grub4dos multiboot multipass usb boot iso

• Please log in to reply
1250 replies to this topic

#1201 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, I see the question is answered on your E2B website. I'll get around to converting the ISO soon. I find that imgPTNs are usually more useful because they can boot in either legacy or UEFI, ISOs appear to work only in legacy mode.

I have another quick question: Is it possible to run E2B from within a NTFS GPT partition on an internal drive? I would find it very useful to be able to place my most used booting mediums there so I don't have to constantly use a USB flash drive. I would use this as a sort of onboard recovery partition of sorts.

Thanks!

#1202 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

I don't recommend running E2B from an internal drive.

It needs ptn #3 and #4 free.

Also, it expects an MBR partition table and an MBR drive.

So, no....

#1203 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info. That is really the only major limitation I can find with E2B, since it relies on Grub4DOS, which in turn seems to currently only work in legacy mode. I mean, you can switch to an imgPTN, which will then be presented to the firmware as a valid FAT32 booting medium for UEFI. And I know that you can boot in UEFI mode on a flash drive that has either a MBR or GPT partition table. But for booting recovery tools located on a NTFS GPT partition.....no idea. Can you suggest any other alternatives to accomplish what I am seeking?

#1204 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

With v1.93a Beta I have now included support for the offline installation of Chocolatey packages.

This means that the SDI_CHOCO process can now be completely offline and you can install drivers using Snappy Driver Installer, Windows updates using wsusoffline installer and apps using Chocolatey ready-made packages completely unattended and from an unmodified Windows Install ISO file.

http://rmprepusb.blo...ne-package.html

Please let me know if you try it.

#1205 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:09 PM

Latest E2B v1.93 BETA includes a GIFtoIMA.cmd script which makes it really easy to convert an Animated GIF into an IMA file for use with E2B.

If the GIF is not the correct type, load and re-save it using the free 3rd party app KickMyGraphics.

Details in blog post here.

Now anyone can easily add their own animation to E2B.

#1206 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:49 AM

Having some problems with running Win10 ISO files through E2B as of late. The screen will just freeze after I select a profile from the list (home, pro, no repair, repair, choco etc..)

All I see are the ISO name and Unattend.xml followed by a vertical | forever. I've been able to fix it a few times by running the contigous.bat, or moving some files around randomly (I think), or by redownloading the ISO. But it keeps coming back for some reason.

Drive is a 128GB NTFS formatted pendrive from Kingston, but I've also seen it happen on my old 64GB G3 Datatraveler.

#1207 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

What if you test using \QEMU_MENU_TEST (run as admin).cmd - does it get as far as booting the windows ISO (QEMU is 32-bit)?

Also try VirtualBox + VMUB.

If that gives the same problem, then it is not a problem with the system that you are booting the stick with.

It could be the USB drive has faulty memory. Can you test it with H2TESTW or FakeFlashTest? There are many fake Kingstons around.

If you make a freshly formatted USB drive and use the same ISO and it works, then that points to a bad USB stick.

#1208 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:00 PM

Booted the ISO through QEMU first try.

While I'll definitely run the Flashtests, I highly doubt they are fakes. All three? (Might be four) drives I've used/made for colleagues have been bought in-house from our suppliers. No dodgy webstores involved.

#1209 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

If it boots using QEMU but not from a real system, then that means the system you are using to do 'real' boots from is suspect and the USB drives themselves are probably OK.

Some BIOSes have the 128GB bug.

Maybe bad USB I/O communication - try rear USB ports.

if using a USb 3 port, try a USb 2 port.

#1210 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

I'll try other ports on machines that refuse the first attempt - So much faster using E2B than network installs.

Thanks for the help. :)

#1211 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

If a system only has USB 3 ports and you have a USB 3 flash key and you suspect i/o errors, connect a USB 2.0 cable between the port and the USB drive so it only loads at USB 2 speeds.

Some USB 3 ports (esp. laptops) are badly designed and get I/O errors with certain high-speed USB devices.

#1212 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

Clever - I'll definitely try that too.

#1213 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:32 AM

I'm getting 2 UEFI boot entries when switching in an imgPTN. I had made a Gandalf's Win10PE imgPTN that can be booted in legacy or UEFI, both modes work 100%. But when I select an entry in my boot options, it shows 2 partitions to select. The first boots into the PE, the 2nd does nothing. I checked the USB FDD in Disk Management while the imgPTN is switched in, the 1st, 3rd, and 4th partitions are unallocated, the 2nd is the PE itself (presumably NTFS). What causes this behavior? Is this a glitch? If 3 of the partitions are unallocated/raw then there is nothing to boot on those partitions, why are they listed (since they're not FAT32)? And for that matter, why are only 2 shown instead of 4? This doesn't present an issue but it hasnt happened until now, and only with this PE. I'm using the latest E2B and MPI released this month.

#1214 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Select each icon and press SPACEBAR - it will tell you what file it is looking at 

#1215 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

You mean....in my BIOS/UEFI boot options?.....pressing Space doesn't do anything, it's just the normal select a boot option with Enter. When I say boot options, I'm referencing what appears on-screen when I press F7 at powerup.

#1216 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

So you mean you get two Clover boot menu options in the CSM menu - one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit?

That is because there will be two EFI boot files as listed below the CSM menu.

There are two types of UEFI firmware - 32-bit and 64-bit.

#1217 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm not using E2B's Clover at all, my laptop only has USB 3.0 ports. I do have a standalone USB FDD on which Clover is installed, and it does work, but it only detects internal partitions, no USB devices. I didn't see a 32 bit option, and I suspect it wouldn't work anyway, since I have a very recent x64 CPU (i7-7700K). When I say boot menu I'm referring to my BIOS's boot menu, not E2B's. i.e. the one built into the hardware.

#1218 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

Sorry - I am confused. You post #1213 is not clear.

I'm getting 2 UEFI boot entries when switching in an imgPTN. - exactly what two entries? In which menu?

But when I select an entry in my boot options, it shows 2 partitions to select. What do you mean by 'my boot options' - what boot options? what menu?

What is the EXACT wording?

#1219 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

When I say "boot menu" I mean, literally, the boot menu that comes up when I press F7. In other words, the boot selection menu that is built into my BIOS/UEFI firmware. Surely you know what I mean. I really couldn't put it more simply than that. When my boot menu comes up, E2B (being software) hasn't even had a chance to load yet.

So:

1. Switch in imgPTN

2. Use the Reboot option (since the Clover built into E2B doesn't work, I must use my hardware's native UEFI capabilities)

3. Press F7, 2 boot options appear for the USB, partition #1 and partition #2, it doesnt give much more of a description than that. The 1st works, the 2nd doesn't.

#1220 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

Windows Disk Management lies.

Use RMPrepUSB - Drive Info - 0

You will probably see two partitions - one is the .imgPTN file, the other is the hidden (sometimes!) Type 21h small dummy partition that is present on the E2B drive.

It may be formatted as FAT and will probably be empty.

#1221 alacran

alacran

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 510 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

Hi steve6375

I just put on an 8 GB USB stick (NTFS formated) your Great Tool E2B v1.93A and I have some questions:

1.- Selected spanish language and all menus are in spanish now, very well done congratulations, but I didn't find an option for spanish keyboard, can you please tell me how can I change it?

2.- All my *.iso booted just fine from BACKUP, UTILITIES and WINPE subfolders, in order to test *.wim boot, I extracted boot.wim from my MistyPE-10x64.iso to _ISO\WIN and rename it to Misty10x64.wim, it booted flawlessly. I assume it is the same for *.VHD files, just copy it to E2B\ _ISO\WIN and rename it if required. Is that right?

3.- All this was in an old Bios PC, now to boot on a EFI/UEFI Bios only way is *.imgPTN or is there another way using maybe grub2 as loader?

alacran

#1222 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

Hi

There is a spanish keyboard layout but for some reason I have not put it in the GUI or cmd script!

I will fix it in next Beta (v1.94c).

put

set KBD=KBD_SPANISH.G4B

into the \_ISO\MyE2B.cfg file for now.

.wim and .vhd files can be placed in any 'normal' menu folder. Just not in \_ISO\WINDOWS\xxxx folders.

UEFI booting (inc Secure boot) is via .imgPTN files.

There is a grub2 menu system which you can add for linux ISOs

http://www.easy2boot...efi-grub2-ptn2/

This is all documented at www.easy2boot.com and I suggest you use the Site Map to find info.

#1223 alacran

alacran

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 510 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

@steve6375

Thanks for your quick answer.

I will read all info in your site, thanks again.

About spanish keyboard there are 2 of them:

spanish for spain and spanish for LA  (Latin American)

I do not have a problem as I use the first one, but I wanted to let you know as someone else may need the other (very comun on Laptops).

alacran

#1224 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13804 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

I do not have a problem as I use the first one, but I wanted to let you know as someone else may need the other (very comun on Laptops).

Maybe this can be of use as a base:

http://reboot.pro/to...eyboard-layout/

http://reboot.pro/to...out/#entry68522

:duff:

Wonko

#1225 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

For E2B, we usually just need A-Z,a-z,0-9 to answer questions or enter a password and F1-F10 keys.

Maybe also filenames which use - _ () . / and \ too.

The other keys do not usually need to be translated or used.

If you define your own passwords, I suggest you don't use 'special' characters because you may need to boot E2B on a system that has a different keyboard. Using a PIN number instead of a word-string is a good compromise.

Note that because E2B is coded to look for Y and N as answers to some questions, you should answer using Y=Yes or N=No.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users