grub4dos multiboot multipass usb boot iso

• Please log in to reply
1250 replies to this topic

#1176 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:50 PM

Is the USB drive a Removable-type flash drive?

If so, WIndows will not be able to see the AutoUnattend,xml file because Windows cannot see the 2nd partition.

Also, even if it could see the XML file, it will not be able to see the ISO and load it using ImDisk because that is also on the 2nd partition.

There is a sample mnu file which will swap round the two partitions. Then the Win7 install will work. But you will need to swap it back again afterwards.

Note that some systems will refuse the MBR boot from a USB disk that has FAT32+UEFI files (even with CSM mode enabled).

So your USB drive can never MBR boot to WinPE or E2B on these systems.

HTH

Steve

#1177 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

Hi Steve

Thank you for reply.

I forgot that driver name , which could mount both removable usb partitions at the same time in windows? i used to play around with it back in 2009/10 for God knows why. I am thinking that if we can somehow manage to load that driver via grub4dos like we load winvblock or firadisk, we can install win7 from 2nd partition ?

Moreover , can you please point to the mnu file for partition swap , and how to call it from boot menu ? And why is it necessary to swipe it back ?

Yes , my usb is removable with 2 partitions , one data partition ntfs and one primary fat32 . I am willing to use this setup just for 4gb limitation issue .

Also please advise , what advantages flashboot software has over normal tools like rmprepusb or bootice ? I am not interested in Windows to Go feature or stuff like that.

Regards
Maanu

#1178 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

The mnu file is at "\_ISO\docs\Sample mnu files\E2B Menus\E2B_PTN_SWAP.mnu"

If you switch partitions, your WinPE files will then be on partition 2 and may not work correctly unless you switch the partitions back first.

flashboot formats the drive as FAT32 in a special way which is compatible for old systems which support USB booting but boot the USB as a floppy which grub4dos does not like. So if you use Flashboot+E2B+FAT32 it will boot on these old systems.

#1179 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

i investigated further , and verified that NTFS is infect 1st partition (hd0,0) and still WINPE files from 2nd partition FAT32 loading fine. 

when i booted to the win7 setup , i pressed shift+f10 , loaded DISKPART and LIST DISK only showed my internal HDD and was not showing my attached usb  , even though i was using USB 2.0 port . not USB 3.0 . 

any idea why my usb drive was not showing ? 

#1180 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Windows 7 does not contain USB controller drivers for modern chipsets.

Even if you use a USB 2 port, it may still be connected to a controller that is not supported by Windows 7 (unless you inject the correct drivers).

For instance, my Lenovo IdeaPad 300 has the same Win7 issue with both USB 2 and USB 3 ports.

Sometimes you can change the BIOS USB settings to 'USB 2 only' and Win7 may work.

It depends on the hardware and BIOS options.

The PC may boot from the 2nd FAT partition, but even if it has the correct drivers, it will not access the 2nd partition on a Removable drive, so any files on that partition cannot be accessed by the WinPE.

Also, some BIOSes support UEFI-booting from NTFS partitions (e.g. my Asus Z87 PC). However, the UEFI-standard is that FAT is supported, so other PCs will not UEFI-boot from an NTFS partition.

I also found that my Z87 mainboard would not UEFI-boot if an ext3 partition was present!

http://rmprepusb.blo...om-my-asus.html

P.S. Beware of DISKPART - it has a habit or re-ordering the partitions back to their 'correct' order for you when you exit it!

Edited by steve6375, 01 March 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#1181 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

ok , can you link me to the drivers files for win7 ? so that i can load them using RUN module by Sratif ?

, and in theory , i guess win10 iso should work . since it ll have correct drivers .  

#1182 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

Since I don't know what USB controller your PC has, I don't know what drivers you need.

Intel provide a utility to add Intel USB drivers to Win7

https://downloadcent.../download/25476

I don't know what you mean by RUN module or Sratif???

Win10 is always best because it will have latest drivers.

#1183 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

hi , Thank you for pointing out the error . 

i was able to successfully test the same dual partition setup on my older laptop , booting same win7 iso . 

RUN module is based on grub4dos , which was developed by Sratif (from wuyou ) . 

http://bbs.wuyou.net...read&tid=191301

for example 

title Start Server2003 Install \n make sure you have WIN03.ISO in /INST folder \n it is strongly recommended to disable Other HDD's \n from Bios Setup \n dont forget to hit S to swap HDD \n Remember there is no need to boot from USB on GUI mode
set usrpath=/INST/
command /INST/RUN --fira:2k3.IMA  iso=WIN03.ISO

• devdevadev likes this

#1184 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

So you are able to install Win7 from the 2nd partition? Really? Did you test?

#1185 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

So you are able to install Win7 from the 2nd partition? Really? Did you test?

i did not completely test installation , i just went till the final step where setup asks to format partition . before that firadisk ofcourse detected the iso .

i ll confirm you tomorrow , after i ll test install on one of the pc's in office .   

and my DATA partition is 1st partition as per RMprepusb , and grub4dos also detected it as HD0,0)

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-03-01_232718.png

#1186 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

The screenshot you show, has the 29Gb NTFS as partition 1 (not partition2 as you stated)??

You said

PTN1 FAT32 2GB ACT HIDE
PTN2 NTFS 29GB

Screenshot shows
PTN1 NTFS 29GB
PTN2 FAT32 ACT HIDDEN

#1187 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

i apologize for miscommunication , infect NTFS partition was at 1st position since beginning . it was giving me error because of my chipset.

#1188 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

I'm about to buy a customized Sager NP9876 gaming notebook. Will this be capable of MBR/CSM and UEFI booting? I know that some newer systems will only boot in UEFI. I'm also aware that I may not be able to use E2B on a system if my USB FDD contains both MBR and UEFI boot files and has CSM enabled. Do Sager machines typically have these issues?

Thanks!

#1189 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

Sorry, no idea!

FDD = Floppy Disk Drive. UFD = USB Flash Drive.

#1190 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:26 AM

E2B goes commercial  :)

http://rmprepusb.blo...commercial.html

#1191 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13803 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Which is in itself bad news enough, but much more than that the reasons why it went commercial are really saddening. :(

Sorry for your mother-in-Law, happy that Theo is now OK :).

I personally find the licensing change a terrible, morally and ethically highly debatable, decision and I won't comment on the utter stupidity of validation through the internet, but if you (and your future customers) are happy with it, it's perfectly fine[*], good luck on this new path you took.

:duff:

Wonko

[*] Compliance with the GPL of some of the tools used to be verified

#1192 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Wonko (err... did you note the date in the blog post  ;) )

#1193 nguyentu

nguyentu

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:49 PM

Why not release a free version and a Pro version instead?

#1194 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13803 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

Thanks Wonko (err... did you note the date in the blog post  ;) )

Sure, it is the SAME as the one in your previous, my previous (and in the present) post.

Why not release a free version and a Pro version instead?

Naah, too simple, it would be better a Starter, Home, Professional and an Ultimate version, and let us not forget a Minority version to be politically correct.

Wonko
  • devdevadev likes this

#1195 alacran

alacran

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 508 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

You forgot the free chinese version to avoid piracy.

alacran

#1196 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13803 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

You forgot the free chinese version to avoid piracy.

alacran

Chinese may sound "cheap", "East Asian Special Edition" sounds better. ;)

Wonko
  • saddlejib likes this

#1197 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:25 PM

E2B v1.92f now has an XML file for automatically patching UtilMan.exe and SetHC.exe to get admin access to any unencrypted Windows system.

Just select a standard Windows 10 install ISO and the 'Hack Windows.XML' file.

For more details see my blog post here.

P.S. I discovered that recent Windows Updates seems to have broken SFC which now thinks the Windows Winsxs source files are corrupt and so won't repair utilman.exe or sethc.exe any more!

#1198 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:48 PM

Commodore PET theme for E2B here.

The Personal Electronic Transactor is 40 years old this year!

CapturePET.JPG

#1199 IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

IAmTheTrueMeaningOfCovfefe

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:An investigation is underway to determine whether Trump has any ties to America.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

@steve6375: So you booted E2B on a Commodore. Nice! But good luck getting 10 to run on that same hardware!

I have a Gandalf Win10PE ISO, I mainly use it because it can run both x64 and x86 programs, and has a very nice look and lots of utilities. As of now, I can boot the ISO by placing it into E2B's PE folder. But will it work properly if I convert the ISO to an FAT32 imgPTN? The ISO appears to have legacy as well as UEFI boot files.

Thanks!

Edit: As clarification, I would like to boot this PE in UEFI mode, not legacy.

#1200 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6641 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

http://www.easy2boot...-payload-files/

Try it and see!

When you convert to .imgPTN, it should be exactly the same as if you used Rufus to make a FAT32 USB drive, i.e. a flat-file install.

So if it will boot from a normal FAT32 USB stick, it will boot as a FAT32 .imgPTN file because they are pretty-much identical.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)