#26 bblaauw

bblaauw

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Could the hosted binaries have a clear indication of what they require (i386/win2000? i686/winXP? x64/win7-64?) and what they support for the VM (i386/1MB? i586/2MB/PCI?) ?
The supported part seems to be clear, but host platform is another matter.
http://www.erikveen....emupuppy/#8.2.0 seems like a nice packaging method to reduce the number of files.

#27 neozeed

neozeed
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:retrocomputing, virtualization, OS/2, qemu, dosbox, simh
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Sure :), what I meant was another thing.
On this page there is currently a release that is called 1.0.1 already compiled:
http://lassauge.free.fr/qemu/
With this "history" note:

In which way is your release different from the above? :unsure: (meaning that IF "nothing") it makes little sense to have yet another "version in the wild" and only adds to the existing confusion on "where to get a pre-compiled" release.

Most probably it is just a case of "converging independent evolution" :), I am only trying to easen the interconnectedness of all things and avoid downloading your version if not necessary.

:cheers:
Wonko

Well the #1 big thing is reproducablity... Me being to build it as well is a 'good thing'.. That being said, the NE2000 ISA adapter is usable in my build (0x320 / int 10), I renabled the AdLib! card (you know for MS-DOS games), and I have shortcuts for control-alt-delete that makes using Qemu with NT guests usable. (Control+alt+d) and a quick reset, via Control+Alt+r.

I know it may not seem like much but for running NT 4.0 on the i386 or MIPS its a BIG big thing, the 'sendkey control+alt+delete' thing in the console gets real old real quick!

#28 bblaauw

bblaauw

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 105 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

As this topic seems to host the QEMU compile experts:

Any idea if it's possible to create a static win32/win64 build for i386+ guests where:

[1] as few as possible files are used (preferably only qemu.exe, but if needed also bios.bin/vgabios.bin)

[2] file creation can be disabled as intention is to be able to use on read-only storage medium.

[3] only short filenames are used? including the reference to the vga bios file

?

0.x series seem like a nice start except for the vga bios file exceeding 8.3 filename limits with no solution except sourcefile hacking and recompilation.

#29 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Still doesn't boot Win 7 64-bit from USB or an ISO though! :dubbio:

steve6375, when you say still doesn't boot, are you trying to do a full install from qemu? The reason I ask is because I use qemu simple boot v1 and it will boot my Windows 7x64 from USB or my Windows 7x64 ISO but haven't tried to do an "install". I just use this method to do a quick, simple, will this boot with the changes I made kinda thing.

http://www.softwarec...n-them-to-disc/

Not sure if this helps or not.

#30 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6629 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thanks, but I tried that before. I just tried again and it still does not work.

If I set it to boot an ISO file on my hard disk (Win 7 Ult x64) then it halts (not a 64bit CPU).

If I rename the qemu-system-x86_64.exe file to .xxx then qemu still runs (so it must be running the x86 version qemu.exe).

If I replace qemu.exe with the x86_64 exe and then run QEMU Simple boot it still crashes (0000005D error).

I am running on my Dell Win 7 64-bit SP1 system - what setup do you have?

#31 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

QEMU Simple boot it still crashes (0000005D error). I am running on my Dell Win 7 64-bit SP1 system - what setup do you have?

I never let mine get that far but I did try to do a complete load Win7x64 last night and I got the same blue screen you do. I usually just do a quick boot with gemu simple boot just to make sure my grldr is installed correctly and that I can see the "Windows is loading fine" screen if I am in a hurry. I usually use Virtual Box if I intend to do a test load or I do a test load from a real machine from a USB HDD that I use for nothing but test loading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users