grub4dos multiboot multipass usb boot iso

• Please log in to reply
1211 replies to this topic

#1201 Zoso_The_Internet_Tard

Zoso_The_Internet_Tard

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, I see the question is answered on your E2B website. I'll get around to converting the ISO soon. I find that imgPTNs are usually more useful because they can boot in either legacy or UEFI, ISOs appear to work only in legacy mode.

I have another quick question: Is it possible to run E2B from within a NTFS GPT partition on an internal drive? I would find it very useful to be able to place my most used booting mediums there so I don't have to constantly use a USB flash drive. I would use this as a sort of onboard recovery partition of sorts.

Thanks!

#1202 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6557 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:16 PM

I don't recommend running E2B from an internal drive.

It needs ptn #3 and #4 free.

Also, it expects an MBR partition table and an MBR drive.

So, no....

#1203 Zoso_The_Internet_Tard

Zoso_The_Internet_Tard

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 525 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info. That is really the only major limitation I can find with E2B, since it relies on Grub4DOS, which in turn seems to currently only work in legacy mode. I mean, you can switch to an imgPTN, which will then be presented to the firmware as a valid FAT32 booting medium for UEFI. And I know that you can boot in UEFI mode on a flash drive that has either a MBR or GPT partition table. But for booting recovery tools located on a NTFS GPT partition.....no idea. Can you suggest any other alternatives to accomplish what I am seeking?

#1204 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6557 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

With v1.93a Beta I have now included support for the offline installation of Chocolatey packages.

This means that the SDI_CHOCO process can now be completely offline and you can install drivers using Snappy Driver Installer, Windows updates using wsusoffline installer and apps using Chocolatey ready-made packages completely unattended and from an unmodified Windows Install ISO file.

http://rmprepusb.blo...ne-package.html

Please let me know if you try it.

#1205 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6557 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 3 weeks ago

Latest E2B v1.93 BETA includes a GIFtoIMA.cmd script which makes it really easy to convert an Animated GIF into an IMA file for use with E2B.

If the GIF is not the correct type, load and re-save it using the free 3rd party app KickMyGraphics.

Details in blog post here.

Now anyone can easily add their own animation to E2B.

#1206 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted A week ago

Having some problems with running Win10 ISO files through E2B as of late. The screen will just freeze after I select a profile from the list (home, pro, no repair, repair, choco etc..)

All I see are the ISO name and Unattend.xml followed by a vertical | forever. I've been able to fix it a few times by running the contigous.bat, or moving some files around randomly (I think), or by redownloading the ISO. But it keeps coming back for some reason.

Drive is a 128GB NTFS formatted pendrive from Kingston, but I've also seen it happen on my old 64GB G3 Datatraveler.

#1207 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6557 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

What if you test using \QEMU_MENU_TEST (run as admin).cmd - does it get as far as booting the windows ISO (QEMU is 32-bit)?

Also try VirtualBox + VMUB.

If that gives the same problem, then it is not a problem with the system that you are booting the stick with.

It could be the USB drive has faulty memory. Can you test it with H2TESTW or FakeFlashTest? There are many fake Kingstons around.

If you make a freshly formatted USB drive and use the same ISO and it works, then that points to a bad USB stick.

#1208 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted A week ago

Booted the ISO through QEMU first try.

While I'll definitely run the Flashtests, I highly doubt they are fakes. All three? (Might be four) drives I've used/made for colleagues have been bought in-house from our suppliers. No dodgy webstores involved.

#1209 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6557 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

If it boots using QEMU but not from a real system, then that means the system you are using to do 'real' boots from is suspect and the USB drives themselves are probably OK.

Some BIOSes have the 128GB bug.

Maybe bad USB I/O communication - try rear USB ports.

if using a USb 3 port, try a USb 2 port.

#1210 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted A week ago

I'll try other ports on machines that refuse the first attempt - So much faster using E2B than network installs.

Thanks for the help. :)

#1211 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6557 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted A week ago

If a system only has USB 3 ports and you have a USB 3 flash key and you suspect i/o errors, connect a USB 2.0 cable between the port and the USB drive so it only loads at USB 2 speeds.

Some USB 3 ports (esp. laptops) are badly designed and get I/O errors with certain high-speed USB devices.

#1212 Mansen

Mansen
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
    Denmark

Posted A week ago

Clever - I'll definitely try that too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users