- - - - -

HideRun errors?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hello guys,
Well, I've decided to take the plunge, and build myself a live environment from the live xp download which is usually submitted by naughty Nuno, oops, fingers slipping... :) excuse me.
:)
Well, I'm no stranger really to building with winbuilder, as I've usually added, modified removed scripts but it was all under the base of amalux's project.
I've also built win7peSE project from Chris-r and seemed to have no problems.
This time I thought, why not try and build something myself.
I build, and log comes up with no errors, 32 warnings and a whole bunch of things ignored.
However, when I startup the live environment, from a USB HDD, Hiderun need to open but cannot find an association I cancel it, but have no icons on the desktop and then the process repeats again yes hiderun tries to open and asks me for a program to open it with.
What is the rookie doing wrong???
I've attached my log hoping some kind soul might help me. Please note that this log uncompressed is think 16mb compressed 377 kb I think.
The version of WB used is 082 running on windows 7 ultimate 32bit sp1, building from an unmodified source of windows xp sp3.
my log can be downloaded from:
http://www.multiupload.com/JO7XVTQFS7
Regards,

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm curious where you found a working link to download official LiveXP on this site? All links I've tried lead to Mikorists' latest domain offerings ;)

#3 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yo Amalux!
I downloaded this?
http://reboot.pro/fi...load/30-livexp/
:confused:

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hey :)

Why confused? Every link I can find, including big green Download button at top of LiveXP pages and link to archives etc. leads here:
dnxme.png

Again, where is the link in this forum you used? The archive you have is old.

#5 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

http://reboot.pro/fi...file/30-livexp/
in the download center works for me

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

I just downloaded from there and am building a PE.
I think that I can reproduce the initial question.
(And can give a solution)

Peter

#7 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hello my friends,

@homes, yep that is the same thing I'm trying to point him to download. Since I downloaded from there.
@Peter, thanks so much!
I hope that a solution shall come forth.

@amalux, Browser not giving you problmes perhaps? time to take him to the doc for a checkup.

#8 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

@amalux, Browser not giving you problmes perhaps? time to take him to the doc for a checkup.

Silly me, went here http://reboot.pro/forum/52/ not working in any browser.

Looks like others have you covered ;)

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Because I have had troubles to build the ISO with my local WinBuilder 083, I used the project proposed 080_3
Here a picture explaining TheRookie's issue:
hiderun.gif
Crazy: With which app you have to open an *.exe? :dubbio:
For me, the LiveXP version offered in the download centre, is unusable.

@TheRookie:
Maybe Amalux now comments this with "Spam Advertising", but you should try multiPE XP track.
It has the option to add apps from "third party projects".

Peter

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

Maybe Amalux now comments this with "Spam Advertising", but you should try multiPE XP track.

Just in case amalux wouldn't, I will ;).

Carpenter's comparison:
Q: How come I cannot insert a nail in a wooden plank with my hammer?
A: You have an outdated hammer :w00t:, and you really should use my screws instead.

Now, seriously:
http://reboot.pro/forum/52/
IMHO this would be the first place where a user would look, if Mikorist or some other guy would spend some of the time otherwise spent on SEO related things and fix that link/domain/whatever, it would be nice.

:cheers:
Wonko

#11 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hello to all my friends,

@amalux,
Thanks for trying to help.
@peter, Honestly I wont know at all what is in that picture, but eitherway, I'm glad that you have been able to reproduce the hiderun problem, initially I thought I was doing something wrong.
The only reason why I have not used multiPE as of yet is because, at the time, it didn't support many a script, which I were adding to the official liveXP project.

@wonko, I really laughed hard at the Q&a. honestly you're a good man!

So Peter, this hiderun thing, is it because there might be a mistake in one of the script/s?
Is it perhaps a file which got corrupted somewhere?

I don't mean to be rude at all here, but really, this hiderun thing, it can't be fixed right?

I'm just very curious to know what causes it, I've never encountered such an erro before.

#12 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Purely out of curiosity, since LiveXP is no longer officially supported; why would you want to use an official project download? Is there something missing from the known working, still supported unofficial projects?

#13 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hello Amalux,

Well, in that case, I suppose the jokes on me.

I honestly didn't know that the official version of livexp wasn't supported anymore. I mean, I'm inclined to think it still is, since:
a. It is offered as a download at the download centre?
B. Was submitted on august 2011?

If no longer supported, why have it there?
And lastly, why is it no longer supported?

#14 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Purely out of curiosity, since LiveXP is no longer officially supported; why would you want to use an official project download? Is there something missing from the known working, still supported unofficial projects?

Don't force me to post the four letter word.....:whistling:

@TheRookie
Just to let you know, automotive comparison :w00t::
http://reboot.pro/12547/page__st__19

Wonko

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:50 PM

@TheRokie
As Wonko the Sane (???) gave links to every necessary knowledge information, there is no necessarity for me to spend more time on this topic.

Peter

#16 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hey wonko,

Goodness gracious! to say that was a topic on fire would be an understatement.
But on a serious note, it was saddening
to read as I pictured reboot.pro along with all of members trying to help, guide and correct one another.

But what I can say is if Nuno still intends to keep livexp and also if Peter prefers his multiPE over anything since his the creator of WB, then at least ensure that the official livexp download will work.

I don't mean to blame anyone here, but if another user experiences an error like myself, then if you were going the xp root of creating a PE, you would have no other option left but to use multiPE.

Maybe I misunderstand,
but a question I'd like to know is:
@Peter, what made you start multiPE and not perhaps, continue with liveXP? Is it because script writers were not complying with rules for the creation of scripts?

#17 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

@Peter, what made you start multiPE and not perhaps, continue with liveXP? Is it because script writers were not complying with rules for the creation of scripts?

Part1:
Let me answer with some history: In the ICE-Age of WinBuilder we have had the "Standard" project. It used "Hardcoded" path names and registry entries. Everything has been in English.
Then I had the idea to use the source CD's definitions about these items.
I created the nativeEx project (with only some applications). The nativeEx core scripts have been used to build LiveXP.
IMO the nativeEx core reached the end of his life time. And logically this also is valid for projects depending on it.

My considerations about a new project contained:
  • This project is able to create PE1, PE2, PE3, PE? projects from EVERY source CD.
  • Also non western languages like Chinese, Korean, Japanese source CD can be used.
  • The PE generation is completelly independent from the build of the %TargetDir%.
    Whén you want to build an ISO or USB containing an additional bootable item, you just can define this additional item and rebuild the ISO / USB w/o again building the WIM etc.
  • Because a 64 bit PE in my eyes does not bring so many advantages, wich make the script's overhead reasonable, I decided to restrict to x86 source CD
The result has been multiPE.
Like in nativeEx, the applications contained in the downloadable project are only very few. But there is a tool that the user can add scripts of every existing project, provided it has some reasonable syntax and uses the 'official' API defined in the WinBuilder Help Pages.

Part2:
This made it easier for me to start development.

Peter

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Like in nativeEx, the applications contained in the downloadable project are only very few. But there is a tool that the user can add scripts of every existing project, provided it has some reasonable syntax and uses the 'official' API defined in the WinBuilder Help Pages.

Translation (if needed):
  • *any* app .script you may find around may be compatible with MultiPE or it may be not, and the common "final" user has normally no way to know in advance.
This adds a lot of spice :smiling9: to the game. (and some frustration too, in some cases :frusty:).

To continue with the automotive comparison, we now have a far better :worship: engine and a warehouse containing a bunch of UNlabeled or MISlabeled cans of fuel, no way to know if the engine will work with them nicely, or will cough, choke or right down explode until you try it. :ph34r:
Appropriate, "certified" fuel is only produced in very little amounts :(, possibly not enough to fill demand.

Wonko

#19 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi guys,
Thanks for the explanation and comparison.
Well, I believe nothing I would say might make a difference at all.
So, I have 2 options, since I'm still wishing to use an xp build of PE rather than win7
A. Use peters one, and even though I am able to import scrips from other projects, some of them do not work.
Peter, I have to give you credit for what you've done because I honestly feel you done alot with regard to progress in multiPE not only from adding NVDA and using source suggestions,but also for the organization as well as improving the speed of the build. And you do listen to suggestions with regarding to improving your project.
But my reason for using official livexp is because many a script work with them and like Wonko pointed out, there is no way what so ever knowing that a script might or might not work with multiPE.
For example, I selected to build an xP PE with your project. and added the highjack this, XFat, and base smart card scripts. I got errors whilst building however the build seem to go fine. but then I also got an error when using wimboot saying that it was not implemented for this track yet. so had to opt for the other imaging method instead which now makes my ISO about 388mb as apposed to booting with wim where it is about 200mb.
I've also added mass storage drivers using the mass storage driver script v.58 taking it from liveXP but I'm not sure if I made a mistake in adding it as when i try to boot livexp from USB hdd, it says that windows was unable to start due to a recent hardware change or something like that.
I don't mean to whine honestly speaking, but maybe you could perhaps write what works and what doesn't from offficial livexp with your project so that people know in advance whether they can use certain scripts from there?
B. Use official livexp, from where? honestly I don't know cause current one doesn't seem to be working for me.
Regards,

#20 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

@TheRookie
A carpenter may advise you to try getting some screws nails from the oven. :w00t:
Cannot tell you more :ph34r:

Wonko

#21 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

A. Use peters one...
B. Use official livexp, from where?

C. Use LiveXP from here, still updated (more or less) and 'supported' in the sense that someone will help you with issues/questions. This is the closest thing (AFAIK) to the original LiveXP; just because wb developer turned his back on it doesn't mean it's dead ;)

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

C. Use LiveXP from here, still updated (more or less) and 'supported' in the sense that someone will help you with issues/questions. This is the closest thing (AFAIK) to the original LiveXP; just because wb developer turned his back on it doesn't mean it's dead ;)

I agree to Amalux's suggestion. :1st:

Only a hint: Use WB 080!

I'm just trying to build http://205.196.123.1...rc3mtw-IEGN.rar with 083 (a 082 with some integer / long integer bugs fixed).
Because this URL is given by Amalux, I assume that this project is not very different from that one in Amalux's link.

Here (with WB 083) are some troubles in the core files.

The cache name is build as 0407XPSP3R#2 rather than 0407XPSP3R%2.

But that's not an issue of the project. It is an issue of the WB version, or an issue of my 3 - hivesFactory.Script which is used in the project.
I'm working on this.

Peter

#23 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Well hello all,

Thanks for the suggestions/advices, I did download the updated lite version of liveXP as Amalux pointed and after a few errors whilst changing this and that, managed to get xp PE all working again.

Again, thanks all, Amalux, Wonko, Peter,Homes32 I really appreciate your advices/suggestions/support.

In other news, just maybe I might try tinkering with that crappy but wonderful jaws for windows program working in LiveXP.
Well, when I've build using this new version amalux pointed me to, and tried to run the video intercept installer, (the drivers that make it possible for jaws to get access to the screen) it never gave me any error and usually wanted to reboot the pc as it does with a normal installation on a normal xp environment.
don't if the no erros this time result from me adding homes32's ms visual c++ scripts plus checking that windows installer thing.

But, but I've strayed off the topic completely, thanks everyone!

#24 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1035 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

don't if the no erros this time result from me adding homes32's ms visual c++ scripts plus checking that windows installer thing.

But, but I've strayed off the topic completely, thanks everyone!

could be.
that script was designed for vista/win7 and I did not test it with XP... VC++ 10 should work ok but VC++ 8&9 use SideBySide registry which may behave differently in XP.

#25 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Hello Homes,

I didn't even know that it wasn't ment for xp really, but when I heard aobut your script, I thought, well I'm going to try it out, I didn't get any errors from winbuilder so I presume everything went fine, and well, there you go, at least no more errors with the install of the VI drivers now just a way to try and figure out how to get the second part of the install to work.

But thanks a mill for the creation of the script.
W
ill see how other applications that use vc runtimes behave.

regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users