number to a large number (off the screen)

Neither of the top two above solve my problem. The width is a bit off because its still going outside the width of the menu. I've turned off pimp my drive which makes it a little bit better but its still going outside the boundaries of my menu. It also doesnt word wrap properly, eg it appears like this

This menu option can be used to set this and that and

also it

can be used to set the other option but not this option and it

can be used to do this.

Perhaps its because I`m using a narrow menu. Anyway your third line above is probably my best bet. Thanks

#1249 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

If you have configured the menu to some special size, then you need to tell me what the settings are!

Perhaps a screenshot of the E2B_Editor settings or attach the MyE2B.cfg file and then I can see what you are seeing!

I think what you mean is that the menu lines are wrapping over onto the next line because you do not have wide enough menus.

What did you expect it to do? Cut the line short and chop off the text?

If you want to have a longer width for the help text, do this:

create a file \_ISO\MAINMENU\$$$$CONFIG\$Setmenu.mnu

Place this line inside the file:

setmenu --help=2=70=27

The first parameter is x, then width of help, then y position

It only works for grub4dos 0.4.6a later versions.

Use help setmenu  in the command prompt to see syntax.

#1250 varkanoid

varkanoid
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

The E2B Editor does not show it and the cfg file does not show it. Its only when you boot to the menu that you can see it. It shows help txt like my quote in #1248. Its worse in Pimp My Drive because some of the helptext is long and full 4 lines.

Its at work I`m not there now but I can try moving it complete off the screen that would be fine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users