grub4dos multiboot multipass usb boot iso

• Please log in to reply
1336 replies to this topic

#626 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

chenall has kindly modified the grub4dos executable utility chkpci. It now takes a -w:xx parameter on the command line.

The new utilities can be downloaded from here (if this link is broken look for an April 2014 version of grubutils here.)

Previously, if you used the command:

chkpci -u /driverpack.ini

it would find the mass storage PCI ID of the current system and then look for the PCI ID in the INI file and output the INI file section details.

The problem with this was that the DriverPack.ini had sections for Windows 200 and Windows 2003 as well as Windows XP.

This means that often you would get several drivers returned.

With the new parameter:

chkpci -w:xp -u /driverpack.ini

will only return the xp drivers.

I have used this in the new Easy2Boot version 1.32. If your ISO has a filename containing 2k3 then E2B will use -w:2k to find Win2k drivers, if your ISO has 2k3 in the name, it will look for 2k3 drivers. Otherwise it will look for xp drivers.

• ilko likes this

#627 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

I hope that the next version of Easy2Boot will support FAT32 'image files' for UEFI booting.

• I have a working demo USB Flashdrive with E2B as an NTFS volume (it can up to two primary partitions as usual for E2B, either FAT32 or NTFS).
  • I can select 'KonBoot UEFI' from the menu and then when it reboots, I can boot up from the USB drive in UEFI mode and run KonBoot in UEFI mode.
  • After I have finished, I can boot from the USB drive again in MBR mode and then choose the 'Boot to E2B' menu entry (or run KonBoot in MBR mode or boot from the internal HDD in MBR mode).
  • if I select 'Boot to E2B' it will then reboot again and I can get back to the normal E2B menu again.

The only snag is that you must prepare a working version of a FAT32 USB UEFI drive first (Simple volume) which will boot as UEFI, then add the grub4dos grldr file and a menu.lst and then make an image of the drive.

Once the UEFI USB drive is prepared, you can make an image of the partition using RMPrepUSB (the image will be the same size as the parition).

I am also working on a Windows batch file which will make a .img file for you from a specified folder or USB drive or ISO file. You specify the size that you want. This means you can make a .img file easily (e.g. by running the batch file on a Windows 8 install ISO to make a Win8_EFI_Install.img file). I may add this into RMPrepUSB as a menu function later.

It is still early days yet and I have only tested it with KonBoot.img but it should also work for Win7/8 installs (as long as the install.wim file is less than 4GB)

So your E2B menu can have separate entries for separate UEFI images (e.g. Win 8 install, KonBoot, etc.). 

I tried it with lubuntu-13.10-desktop-amd64.iso but it seems to fail to find the squashfs - anyone know what sort of disk format/layout it expects for EFI booting from a FAT32 USB drive?

Spoke too soon! Tested on a real system and I am writing this in the lubuntu browser booted from my Z87 board in UEFI mode :-)

#628 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

The method mentioned above allows you to install Windows from a USB Hard Disk without needing an E2B 'Helper' Removable Flash drive.

If you format the image as FAT32 then you can install in MBR mode and UEFI mode.

If you format the image file in NTFS format then you can only install Windows in MBR mode, but you can at least install from a very large install.wim file without needing an E2B 'Helper' Removable Flash drive. 

#629 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

An early BETA for the MPI Update Pack is available for download from the easy2boot.com website. The MakePartImage.cmd script is not yet fully tidied up and optimised, but should work.

As I don't want inexperienced people 'playing' with it (as they could lose the contents of their E2B USB drive) please contact me for the password for the zip file.

#630 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

A new MPI_Update_Pack is available at here for use with the new release of E2B v1.32. It is a Release Candidate. (currently 007)

Still a few tweaks to make so you need to contact me for a password to unzip it (so I can keep track of who is trying it out!)

Please try creating a few .imgPTN image files using MakePartImage from Windows or Linux ISOs and let me know if you find any problems.

For most answers, when prompted, just hit [Enter].

With thanks for Wonko for some badly needed scripting and utilities help :good:

By using .imgPTN files, you can UEFI boot Windows or linux or multiple FAT32 Hirens images (with full functionality in each one) from an NTFS E2B hard disk.

You can also boot Windows Installs from an E2B Hard disk without needing to connect a USB 'Helper' Flash drive.

Here's my current test menu...

E2B_imgPtn_Menu.png

#631 BenKell

BenKell
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hey Guys - 

First of all, thank you very much for the continued development of Easy2Boot.  I had looked for method to do what it does for a while and am so glad it exists and gets continued updates!

I've got a quick question about adding a specific ISO, please.

I am currently using Windows SuperAIO v5 ISO to install various Windows OS's.  It's hosted on torrent sites - but - the WIMs included are OEM, not pirated / preactivated, and I use my personally owned license keys (mostly from TechNet for labs) to activate the OS's.

If you are unfamilier with it, I use it because the single ISO contains 181 Windows OS installation / bootable tool options including Windows 7 - 8.1 Update 1 & Server 2008 R2 - 2012 R2 Update 1.  Here's a link to version 5 files which update the version 4 ISO.  The ISO is ~30gb.

The Issue

I'm trying to use it with Easy2Boot on my 64gb USB drive.  The problem is, even though it initially boots to a Windows 8 PE, I don't know where to put it, what extension to give it, or if I need an mnu file as it contains parts of many OS's. I'll never install each of the 181 individually from Easy2Boot, but due to my work may need to use any of them at any given time.

Below are a few screenshots I took of it's boot process when running in a VM.  Hopefully, it will help.  Any suggestions are appreciated - Thanks!!

1. Initial Boot - Choose to enter SETUP (to install man versions of Windows OS) or boot to a Windows OS Tool

boot1.png

2. When choosing SETUP, it seems to load Windows 8 PE

boot2.png

3.  Once PE is loaded, it runs a script for a few seconds

boot3.png

4. After script, you have a text-based menu where you choose your Windows version.  Once selected, the disk is also partitioned via this menu.

boot4.png

After OS selection, partitioning. and a couple of other things; the system seems to pick up where the selected OS OEM installation does after it finishes copying files and rebooting.  

Any ideas would be helpful.  If you need more info or want me to post further information, I"ll be happy to.

Thanks!!!

#632 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

Does it work if you just copy the whole thing to a USB Flash drive and use \bootmgr to boot it?

i.e. if you use RMPrepUSB or Rufus to make a USB Flash drive (or USB HDD)?

Does it need to be NTFS formatted?

P.S. Does it support UEFI booting or just MBR booting?

#633 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14955 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

I am currently using Windows SuperAIO v5 ISO to install various Windows OS's.  It's hosted on torrent sites - but - the WIMs included are OEM, not pirated / preactivated, and I use my personally owned license keys (mostly from TechNet for labs) to activate the OS's.

And the guys on Piratebay clearly have a redistribution agreement with Microsoft, I presume. :frusty:

Sheesh. :(

http://emgn.com/ente...-31-pictures/1/

Seems-Legit-1.png

:duff:

Wonko

#634 BenKell

BenKell
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

Thanks steve6375 - 

Below are the best answers I can come up with...

Does it work if you just copy the whole thing to a USB Flash drive and use \bootmgr to boot it?  i.e. if you use RMPrepUSB or Rufus to make a USB Flash drive (or USB HDD)?
I don't know - never tried making a single bootable USB with RMPrepUSB.  Below is a brief outline for the process I use to create a bootable, Windows installer USB.  This method does work with the SuperAIO...
1. Insert USB drive & start DiskPart
2. Clean entire disk
3. Create single primary partition
4. Format partition NTFS
5. Make partition Active
6. Extract ISO / copy files to root of newly created partition/drive

I can test what you mentioned if you think it would make a difference...

Does it need to be NTFS formatted?
Yes.  The ISO is ~30gb anyways so well over the 4gb FAT32 limit - if that's what you are getting at...

Does it support UEFI booting or just MBR booting?
Seems so, but would prefer MBR if possible as it's possible I may be using the boot disk on legacy machines.  Personally, I haven't tried SuperAIO via UEFI.  Guess I'm still old school when it comes to booting.  However, I did some research and here below are the UEFI-related excerpts from Notes and Changes sections of the most recent major release of SuperAIO:

Notes:
-I recommend against using the "Recovery Partition" option if installing
a Win7 or Server2008R2 version in UEFI boot mode. In Bios boot mode, the
recovery partitions work fine for all indexes, and win8.x/server2012 does
not have the UEFI recovery image problem.

-Bios boot setup uses x86, so if you need to add a driver, get the x86
version for winpe 5.1. UEFI boot defaults to x64 options only. The script
will not stop you if you decide to install an x86 index on a UEFI boot
system, but it will warn you against it.

Changes:
-Got all the UEFI features working and tested.

Hope this answers your questions...

Thanks for your time and help!!

#635 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hi

If the 64GB USB drive is a 'Removable' USB Flash drive (RMPrepUSB says 'Removable' or Windows Explorer does NOT say 'Local Disk') then simply copy the ISO to \_ISO\MAINMENU and name it with a .isoPE01 file extension.

You should then be able to do MBR-mode installs and MSDaRT repairs to MBR disks (no UEFI boot).

If the 64GB is a Fixed-disk type - you can do the above but you will need to also connect an extra small WinHelper USB 'Removable-type' Flash drive - see here.

According to Murphy78, the ISO uses split-wim files and should work OK on a FAT32 volume as the files are all less than 4GB each in size.

So, to use it to it's full capability...

1. Add MPI_Tool_pack to your Windows system (recommend latest version which includes Clover)

2. Install ImDisk onto your Windows System (it's in the pack)

3. Double-click on the CreateDesktopShortcuts cmd file to create Desktop shortcuts for MPI

4. Ensure that the 30GB AIO ISO is on a nice fast HDD somewhere in your system (with at least 30GB of free space)

5. Drag and drop the AIO ISO onto the MPI_FAT32 desktop icon to make a AIO.imgPTN file

6. Copy the AIO.imgPTN file to your E2B drive and name it AIO.imgPTNLBAa  (your E2B drive will need to be NTFS formatted)

Now you can boot from this in MBR mode or UEFI mode. No Helper flash drive is needed.

Rinse and repeat with any other 'legal' PE/Win install ISOs you have.

HTH

Steve

#636 BenKell

BenKell
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hi

If the 64GB USB drive is a 'Removable' USB Flash drive (RMPrepUSB says 'Removable' or Windows Explorer does NOT say 'Local Disk') then simply copy the ISO to \_ISO\MAINMENU and name it with a .isoPE01 file extension.

You should then be able to do MBR-mode installs and MSDaRT repairs to MBR disks (no UEFI boot).

If the 64GB is a Fixed-disk type - you can do the above but you will need to also connect an extra small WinHelper USB 'Removable-type' Flash drive - see here.

According to Murphy78, the ISO uses split-wim files and should work OK on a FAT32 volume as the files are all less than 4GB each in size.

So, to use it to it's full capability...

1. Add MPI_Tool_pack to your Windows system (recommend latest version which includes Clover)

2. Install ImDisk onto your Windows System (it's in the pack)

3. Double-click on the CreateDesktopShortcuts cmd file to create Desktop shortcuts for MPI

4. Ensure that the 30GB AIO ISO is on a nice fast HDD somewhere in your system (with at least 30GB of free space)

5. Drag and drop the AIO ISO onto the MPI_FAT32 desktop icon to make a AIO.imgPTN file

6. Copy the AIO.imgPTN file to your E2B drive and name it AIO.imgPTNLBAa  (your E2B drive will need to be NTFS formatted)

Now you can boot from this in MBR mode or UEFI mode. No Helper flash drive is needed.

Rinse and repeat with any other 'legal' PE/Win install ISOs you have.

HTH

Steve

Thanks a ton Steve - 

I'm going to give it a shot tonight.  One thing that I still can't understand after reading what you wrote was FAT32 vs the ISO.  You said:

"According to Murphy78, the ISO uses split-wim files and should work OK on a FAT32 volume as the files are all less than 4GB each in size.

So, to use it to it's full capability..."

yet I'd think copying a 30gb ISO to a FAT volume wouldn't be allowed.  Perhaps the apps you have me install extracts something in the process.  Anyways, I'll give it a shot and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again!

- UPDATE -

OK - re-read and say end where you say the USB needs to be NTFS.  Understand now.  Giveing it a shot now.  Thanks again for your help!

Edited by BenKell, 31 May 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#637 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:49 PM

OK - see last two videos at bottom of http://www.easy2boot.com/ if you get stuck.

#638 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:01 AM

Easy2Boot v1.42 now has the ability to use non-contiguous ISOs - i.e. no need to run WinContig every time you add a linux ISO!

You need to create a large contiguous file (\_ISO\CONTIG.ISO) first. Then any further linux ISOs that you add (not Windows Install ISOs) can be non-contiguous as long as they are not larger than CONTIG.ISO.

E2B will use dd to copy the whole ISO to CONTIG.ISO, thus making it contiguous.

The downside is that this takes time (but the grub4dos 0.4.6a USB driver seems much faster than some BIOS drivers) - e.g. for a 390MB file it takes 23 seconds on a USb stick with a 17MB/s synchronous write speed)- see my blog for more details.

I am thinking of adding a 500MB CONTIG.ISO file as standard to the next version of E2B - please let me have your feedback...

#639 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hello Steve Sir,

Greeting of the Day...............

Will following Configuration work in case of 'Removable USB Drive' ?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Partition 1 - Visible to Windows - 5 GB exFAT - Contains Win8.1 install ISO + WinNTSetup (BootIce included in tools folder).

Partition 2 - Invisible to Windows - 9.7 GB FAT32 type Active Partition; used UEFI_MULTI to copy Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim file to root, an several other ISO's to directory Images, and make the boot files and EFI folder also Grub4dos mbr and grldr and make BCD option to boot Grub4dos (E2B) + Easy2Boot Files + manually added BootIce.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think above Configuration should work in case of 'Fixed USB Drives', But don't know what will happen in case of 'Removable USB Drive' ?

So please Help me .....................

Thanks in Advance

Edited by devdevadev, 16 June 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#640 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

You would need to use the Swap ptn 2 mnu in E2B to make the 2nd partition the first one as Windows/PE will not be able to see any files on the 2nd ptn.

#641 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

You would need to use the Swap ptn 2 mnu in E2B to make the 2nd partition the first one as Windows/PE will not be able to see any files on the 2nd ptn.

I always use 'Partition Images Payload files within _ISO' directory of 'E2B'. Currently I have following configuration in my Removable USB Drive.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Partition 1 - Visible to Windows - 5 GB FAT32 - Storage Purpose

Partition 2 - Invisible to Windows - 9.7 GB FAT32 type Active Partition - Easy2Boot Files along with 'Win81.imgPTNLBAa'

and want to switch into following given Desired Configuration in order to make both 'Boot Manager' and 'Grub4dos' Menu entry on my Dual Partition Removable USB Drive to boot UEFI + BIOS directly from USB with Boot Manager Menu. So that 'Boot Manager' menu entry will boot to 'Win8.1UpdateSE x64 boot.wim' in both UEFI and BIOS mode while 'Grub4dos' menu entry will boot to 'Easy2Boot' in BIOS
mode only. i.e.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boot UEFI + BIOS with 'Win8.1UpdateSE x64 boot.wim' direct from Boot Manager Menu into RAMDISK
Boot UEFI - F12 - BIOS - Grub4dos - (Easy2Boot) +/ (Win XP/7/8 VHD - Ramdisk)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desired Configuration-
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Partition 1 - Visible to Windows - 5 GB exFAT - Contains Win8.1 install ISO + WinNTSetup (BootIce included in tools folder).

Partition 2 - Invisible to Windows - 9.7 GB FAT32 type Active Partition; used UEFI_MULTI to copy 'Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim' file to root, an several other ISO's to directory Images, and make the boot files and EFI folder also Grub4dos mbr and grldr and make BCD option to boot Grub4dos (E2B) + Easy2Boot Files (All Payload files will be .imgPTN type) + manually added BootIce.

I think above Configuration should work in case of 'Fixed USB Drives', But don't know what will happen in case of 'Removable USB Drive' ?
So please research above Desired Configuration carefully for 'Removable USB Drive' and confirm if it work for 'Removable USB Drive' ?

Note- After booting from USB with 'Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim' ,I can use portable App 'WinNTSetup_x64.exe'  to mount XP/7/8 Setup ISO ( ISO's of Partition 1 or Internal HDD) in ImDisk Virtual Drive.

Thanks for your precious Support...............

Edited by devdevadev, 16 June 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#642 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:09 AM

Hello Steve Sir................ 

First tons of thanks to all Experts for creating 'Easy2Boot', 'RMPrepUSB', 'Modified E2B', 'WinNTSetup3',
'Win8.1UpdateSE x64 boot.wim', 'UFD FORMAT.exe', 'UEFI MULTI.exe', 'Bootice.exe' etc........

I need help of all Expert in order to complete this tutorial so please help me by suggesting Step by Step Procedure............ 

This is the Desired Configuration exactly what I want for my 'Removable USB Drive'.

- Desired Configuration -
Partition 1 - Visible to Windows 5 GB exFAT/NTFS/FAT32 - Normally will used for DATA Storage Purpose + may containsWin 7/8/8.1 install ISO + WinNTSetup 3 (BootIce included in tools folder).

Partition 2 - Invisible to Windows - 9.7 GB FAT32 type Active Partition; used "UEFI_MULTI.exe" to copy 
'Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim' file to Root, an several other ISO's to directory Images, and make the Boot files and EFI folder also Grub4dos mbr and grldr and make 'BCD option to boot Grub4dos (E2B)'
Easy2Boot Files (All Payload files will be .imgPTN type) + manually added BootIce.

Is it possible ?

Actually I want to use "UEFI_MULTI.exe" on hidden 'Partition 2' (which will be invisible to windows during Booting) of my"Removable USB Drive" in order to copy 'Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim' file to root, an several other ISO's to directory Images, and make the boot files and EFI folder also Grub4dos mbr and grldr and make BCD option to boot Grub4dos(E2B) . 

Will my "Removable USB Drive" boot into UEFI + BIOS directly from USB with Boot Manager MenuSo that'Boot Manager' menu entry will boot to 'Win8.1UpdateSE x64 boot.wim' in both UEFI and BIOS mode while 'Grub4dos'menu entry will boot to 'Easy2Boot' in BIOS/UEFI (UEFI if possible).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boot UEFI + BIOS with 'Win8.1UpdateSE x64 boot.wim' direct from Boot Manager Menu into RAMDISK
Boot UEFI - F12 - BIOS - Grub4dos - (Easy2Boot) +/ (Win XP/7/8 VHD - Ramdisk) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***********************************
I think above Configuration should work in case of 'Fixed USB Drives', But don't know what will happen in case of 'Removable USB Drive' ?
     So please research above Desired Configuration carefully for 'Removable USB Drive' and confirm if it work for'Removable USB Drive' ?

If above Desired Configuration does not work for 'Removable USB Drive' , then please suggest me some other possible Configurations which my work.............

Note- After booting from USB with 'Win8.1SE_x64 boot.wim' ,I can use portable App 'WinNTSetup_x64.exe'to mount XP/7/8 Setup ISO ( ISO's of Partition 1 or Internal HDD) in ImDisk Virtual Drive.

Thanks in Advance...............

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

#643 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hello Everyone...........

Greeting of the Day.......

I want to ask a question regarding 'Removable USB Drive'...............................

The '1st Partition' of 'Removable USb Drive' is FAT32 and the '2nd Partition' is FAT32 and Active, I will use 'UFD_FORMAT' and 'UEFI_MULTI' in order to copy 'Win8.1U1SE_x64_boot.wim' into '2nd Partition' of my 'Removable USB Drive'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would UEFI see the 2nd FAT32 Partition ?

Would UEFI boot from 2nd FAT32 Partition ?.

Would 'Win8.1U1SE_x64_boot.wim' be boot within from Hidden '2nd Partition' in UEFI mode through Boot Manager menu ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note- 'Win8.1U1SE_x64_boot.wim' of size 400 MB is Universal WIM Boot Image file for booting BIOS
and UEFI computers

Thanks............

Edited by devdevadev, 20 June 2014 - 12:41 PM.

#644 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Hi steve,

I have a problem using e2b

I modified Sample_MyE2B.cfg to fit my needs. In detail, I only changed the background image and color of the boot menu:

- image with white background (800x600, graphic mode is set to 800)

- set HCOLOUR=0140

- set FCOLOUR=0120
- color normal=black/white highlight=black/red helptext=blue/black standard=black/white border=dark-grey/black

If I use my configured e2b drive (fixed hard drive with helper disk present) on systems with a "good" bios, my color scheme works properly.

But if there is an older machine with a "bad" bios (problems with some grub-commands or does not boot correctly the e2b drive), the color schemes swaps back to yellow help text and light-cyan text color in boot menu (as in your example) and it does not change back if I use a system with a "good" bios. If I want my settings back, I have to format the e2b drive and copy all necessary files again

#645 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:00 PM

That is very odd? It may be that the bad bios does not support 800 hi-colour mode?

You can see what modes are supported by booting to the E2B menu - type P and enter the password  (default=easy2boot) - then press C for the grub4os console.

The type   vbeprobe  to list all supported modes - look for an 800x600x24 mode.

If it is not supported, it is possible to select a different background automatically in the menu  (either 640x480x24 or 1024x768x24 or whatever is supported) - let me  know what modes are listed  (x24 ones) and which mode you want.

As for having to reformat - that is a complete mystery (unless you have FASTLOAD enabled or used a menu_defaul.txt file). I suggest you run WinMerge after the USb drive has gone 'bad' and compare the files on it with the extracted files from the E2B ZIP file to see what has changed.

Steve

#646 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hi steve,

I have a problem using e2b

I modified Sample_MyE2B.cfg to fit my needs. In detail, I only changed the background image and color of the boot menu:

- image with white background (800x600, graphic mode is set to 800)

- set HCOLOUR=0140

- set FCOLOUR=0120
- color normal=black/white highlight=black/red helptext=blue/black standard=black/white border=dark-grey/black

If I use my configured e2b drive (fixed hard drive with helper disk present) on systems with a "good" bios, my color scheme works properly.

But if there is an older machine with a "bad" bios (problems with some grub-commands or does not boot correctly the e2b drive), the color schemes swaps back to yellow help text and light-cyan text color in boot menu (as in your example) and it does not change back if I use a system with a "good" bios. If I want my settings back, I have to format the e2b drive and copy all necessary files again

Have you renamed 'Sample_MyE2B.cfg' to 'MyE2B.cfg' ?

:smiling9:  :smiling9:  :smiling9:  :smiling9: 

#647 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

@devdevadev : sorry, but your post is not helpful at all ... if I do not rename that file I would not have any changes ...

@steve : will have a look at your suggestions ... do I have to enable the password? Because if I use a vanilla config I get a failed message after typing the standard password

#648 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

easy2boot is the password, but maybe german keyboard has a different mapping for some keys?

in your MyE2B.cfg add
set KBD=KBD_GERMAN.g4b
then try the password of 'easy2boot'

S

P.S. Try easz2boot (y and z are swapped over on DE kbd)

#649 devdevadev

devdevadev

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 477 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

@Steve

http://www.rmprepusb...orials/win8togo

Comment from William (USA) who tried the above EFI install:

'I managed to get windows to boot using MBR with an EFI partition using the method you listed and adding the boot files to the main windows partition (marked as active) as well as the ALL command on the EFI to create a bootable flash drive for both BIOS and UEFI machines. '

Is it possible to create 'Win 8.1 to GO' using Partition images (.imgPTNLBAa) so that it boot in both BIOS and UEFI machines ?

Thanks....................

#650 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7043 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

http://www.rmprepusb...orials/win8togo

Comment from William (USA) who tried the above EFI install:

'I managed to get windows to boot using MBR with an EFI partition using the method you listed and adding the boot files to the main windows partition (marked as active) as well as the ALL command on the EFI to create a bootable flash drive for both BIOS and UEFI machines. '

Is it possible to create 'Win 8.1 to GO' using Partition images (.imgPTNLBAa) so that it boot in both BIOS and UEFI machines ?

Thanks....................

I have not tested it, but in theory yes, but I think you must UEFI boot to prepare the WinToGo image because you need to run bcdboot under a UEFI-booted environment to make it place the EFI folder and BCD folders and files on the WinToGo volume.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, multiboot, multipass, usb boot, iso

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users