Photo
- - - - -

Hosting a PE to run over the internet - legal?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

They HAVE to include a WIndows XP CD as when I buy the PC I pay even for the Windows License! Don't you know that? Oh well fortunately there are the utilities that make a free image of your hardisk and create recovery disk as well. And fortunately there's WinPE that now is free so you can do some recovery tasks. @Wonko The Sane Well When my uncle bought his first PC in 2001 (Assembled) there was no Installation Disc or Recovery Partition there... Fortunately HP and Acer are giving you such cd's and in the C: directory there's a i386 folder that allows you to make a PE or an original Installation disk. I like Windows and Linux infact when my laptop was not functional I installed Ubuntu on it but unfortunately I was unable to surf the internet because I had a USB Modem :ph34r: and No printer :( after that I got an Installation CD of Windows XP but now I know what I will do the next time I buy a computer. I'll ask if there's an installation CD, a Recovery CD or a Recovery Partition; If there isn't then I will create one by myself using Mactium Reflect :lightbulb: I'm sorry I know that I'm not right but there's something about the Microsoft Eula that I don't understand: Like that rule that say that I can't give to someone a WinPE Disk made with WAIK. I Wonder If I can still give to my friend a copy of the WAIK CD that I've downloaded. I respect the maker of the program. I don't like pirated programs as well but I sometimes I need them. (like the Windows XP). I Like Windows but as far as I'm concerned it is too expansive

#102 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

From all the newly invented copyright rules, i find the one about non-redistribution the worst. Cause it basicly means, that you can't even give the book, that you just bought, away as a present.

You don't have to run Windows - no one is holding a gun to your head...

Well if noone is holding a gun to your head, than you should be fine to stop breathing. :dubbio:

I'm not a computer noob, not a gamer, i even know how to compile a program, still neither MacOS nor Linux nor BSD are an adequate replacement for a Windows, simply because the hard- and software support isn't there.

NOONE (really NOONE) is forcing you to: buy a windows OS

Well, actually they do!
One can't buy a preassembled PC without a Windows. And while you're free to not use it, you can't get any money back, if you wanted to return it.
So yes, Everyone is forcing you to buy a Windows OS.

:cheers:

#103 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

So yes, Everyone is forcing you to buy a Windows OS.

Dell don't ...
http://www.dell.com/...0~0~1791343&p=1

You can get Ubuntu Desktops and laptops from Dell (and several others too)

#104 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Instead of OSX or Ubuntu as alternatives, I would prefer to see my family folks using an Android device.

If you an opportunity, try one of these for yourselves: http://www.asus.com/...nsformer_TF101/

Feels like a real laptop, however comes with no Windows whatsoever. What I like best is the way how applications get installed. Just head out to the play store and get them running with a few clicks after reading the reviews if you wish.

Perfect if you need to explain to the other side of the phone line how to get TeamViewer working so that you can access Mom's machine.

Slowly I see Android as a simple and usable desktop operative system. Lately I get disappointed on either Ubuntu Unity/Gnome3 or Windows Metro that just keep trying to catch up with what Google is doing on Android without really getting the point: it is open source and works great.

I wish mom had Android. Would make it so much easier to install skype, teamviewer or any app she would like. This is the reason why I see Microsoft losing a grip on the monopoly, Windows became too complicated for what the base users are accustomed nowadays and too dumbified for what professional users need on their work office.

Don't really see the point in restricting PE disks from distribution on current days, just makes fan/power users disappointed.

#105 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

Ehm Nuno I actually LOVE Android but did you know that it has a BIG SECURITY BUG? You can skip the PIN code check!!! I discovered this bug when I thought: "if I reboot my mobile id does not ask for PIN then what if I reboot my mobile when it actually asks for PIN?" I rebooted my Mobile using the reboot sequence (press at the same time vol + and power button) and voilà no PIN request. :ph34r: I suggest you to enable an unlock code for your mobile. I reported this bug to the Android security team this summer but they did not answered me yet :(

#106 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Dell don't ...

Dell doesn't sell preassembled PCs!
They build one, acording to your specs, just like the guy in the computer shop next door.

@Nuno
When i want to annoy the hell out of my buddies, with their shiny new expansive smartphones, then i get my old slow shabby PDA out and challenge them, to use navigation for hours, without going broke. :lol:

Which brings me to my question. Is there really no offline navigation for Android available?

#107 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14778 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

You are obviously perfectly free :) to get all the copies of whatever you want in any which way you can.

But you also should know and acknowledge that when you breach an Eula or, conversely the Law, you are doing something that is not allowed and that the justification "I did it because they (MS, HP, whomever are a buch of bastards) is m00t".

Don't try playing Robin Hood :w00t:, we are talking of software (essentially NOT a "primary need") and particularly a software for which there are alternatives.

As you might know in the Italian Law there is a provision for the "furto lieve per bisogno" (roughly translated to "light steal for need") Art. 626, comma 2:
http://it.wikisource..._II/Titolo_XIII

That is (example) you are hungry, really hungry, have no means to get some food and steal some (the sheer quantity needed for a meal).

@Medevil
Sure, life is tough. :(

Remember, when you buy a new television, to ask for the CD/DVD of the OS, so that you can re-install it and/or modify it according to your needs.

I'm not a computer noob, not a gamer, i even know how to compile a program, still neither MacOS nor Linux nor BSD are an adequate replacement for a Windows, simply because the hard- and software support isn't there.

Good, then you pay for getting Windows and - strangely enough - depending on how much you pay you are given different Licenses, and different rights.
Ultimately you get what you pay for (as almost always in life).

@Michele

This said, is the MS EULA mostly senseless? Yes.
Is it mostly "unfair"? Yes.
Is this a good reason to ignore it? No, but even if you think it is, just §@ç#ing do whatever you see fit, without whining :ph34r: or crying for the unfairness or trying to justify your actions.

Wonko

#108 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

I would be happy to throw away Winzozz if every piece of hardware that I buy would be compatible with Linux but unfortunately this is not possible. Such printers are not compatible with Linux natively but you have to install drivers from the productor (if any) or buy a software called turbo print (if we are talking about printers) and use that. fortunately there are hundreds of Printers in the market that are supported by linux :)

#109 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

Which brings me to my question. Is there really no offline navigation for Android available?

Yes, they are starting to appear, based on the OpenStreet maps, etc. Some others just let you download the route (calculated online)...

see this...http://www.makeuseof...s-apps-android/

Scott

#110 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:25 PM

This Website hosts a WinPE bootdisk in his package. Why Microsoft did not say anything? aren't they broking the MS EULA?

http://www.boot-disk.com/

#111 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6943 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:42 PM

It is a retail product. No doubt they have paid M$ a hefty licence fee for WinPE...

#112 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

I have been a long time customer of LSoft (who make this), and it has a few tricks that made it well worth the money to recover a bad hard drive many years ago. And yes, in their docs, they clearly state that they have a license, and you can bet that if they didn't, M$ would be all over them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users