#1 gerardsweeney

gerardsweeney
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Hello, all..

I'm not sure if this would be of interest to anyone (I suspect most folk already have a script which does something similar), but..

At my work, we restore a Sysprep'd XP image via a WinPE2 boot disk and then copy across the hardware drivers for video card, nic etc..

The problem we've had is that whenever we get a new model of laptop/PC which has a different MSD from that in the XP image, we end up with a 7B BSOD.

I've put together a small AutoIt script which uses Devcon to identify the Mass Storage Device (SATA) on the Motherboard, then parse the Mass Storage driverpacks.net file and inject it to the newly restored WinXP image using PEIMG.

It's nothing overly fancy and the AU3 coding is laughable at best, but if anyone would like me to post a copy then let me know the best place to do this.

Cheers,
Gerard

#2 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Does it come with instructions or video. I'm sure someone would find it very useful.

#3 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10,197 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hello,

I'm moving this topic to the "Windows extreme" sections. Better place than the "Hello world".. :cheers:

#4 gerardsweeney

gerardsweeney
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

Essentially, you need:

DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_xxxx.7z downloaded from driverpacks.net

Un-7z ito to a folder so you end up with

DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1111DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini
DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1111D

(You can call the folder anything really, as the script uses an ini file)

A folder called Utils with the following files and structure:

Utilsdevcon.exe
UtilsPEImg
UtilsPEImgCbsCore.dll
UtilsPEImgCmiadapter.dll
UtilsPEImgCMIv2.dll
UtilsPEImgDpx.dll
UtilsPEImgdrvstore.dll
UtilsPEImgmsxml6.dll
UtilsPEImgmsxml6r.dll
UtilsPEImgpeimg.exe
UtilsPEImgSmiEngine.dll
UtilsPEImgsmipi.dll
UtilsPEImgWcp.dll
UtilsPEImgxmllite.dll

Download and un7Z http://homepage.ntlw...a/MSDInjecta.7z

to the same folder you created your DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1111 folder

Then - essentially - restore your Sysprep'd XP image, run the MassInjecta3.exe file and it should go off and do the injection.

I should stress that I've not extensively tested this - it works for the various HP and Lenovo models I ran it on, so that served my purpose :)

For anyone who downloads this, please(!) don't be too hard on me for the coding. I'm well aware it's laughably bad but if it works then I'm happy :)

#5 gerardsweeney

gerardsweeney
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Also..

The script is hard coded to our company setup where the I386 folder from the XP install disc lives in c:i386.
I daresay I could update the script to read the path from the offline registry, if anyone desperately needs that?