#1 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:02 PM

I use latest G4D version( in time of writing) 0.4.5 beta
I have split an USB in three primary partitions (I want to use the first part as NORMAL USB drive, the others just to contain live installs)
I have copied the content of a Win7 DVD to the third partition of the USB (hd0,2)
HERE IS WHAT I DO
root (hd0,2)
ls (to verify this is the correct partition)
chainloader /bootmgr (or "chainloader (hd0,2)/bootmgr, same result)
boot

The error I get is :
error 0xc0000225

If the content of the same DVD is copied on the hd0,0, it will start without any problems.
Any suggestions how to solve this - probably better way to map it?

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Has the BCD been re-specialized? :dubbio:

What about using a boot floppy image?

http://www.multiboot....uk/floppy.html

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:17 PM

Has the BCD been re-specialized? :dubbio:

Wonko

I dont know. Is this normal and expected behavior or not?

#4 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

INSTALL AND RUN WINDOWS FROM VHD PLACED ON A USB THUMB

The easiest and best way for a novice is to use EasyBCD. It has a feature File - Select Boot Store. Install and run it from your OS on HD, point to E:bootbcd (where E: is your USB drive's 3rd volume), Open, Repair, and Add New Win7 Entry to this BCD, then Save and Exit. Reboot from the USB Drive and enjoy. :) You can also install NeoGrub with EasyBCD to your 1st USB drive partition (which is latest G4D anyway) and use the existing Menu.lst (put it in NST folder).

Also post your G54D menu section here launching Win7 (not one command).

But why would you need copying thousands of Windows files onto a USB Thumb and wearing it up, when you can install or run Windows from a single VHD file saved on the Thumb:

- create and format in NTFS two dynamic VHDs on your internal HD: Win7 Setup VHD and Win7 VHD
- copy the entire ISO content onto Win7 Setup VHD
- mount Boot.wim and Install.wim from Win7 Setup VHD's Sources folder to empty folders on HD with ImageX
- add USB Boot Registry fixes to both WIM images Registries
- apply Install.wim to Win7 VHD with ImageX (as in the end of Step 4 in that Tutorial)
- inject EWF (Enhanced Write Filter) with DISM to direct OS writing service files to RAM instead of the Thumb
- format your USB Thumb with a single partition, copy both VHDs onto it and attach
- use Easy BCD to add Win7 boot environment to the Thumb, then add 2 boot entries to its BCD: Setup Win7 from VHD and Boot Win7 From VHD
- also update BCD Store on Win7 Setup VHD (re-add Boot from WinPE entry) and add BCD Store on Win7 VHD (or follow Boot VHD on Bare Metal PC)
- add Grub4DOS to the Thumb, bootable via Win7 Boot Menu
- boot Win7 VHD from the USB Thumb to specialize OS on it
- configure EWF, switch OFF Paging and Hibernation in OS running from the Thumb, or redirect these files to internal HD
- DONE :thumbsup:

Posted Image

You can then directly boot with Win7 Bootmgr dynamic and fixed VHDs that contain OS versions supported for native boot from VHD, and with Grub4DOS only fixed VHDs with WinVBlock driver pre-installed into OS, using this or similar Menu section:

title Setup Win7 from VHD
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Win7Setup.vhd
map /Win7Setup.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

Posted Image

#5 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

I managed to do it mapping the partition to fd0
Map (hd0,2)+1 (fd0)
The process starts OK. Will report more tomorrow.

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

EasyBCD is a visual editor for the BCD.
It also has attached "Neogrub", which is NOT recommended (by me) as it is a fork from grub4dos, and usually some versions old.
You have to somehow tell the BOOTMGR where to load Windows from, and this should be in the BCD (which is the file corresponding to BOOT.INI on earlier NT based systems).
There are several GUI BCD editors, beside the command line BCDEdit, some are listed here:
http://reboot.pro/7476/

Wonko

#7 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

EasyBCD is a visual editor for the BCD.
It also has attached "Neogrub", which is NOT recommended (by me) as it is a fork from grub4dos, and usually some versions old.
You have to somehow tell the BOOTMGR where to load Windows from, and this should be in the BCD (which is the file corresponding to BOOT.INI on earlier NT based systems).
There are several GUI BCD editors, beside the command line BCDEdit, some are listed here:
http://reboot.pro/7476/

Wonko

As I said, the boot process started normally after mapping the USB partition to (fd0) not BCD error.
Nothing should be easy, though, I came to a point where Win7 setup complained that:

A required CD/DVD device driver is missing

Since the Win7 setup files are on (hd0,2) (third partition of the USB) I cannot continue since Win7 Will simply not see anything beyond my first partition of the USB ( so I cannot point to them).
I had to expect this, since Windows will not see anything beyond the first part of any USB, as far as I know.
The aim of my current exercise is to use the second+ partitions of my USB to contain the boot and installation files.
The first partition I want to use like normal USB and boot media to chainload everything beyond the first partition.
I suppose this is not possible, since win7 cannot see its installation files and I have to give up.
I suppose if I use extended partitions, I will get the same result, but I will have to try, probably.
Aaaaarghhhhh!
Anyway

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

Nothing should be easy, though, I came to a point where Win7 setup complained that:

A required CD/DVD device driver is missing

This was EXPECTED.

You are trying to go - jumping right over the "basics" - onto paths that are either unexplored or undocumented fully, what do you expect, that by sheer magic the gods of booting will help you and have your semi-random attempts work? :dubbio:

Maybe, just maybe, when you will start trying to follow the advice given, you could get further than that.

I mean, you post here to try and get some assistance or only to vent your frustrations about your setup not working? :unsure:

Wonko

#9 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

This was EXPECTED. You are trying to go - jumping right over the "basics" - onto paths that are either unexplored or undocumented fully, what do you expect, that by sheer magic the gods of booting will help you and have your semi-random attempts work? :dubbio: Maybe, just maybe, when you will start trying to follow the advice given, you could get further than that. I mean, you post here to try and get some assistance or only to vent your frustrations about your setup not working? :unsure: :cheers: Wonko

I am sorry , if I broke the ways of good practices and ,probably, good tone in the thread.
All I did is take already working methods and try something not fully tested or tried (I tend to use search before asking).
If I ask here, I ask for support.
I will do what you suggested and report if it works.

#10 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

I am sorry , if I broke the ways of good practices and ,probably, good tone in the thread.

Naaah, noo need to be sorry, you didn't "break" anything :), BUT check the "But ... then, why?" in my signature :whistling:.

Also:
http://reboot.pro/15298/page__st__9

The Common Sense Advice attached to Rules, may also give you some hints ;):
http://reboot.pro/82/

Wonko

#11 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

deckoff

Wonko is correct. You first learn to read, then try to write something about your attempts to do, what you managed to read so far in your own thread. :baby:

#12 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

deckoff

Wonko is correct. You first learn to read, then try to write something about your attempts to do, what you managed to read so far in your own thread. :baby:

I feel flamed.
I do know that your help is freely given, and everyone wishes to or not to help, but still...
I want to install win7, while the setup is located on ANY BUT THE first PARTITION of the USB.
I managed to by-pass the BCD error, mapping the partiton to (fd0)

1) DO I STILL HAVE EDIT BCD with GUI BCD editor tools in that case?

WIndows setup does not see the USB partition (hd0,2) where the setup files are located:

2) CAN THIS BE FIXED?

I will try the vhd method - but still I get a setup file on the first partition of the USB - and I dont want that
(Anyway, I will try this , cos it is still better to get one file than 1000)

If this setup is not possible, a simple - ypu are wasting your time answer will do
Thank you

#13 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

You can place the above Win Setup VHD on any NTFS partition. You don't boot WinPE as a floppy drive for no reason. Some Linux based ISO's can only boot from FAT32 partition. Windows Setup might not support booting from some USB drives, unless USB Boot is enabled. Also, it might not see all your USB drive volumes once Win Setup PE is running, if the USB drive isn't correctly formatted, or a suitable driver is missing in the Win PE.

First, you'd need to explain, what USB Drive type and model do you use, then how did you format it, and finally, why you decided to place 1000 Windows files on it. Once this is understood, other forum members will be able to help you. :)

See also: Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool

#14 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

Can you clarify a few points please?

'I have split an USB (what USB? USB HDD? USB Flash? What make, What Capacity? Is it a removable drive or a fixed drive as reported by Windows?) in three primary partitions (I want to use the first part as NORMAL USB drive, the others just to contain live installs) (how did you split it into 3 partitions and copy files to each partition under Windows?). (Why does the first partition need to be the one that does not contain the Win 7 files?)'.

#15 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

(what USB? USB HDD? USB Flash? What make, What Capacity? Is it a removable drive or a fixed drive as reported by Windows?)

SanDisk 16 GB USB flash-drive.(removable).

(how did you split it into 3 partitions and copy files to each partition under Windows?)

I used Gparted under Ubuntu 11.10 to partition the drive.

I did the copying of Win7 files to the third partition under Ubutnu 11.10.

I used

sudo /usr/bin/makebootfat -o /dev/sdb -E 255 -1 fat12.bin -2 fat16.bin -3 fat32lba.bin -m mbr.bin /home/deckoff/Desktop/FDUSB/fs-root

to install FreeDOS on the usb-flash-drive.
I use autoexec.bat >> grub.exe
(The reason to go this way is because my BIOS will not boot form USB formatted in other way)

why you decided to place 1000 Windows files on it.

I just followed a tutorial for installing Win7 with G4D:
http://windows7forum...b-pendrive.html

(Why does the first partition need to be the one that does not contain the Win 7 files?)'.

I want to use the first partititon as a USB -drive (copy some files and share them with my colleagues).
I just dont want to use the whole USB as a installation USB, but only the second and other partitions, since they are 'not seen' under Windows, so any installation file will not 'get in the way'. The reason is mostly, 'it will be good if it possible'
Thank you fir your help :)

#16 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

@deckoff
We have a tool, namely WinsetupfromUSB, that allows to have windows installed from a non-first primary partition:
http://www.msfn.org/...omusb-with-gui/
There are a couple (or more) nice Tutorials by steve6375 (linked to above) that use a different approach.

Now, the suggestion is to try using the above within their specific paradigm, observe the modifications they make, follow the basics that are illustrated in related threads.

ONCE you have grasped these basics and seen what has already been proved to be possible AND understood the theory behind these approaches, THEN you are invited to introduce modifications, do experiments, try new ideas and what not. :)

UNTIL then, while you are of course perfectly free :thumbsup: to use an infinite monkeys approach (only problem being the finite nature of your resources :w00t:), it is UNLIKELY that you will be successful in your attempts.

As well, as we have seen in this thread, it seems like you are failing to follow the NEEDED "standard litany" when trying to get help with your problem:
http://homepages.tes...ard-litany.html

I managed to by-pass the BCD error, mapping the partiton to (fd0) ....

.... and you hit a road block soon after :frusty:

1) DO I STILL HAVE EDIT BCD with GUI BCD editor tools in that case?

Who knows? :dubbio:
Noone AFAICR has attempted that way to bypass the problem. :unsure:

WIndows setup does not see the USB partition (hd0,2) where the setup files are located:

This may be due to a number of other factors (and again the Standard Litany may have been useful)

2) CAN THIS BE FIXED?

Who knows? :dubbio:
(see above)

I will try the vhd method - but still I get a setup file on the first partition of the USB - and I dont want that
(Anyway, I will try this , cos it is still better to get one file than 1000)

BTW you can also use a .iso file, see steve6375's Tutorials and this thread:
http://reboot.pro/9076/

Even if the shoulders you stand on are not those of giants ;):
http://en.wikipedia....lders_of_giants
you will anyway see further than if you stubbornly stay with your feet at ground level :whistling:.

Wonko

#17 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

Shoulders of giants... Sounds almost familiar. :smiling9:

#18 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

The links you gave were the answer I was looking for in the first place.
Let me make this clear: I am not trying to introduce "my way" or anything else.I just want to make myself a tool, and have idea how it should work.
I will happily use any tool that can provide ready solution:)

#19 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

The links you gave were the answer I was looking for in the first place.

Well, this is also already coded, you asked the "wrong" question! :w00t:
http://homepages.tes...red-banana.html

You didn't ask "How I can do this? (final goal)", you asked about completing a procedure you already started, namely a different mapping approach, and you initially got a (appropriate :unsure:) answer to the actual question you asked....

Let me make this clear: I am not trying to introduce "my way" or anything else.

Well, this is bad :( as if you do, you may be able to find way noone thought about before :).
The idea is not to prevent you from experimenting, rather to help you experiment with the "right" approach....:)

Wonko

#20 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

There are a couple (or more) nice Tutorials by steve6375 (linked to above) that use a different approach.

Cant seem to find the link?

Well, this is bad :( as if you do, you may be able to find way noone thought about before :).

If I do, will will share ;) but I lack the background at the moment - I am old enough and studied enough ( I am a dentist ) to know that nothing good comes that easy :)

#21 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

One Q if you boot to WinPE (say from a Win 7 install DVD) and insert your triple-partition USB flash drive, can you see just one ptn or all 3?

2nd Q - have you tried modifying the grub4dos menu entry for the win 7 install so that the win7 ptn is made the active ptn before loading WinPE using makeactive (hd0,2)?

#22 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

link - http://www.rmprepusb...ials/firawiniso
plus one or two more tutorials on the same site (there was a clue in my post 'footer' signature... :dubbio:

#23 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Cant seem to find the link?

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/120444-how-to-install-windows-from-usb-winsetupfromusb-with-gui/

- Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista/7/Server 2008 setup in another partition. It can be placed in any primary partition. If looking for several Vista/Server 2008/7 sources in the same partition have a look here or if just for 7 or Vista here. The first ling would require you manually to put everything to the USB disk, if using the second you can point the program to the prepared AOI source.

The here corresponds to:
http://sites.google....and-server-2008
that is a tutorial AND that contains a link to he newer #43:
http://sites.google....ials/firawiniso
that will lead you where steve6375 just posted ;):
http://www.rmprepusb...ials/firawiniso

Wonko

#24 deckoff

deckoff

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

One Q if you boot to WinPE (say from a Win 7 install DVD) and insert your triple-partition USB flash drive, can you see just one ptn or all 3?

No, only the first partition is seen. All others are not seen

2nd Q - have you tried modifying the grub4dos menu entry for the win 7 install so that the win7 ptn is made the active ptn before loading WinPE using makeactive (hd0,2)?

No, I have bot tried it. I will now.

#25 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

If only 1st ptn can be seen, what happens if you run DISKPART under WinPE and List the ptns - maybe you could assign a drive letter to the partitions using diskpart? If you can and Windows Setup can now see the ptn, then we have a way of making it work by using tutorial #43 but modifying the loadiso.cmd file so that it first runs a diskpart script to assign a drive letter to the 'hidden' partition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users