Photo

What is the easiest way to make a multiboot iso usb ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lassar

Lassar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Programming, computers, and electronics.
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

I am a newbie at multiboot iso usb.

Been doing some reading on making a multiboot iso usb, and it seems very complicated.
I have been trying to figure out the easiest way to make a multiboot iso usb.

I want the flash drive to be able to boot linux rescue iso, vista install iso, hirens cd to the usb.

Does grub4dos work on 64 bit PCs ? I know dos does not work on 64 bit PCs.

What is the easiest way to do it ? Can anyone explain it, so even I can understand it ?

#2 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I am a newbie at multiboot iso usb.

Been doing some reading on making a multiboot iso usb, and it seems very complicated.
I have been trying to figure out the easiest way to make a multiboot iso usb.

I want the flash drive to be able to boot linux rescue iso, vista install iso, hirens cd to the usb.

What is the easiest way to do it ? Can anyone explain it, so even I can understand it ?

Try tutorial at http://www.rmprepusb...orials/grub4dos to learn about grub4dos (you can ignore the section on GFXMenu) and then have a look at the other tutorials.

#3 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

It isn't REALLY that complicated. The issues involve mostly how the ISO you want to boot will behave, since you are emulating a "CD" using the ISO and the boot loader (grub4dos or something else). This involves using the BIOS hooks, etc. Many modern OS's (including Linux variants) switch to a "protected mode" driver, and could have trouble reading the rest of the original "image". Mayn environments provide workarounds for this, and you can also make g4d map the entire ISO to memory, and even use RAM disk drivers to then access the memory image.

As Steve said above, there are many good tutorials on his site, and they cover a lot of ground - AND are easy to follow... If all you want are a few things, then roll your own. OR look at some of the projects here (like Xboot and Sardu).

Good Luck, and feel free to come back and ask questions!

:cheers:
Scott

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

BOOT_USB.exe is a portable App that can do the work for you.

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24424

:cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users