Photo
- - - - -

How to make works Windows 7 on another computer editing the registry in offline mode

windows 7 boot registry offline

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Computers,movies,read/write,talking about philosophy and religion.
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:44 PM

Hello to everyone.

The computer that I use mostly is broken. On it there was installed Windows 7. Now I'm trying to make work that installation of Windows 7 on another computer. If someone remembers well the procedure to follow,that has been invented on 2009 by karyonix and other members of this forum,it is about to :

a) copy two files on the disk where windows 7 is installed,exactly on windowssystem32 The first is called usbbootwatcher.conf and this is the content :

[usbstor]

Start@REG_DWORD=0

Group@REG_SZ="SCSI miniport"

[usbehci]

Start@REG_DWORD=0

Group@REG_SZ="Boot Bus Extender"

[usbohci]

Start@REG_DWORD=0

[usbuhci]

Start@REG_DWORD=0

[usbhub]

Start@REG_DWORD=0

Group@REG_SZ="System Bus Extender"

the second is called usbbootwatcher.exe

b) write this code inside the registry :

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetservicesUsbBootWatcherService]

"Type"=dword:00000010

"Start"=dword:00000002

"ErrorControl"=dword:00000000

"ImagePath"=hex(2):25,53,79,73,74,65,6d,52,6f,6f,74,25,5c,73,79,73,74,65,6d,33,

32,5c,55,73,62,42,6f,6f,74,57,61,74,63,68,65,72,2e,65,78,65,00

"DisplayName"="Usb Boot Watcher Service"

"ObjectName"="LocalSystem"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlSafeBootMinimalUsbBootWatcherService]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlSafeBootNetworkUsbBootWatcherService]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetservicespciide]

"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetservicesintelide]

"Start"=dword:00000000

I followed this procedure a lot of times,but always while Windows 7 was running. And it worked fine. Now I would like to do it editing the registry in offline mode,because,as I said my primarily computer does not turn on. For who doesn't know how to edit the registry in offline mode,this is a good article to read : http://4sysops.com/a...gistry-editor/. The problem is that when I try to edit the registry offline, normally there is no CurrentControlset key active,so I can't add that code. If I write it from scratch it does not work anyway. In fact when I try to boot Windows 7,it says : REG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED..

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Marietto,
CurrentControlSet DOES NOT exist offline.
When online it is a link to either ControlSet001 or ControlSet002 or more generally to ControlSetxyz

You can use erwan.l's little app that will do automatically the remapping (or check manually contents of the Select key and change the paths accordingly):
http://reboot.pro/11312/

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 Marietto

Marietto

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Computers,movies,read/write,talking about philosophy and religion.
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

ok. following your advice,I've found that the ControlSet used in my case is the 002. I've followed two ways to find it :

1) i've executed the cdob script :

rem detect CurrentControlSet

for /f "tokens=3"; %%a in ('reg.exe query "HKLMsysSelect" /v "Current"'); do set /a ControlSet=%%a

set ControlSet=00000%ControlSet%

set ControlSet=ControlSet%ControlSet:~-3%

echo. &echo ControlSet "%ControlSet%" used.

and I've checked manually the HKLMsysselect key of the imported system registry. It says : current = 2 ; default = 2 ; failed = 1 ; lastknowngood = 3 ;

after this,I've merged the reg script inside the ControlSet002 reg key and I've rebooted the computer,but Windows 7 was unabled to make the boot again.

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

Well, you probably have made something "wrong" :ph34r: or more probably that Windows 7 suffers from *another* problem.

You can try the "other" approach for 7, though cannot say whether it will work:
http://reboot.pro/98...403#entry140403

Or even see if PWboot can work in your situation. :unsure:
http://reboot.pro/6851/

:cheers:
Wonko

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 7, boot, registry, offline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users