8 replies to this topic

#1 renee

renee

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

But I'll need help. I'm Renee Culver and I was quite the OS developer and the I was hit and run by an illegal alien.

I'm not quite the woman I used to be. And the jargun here is difficult to interpret in detail at times.

I'd like to build a bootable USB of Win7 64bit SP1. I'd be happy to do the leg work.

Renee

o
  • Brito likes this

#2 greatdevourer

greatdevourer

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Welcome to the site. It took me a while to catch up as well.

Start here: http://reboot.pro/12427/

This is the Win7PE project that I have used for quite a while now and it's really good. Make sure you download the most current file at the start of the thread.
Also, check out the rest of that thread for some good tips on building your project. Good luc k and have fun with it.
  • Brito likes this

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15464 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

This is the Win7PE project that I have used for quite a while now and it's really good.

Did the OP ask about a PE or about a Windows 7 ("full" Windows 7)? :dubbio:

:cheers:
Wonko

#4 renee

renee

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:41 PM

That was one of the things I wanted to talk about.

Apparenty the several ways one can go. Winpe or Win7 seem likey to me which of course will determine what I want to down load.

Where do I find something to read on all of this? Should I go WINPE or win7?

Renee

#5 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hi Renee,

Nice places to try making your "Win7 from USB" task a done deal would be:

BOOT_USB - Make Bootable USB-Drives

OR

RMPrepUSB - Bootable USB format utility

As to working on WinPE, advanced WinPE releases are mostly used by PC enthusiasts instead of Win7 in very old PCs with weak hardware as a kind of contemporary OS replacement, with a strong drawback to require all your apps be adjusted to fit on-purpose restrictive PE format. While basic WinPE is intended for PC service only. One of the reasons for some people to work on WinPE projects is in 3rd countries old used cheap PC imports are broadly available for sale. Otherwise go with Win7, and look at using VHDs (virtual hard disks) for easier faster trying of various Win installs and greater flexibility in PC use. For example, in your task try placing a Win7 VHD to a USB Thumb and booting from it.

So, there are more ways to go than one can imagine. :)

I was quite the OS developer and the I was hit and run by an illegal alien.

Were you engaged in a (virtual) Moon Exploration project to face such creature? :dubbio:
  • Brito likes this

#6 renee

renee

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:09 AM

Thank you BUT I just found out that Cruzers don't seem to like this field so I'll have to get another USB disk :(.

"That's OK. I have a new Extreme."

"Were you engaged in a (virtual) Moon Exploration project to face such creature? :dubbio:"

I wish. I wish I could walk.

Renee

Edited by renee, 24 February 2012 - 06:14 AM.

#7 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

Hi Renee,

I've Sandisk Cruzer Blade, and it works OK when it comes to booting OS from it. In fact, I formatted it by Windows format utility, then copied a few small bootable VHDs & ISOs to it and BCD store & Grub4DOS - just made a nice spare service tool. :)

#8 renee

renee

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

Well then color me amazed.

I used rufus to generate a new system. I found that the ISO was not put where I though asfter I had to generate an ISO with Imageburn. He definitely needs an error message if you are in ISO mode, and the software finds no Iso.

The USB image would not boot the 64 bit extreme from the cruzer 32 GB USB. I wonder if I don't have a boot order problem? Since it's close to 6 AM, I am definitely going to bed. Please have a nice night (if it's night time where you are).

Does anyone have any recommendats for a good Fast USB? What Caocity is recommended?

See ya later.

#9 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

A fast Thumb may cost a lot, while a much larger and faster used 2.5" laptop hard drive in external SATA & USB enclosure may cost very little on EBay.

Rufus tool was just posted here, and never tested by local guys in-depth. Why don't you stick with tools I suggested above? In fact, better approach for Cruzer would be to format by Windows format tool. Then install Grub4DOS to it, copy your ISO to Cruzer, and add its boot menu section to Grub4DOS Menu. There are plenty of threads here to learn how. This approach is nice in that it offers freedom to use any tools & ISOs of your choice without extracting them, once you learned to use Grub4DOS. :)

P.S. Why go to sleep at 6 am? :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users