#1 Stefanos

Stefanos
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

I'm using ImDisk as a Temp-drive for the last few months and am quite happy with it.

Last month I tried using the ImDisk drive for my pagefile unter Windows XP Professionel to protect my SSD.

I'm using these options zu create it:
imdisk.exe -a -t vm -s 768M -o rw -m t: -p "/fs:ntfs /v:TEMP /q /y"
swapadd.exe t:\pagefile.sys 2M 512M

Everything works fine, after adding the Pagefile in the systems properties (drive T: from 2 - 512 MB) the pagefile is successfully created on the ImDisk Drive and is being used.

But by not later then 24 hours after Swapadd starting, my system begins to freeze slowly, so that I need to reboot. It is verifiable caused by transfering the Pagefile to the ImDisk drive with Swapadd. After removing the Swapadd command from autostart my system runs stable again.

My system and memory settings are very stable, prime95 (a RAM and CPU burn program) runs fine without any error for hours. I had never problems with system freezes since I used Swapadd.

What could be the reason for thes freezes?

Regards,
Stefan

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 964 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

I would think that you probably get a problem with pagefile stored on a disk that resides in memory that is being swapped out to the pagefile itself, which is of course bad and will sooner or later cause a crash. Could you try with awealloc driver and see if that helps? (See FAQ for syntax examples.)

#3 Stefanos

Stefanos
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for your quick answer, I already read about the awealloc driver but didn't want to use it, because I only want to use drivers that are really needed.

Now I'm starting with this:

net start awealloc
imdisk.exe -a -s 512M -o rw -f .awealloc -m t: -p "/fs:ntfs /v:TEMP /q /y"
swapadd.exe t:pagefile.sys 2M 512M

But with the awealloc device I cannot use the ImDisk switch "-t vm" any more. Maybe this switch caused the problem?

Edited by Stefanos, 23 December 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#4 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Silver Member

• Developer
  • 964 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

For an ordinary virtual memory backed virtual disk you use "-t vm" but with awealloc you use "-t file". This is because awealloc emulates a file that ImDisk driver mounts as an image file. Because this "file" is actually not a disk file but a memory area, this works correctly as a RAM disk. But in both cases you can omit "-t vm" and "-t file" because ImDisk automatically chooses the most probable virtual disk type which in these cases would be the types you have manually specified with "-t".

#5 Stefanos

Stefanos
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

Okay thanks, I understand. Hope my system runs stable now with using awealloc and swapadd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users