• Please log in to reply
1376 replies to this topic

#751 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

I finally upgraded from v1.05 to 1.52 and have pretty much everything looking and behaving the same.

One minor annoyance is when I run apps or an OS from my sub boot menu. I keep seeing a two line msg

being flashed at the top of the screen starting with the word osrun.g4b .....

If I recall correctly setting  set redir=> nul and set redirp=> nul in v1.06 was enough to suppress any messages when booting an app. Am I missing another option for this in the new config?

#752 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

No - those messages were added to qrun.g4b since 1.05   (1.05!!!!!!  :wacko: )

In qrun.g4b near the start there is a line

echo -e QRUN.g4b - File extension of %1 is %~x1\nRunning code for %~x1 (if it exists)...

If you like, just add %redir% to the end - e.g.

echo -e QRUN.g4b - File extension of %1 is %~x1\nRunning code for %~x1 (if it exists)... %redir%

I will add this in to the next version ;-)

#753 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

After suppressing the QRUN  message, I am now seeing three lines flashed at the top. I thought it might be from grub so I ran patchme, but I still briefly see the lines.  One word on the 1st line is filesystem on the 2nd line I see load. Too fast to see much.  This is just nitpicking, but curious where the messages are coming from.

#754 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Not sure - try running using QEMU from RMPrepUSB - it should be slower and easier to see...

p.s. when do you see these message?

#755 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

Not sure - try running using QEMU from RMPrepUSB - it should be slower and easier to see...

p.s. when do you see these message?

After selecting an entry that I want to run. Usually an iso. Before, when i saw the QRUN echo after selecting an entry, I did not notice these other lines. Only after using %redir% in QRUN..g4b

#756 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

You mean like this (see thumbnail)? They are messages output by grub4dos as various commands are executed. I found the problem - to fix, in qrun.g4b at the very end of the file you have...

debug 0
:.isoA
goto :eof

change it to

:.isoA
debug 0
goto :eof

This will also be in the next version!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.JPG

#757 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

Yes, like the thumbnail. How in the world did you manage to capture the message? I'm trying to figure out a way to do captures like this so I have a reference as to what is going on. Too bad Grub doesn't have a message logger.

#758 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

I just put a 'pause' command in qrun.g4b before it actually booted from the ISO.

You can single-step grub4dos by pressing the INSERT key as it starts to boot.

#759 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:23 AM

Hello Steve.....

As you said that  "So proof that Win 8.1 ToGo must be run from a Fixed-disk type of  USB drive! ".

But I have successfully booted into 'WTG+WIMBoot+VHDX' from my NTFS formatted Removable USB Drive. It works perfect amazingly. And best thing which I feel that whole setup takes time equal to the time required for Hard disk Installation. I think you should take a look of my
' 'Win8.1U1_x86-install-WIM_x86-boot.WIM_Installer_WTG+WIMBoot+VHDX.imgPTN' which save both time and space. Now I can put both 'Win 8.1 U1' Installer and WTG in a same .imgPTN file with common 'install.wim' file. If you not tried it yet then please take a try.

Note- If I install 'Win 8.1 U1' files directly on the root of NTFS Removable USB Drive then It show ever-lasting spinning circle of dots!). But when I use "WIMBoot+VHDX(contains Pointer files)" or "Only VHDX" , then it boot perfectly.

Steps- 

1- Boot into 'Win 8.1 U1' which contains wimboot updates.
2- Copy install.wim to the NTFS Removable USB disk.
3- Run WinNTSetup v.3.6.1
4- select the install.wim file as source with from USB Drive, select the wimboot option
4- Select all options within 'Tweaks' button 
5- select the USB drive as boot drive
6- create a vhd(x) file in the Local Hard disk, mount the vhd as partition and format this if required.
7- select this as target partition
8- and apply the image into VHDX partition
9- Boot from USB Drive 3 times unless you got you new desktop.
10- Now copy VHDX fron Local hard disk to NTFS USB Drive.
11- Unhide 'Boot Directory' in USB Drive and relocated VHDX in boot/BCD from Local Hard disk Partition to USB Drive Partition with the help of Bootice/BCDEdit option. Delete/Change Location of VHDX from Local Hard disk.
12- Now boot from you USB Drive . Done...........

So I think that WTG work in Removable USB Drive but we have to use VHDX for Installation file. 

Note-  You can also add source/boot.wim and boot/boot.sdi in the .imgPTN file and use both Win 8.1 Installer and WTG from the same .imgPTN file. Whole setup saves lots of time and Space.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Win8.1U1_x86-install-WIM_x64-boot.WIM_Installer_WTG+WIMBoot+VHDX.imgPTN' -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please give your precious suggestions if anything is missing from above setup...........

Thanks & Regards........ 

#760 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

These instructions are not very clear. What size do you make the vhdx and how do you make it? Don't I have to use BCDBOOT somewhere?

These instructions say to use an NTFS partition but your link says to use two FAT32 partitions?

Please can you describe in detail what you did?

#761 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

These instructions are not very clear. What size do you make the vhdx and how do you make it? Don't I have to use BCDBOOT somewhere?

These instructions say to use an NTFS partition but your link says to use two FAT32 partitions?

Please can you describe in detail what you did?

http://reboot.pro/to...ng/#entry186023....

#762 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

So in Step 1 you create a FAT32 E2B drive - in step 3 you create a 7GB .imgPTN file and then copy to your FAT32 E2B drive?

How did you fit a 7GB file on a FAT32 partition????!!!

#763 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:48 AM

Sorry Steve...

Actually size of my 'install.wim' file was 1.6 GB . So I make 'WIMBoot.vhdx' of size 1050 MB. Thus whole size of .imgPTN file was only just 3.2 GB. Please make E2B Partition as NTFS.

Regards.....

#764 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

My all ISO are either AIO or Lite types. So I do not know about the actual size Win 8.1 U1 'install.wim' file.

Can you please tell me about the exact size of your 'install.wim' file ?

#765 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Step 2 should say NTFS Partition 2???

• devdevadev likes this

#766 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

You may trim install.wim too.
http://technet.micro...y/dn621983.aspx

A 3.3 GB amd64 install.wim drops to a 2.9 GB wimboot.wim.

So x86 install.wim drops to a ????? GB wimboot.wim ?

Will Installation of Windows from USB remains as usual if I replace \sources\install.wim with \sources\WIMBoot.wim ?

Regards.....

#767 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

So in Step 1 you create a FAT32 E2B drive - in step 3 you create a 7GB .imgPTN file and then copy to your FAT32 E2B drive?

How did you fit a 7GB file on a FAT32 partition????!!!

Sorry Steve....But I could not understand one thing that Why I can not keep 7GB .imgPTN file within FAT32 E2B Drive ?

In your 'Method 1' you said that we can split >4GB 'install.wim' files into <4GB \sources\install.swm and install2.swm files and put them into 'Win81U1-AIO.imgPTN'. So I think that 'Win81U1-AIO.imgPTN' should always exceed 4GB limit in case of 'Method 1' , then how we can implement 'Method 1' in FAT32 USB practice ??????

Will we also have to use NTFS E2B Partition in case of 'Method 1-4' ?

If 'Yes' ,then Please mention this point in your Tutorial in order to clear this confusion because normally we always use FAT32 format for E2B Partition.......

Regards..........

#768 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

deleted double post..

#769 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I just redid by E2B flash and I've been hit with the blinking cursor problem. Both PBR and MBR have grub in it. I ran it under QEMU and the E2B Menu appears there. When I boot natively, I get no menu. I'm have no idea what I did wrong. I compared the flash with another flash and the files are virtually the same with the exception of one iso. The same flash worked previously. Any ideas?

When I redid the flash, I did a quick format, changed the partition back id to 0c  and installed grub from rmprep. I could not do the format with rmprep because I need the other 2 partitions on the flash.

#770 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

Flashing cursor (with no messages, etc. beforehand) indicates an initial boot code problem.

If grub4dos is installed to the MBR and PBR, then the code involved will be in the MBR (and possibly the PBR depending on your BIOS).

You say you changed the partition id back to 0C  - from what? How did you format it? Is it a fixed disk type?

#771 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15103 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

That error is often connected with a (wrong) setting of the geometry in the  BPB in the bootsector, or to CHS/LBA mismatch in the partition table in the MBR.

Qemu has usually a "strict" BIOS, which may have not created (it depends by a number of factors) the "standard" 255/63 geometry that is on the other hand used by most "real hardware" BIOSes.

Check that the CHS and LBA are "balanced" in the MBR partition table.

Check that the geometry corresponds to 255/63 in the PBR.

:duff:

Wonko

#772 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

This is all assuming that you haven't changed any BIOS settings in the target system, of course, and that it is trying to boot from the USB drive as a hard disk and not a floppy or ZIP drive...

#773 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

Flashing cursor (with no messages, etc. beforehand) indicates an initial boot code problem.

If grub4dos is installed to the MBR and PBR, then the code involved will be in the MBR (and possibly the PBR depending on your BIOS).

You say you changed the partition id back to 0C  - from what? How did you format it? Is it a fixed disk type?

the partition type was 0B. I changed it back to 0c with bootice. I used the xp quick format gui. How can I see if it is a fixed disk type?

#774 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:00 AM

If XP can see all 3 partitions then it will be the fixed disk type. If you have to use BootIce or RMPrepUSB - Ctlr-O to make one partition the accessible one, then it is the removable type.

Can you try reformatting with XP but don't change the ID with bootice? Also only install grub4dos to the MBR.

Or use RMPrepUSB - Drive Info and post results for MBR  (0)   and PBR (P1).

#775 adric

adric

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

On XP, I inserted two flash drives (one that works and the other that doesn't.) Both show as removable.

Here's the USBInfo for the one that doesn't work.

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users