#1 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Hi guys. I'd like to run an application at the boot up of Windows Recovery Envirment. Anybody knows How can I do that?

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

Can you be more specific on which "recovery" environment... and are you trying to run before it starts doing the "normal" stuff or ??? i.e. give us a bit more of what you are really trying to accomplish, and not how you think it should be done. I have seen this group come up with out of the box ways to solve the issues when they know the intent...

Scott

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

@sbaeder
WINRE is not very "non-specific", it is (specifically) WINRE ;):
http://en.wikipedia....ery_Environment
(though cannot say if we are talking of this :ph34r:)

@Michele13
AFAIK/AFAICR it is anyway a form of PE 2.x or 3.x so WINPESHL.INI could be a possibility. :unsure:
http://reboot.pro/13716/
OT, but not much ;):
http://reboot.pro/12107/page__st__19

:cheers:
Wonko

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

@Wonko...Even the wikipedia says it can be "WinRE may be installed and/or booted from many media", and that it is "a set of tools"... Yes, it probably is related to a 2.x or 3.x based PE...There are options to include them into things like the WIN7PE_SE project when it is built, so your comments about the WINPESHL.INI are probably right...

But rather than assume, I asked for clarity - not just on the manner of the bootable "environment" (since it might be "booted" in different ways - like from a recovery ISO image or an install disk, etc. But, what I was after was to understand what really is wanted to be accomplished (the purpose behind running something when it "boots"), since it might have other ways it could be solved...

#5 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Well now I will explain what I want to do:

I Created a LiveCD using WinPE a lot of time ago and I used the file startnet.cmd to run bbLean as shell after wpeinit loads. Now I don't know how to do that in WinRe because this Recovery Envirment does not load this file when system starts. I'd like to use WinRE because I can select a different keyboard when I boot up the system. WinPE has not a keyboard layout changer by default so I cannot use it in all computers but only in that computers that uses an italian keyboard. I tried to place an autoexec.bat file in X:\Windows; I tried to edit the registry with Registry Editor PE adding a new string in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run but it does not work...

#6 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Well, autoexec.bat was never executed on NT systems, in a "normal" NT system there is autoexec.nt. ;)

As said, try WINPESHL.INI.
Relevant links already given.

To avoid confusions/misunderstandings, we have a convention:
  • PE 1.x *any* PE built from Windows XP or Server 2003 sources
  • PE 2.x *any* PE built from Vista :ph34r: or server 2008 R1 sources
  • PE 3.x *any* PE built from 7 or Server 2008 R2 sources
please always specify of WHICH of the above you are talking about if not evident form something else (like, as an example, a BartPE is always a PE 1.x, VistaPE is a PE 2.x, Win7PE is a PE 3.x)

As a side note, if your problem is "I cannot use my WinPE because it has not a keyboard layout changer", you could ask about the problem you have (as opposed to the way you devised to workaround it), which may have a direct solution:
http://reboot.pro/10671/
(though I cannot say if applicable to your case)

@sbaeder
If you wish to ignore what is written on the given page (or think that Wikipedia is not a reliable source - which is something that may happen) it's allright. :)
BUT:

Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) is a set of tools included in the Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems to help diagnose and recover from serious errors which may be preventing Windows from booting successfully. WinRE may be installed and/or booted from many media including hard disks (Hidden NTFS partition type 0x27), optical media (such as an operating system installation disc) and PXE (e.g. Windows Deployment Services). WinRE is based on WinPE 2.0.[1]

The [1] links to MSDN (they should know what they are talking about):
http://blogs.msdn.co.../18/760295.aspx

So what is Windows RE?

Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) is a recovery platform based on Windows Preinstallation Environment (Windows PE). Windows RE provides two main functionalities:

1. Automatic diagnosis and repair of boot problems using a tool called Startup Repair.

2. A centralized platform for advanced recovery tools.

We will explain more about these two functions in upcoming posts.

Windows RE is new for Windows Vista and completely replaces the recovery console in Windows XP. You should be able to perform most tasks of recovery console from Windows RE.

As said, you may also not be sure whether OP was actually talking of this, but there is NO way to be more specific (if not by sèpecifying if the WINRE was created from a Vista :ph34r: - please read as PE 2.x - or from a 7 - please read as PE 3.x - source, BTW a piece of info we don't actually have but that should be not relevant to the specific issue).

:cheers:
Wonko

#7 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Well, autoexec.bat was never executed on NT systems, in a "normal" NT system there is autoexec.nt. ../public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png

As said, try WINPESHL.INI.
Relevant links already given.

To avoid confusions/misunderstandings, we have a convention:

• PE 1.x *any* PE built from Windows XP or Server 2003 sources
  • PE 2.x *any* PE built from Vista ../public/style_emoticons/default/scared9.gif or server 2008 R1 sources
  • PE 3.x *any* PE built from 7 or Server 2008 R2 sources
please always specify of WHICH of the above you are talking about if not evident form something else (like, as an example, a BartPE is always a PE 1.x, VistaPE is a PE 2.x, Win7PE is a PE 3.x)

As a side note, if your problem is "I cannot use my WinPE because it has not a keyboard layout changer", you could ask about the problem you have (as opposed to the way you devised to workaround it), which may have a direct solution:
http://reboot.pro/10671/
(though I cannot say if applicable to your case)

@sbaeder
If you wish to ignore what is written on the given page (or think that Wikipedia is not a reliable source - which is something that may happen) it's allright. ../public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png
BUT:

The [1] links to MSDN (they should know what they are talking about):
http://blogs.msdn.co.../18/760295.aspx

As said, you may also not be sure whether OP was actually talking of this, but there is NO way to be more specific (if not by sèpecifying if the WINRE was created from a Vista ../public/style_emoticons/default/scared9.gif - please read as PE 2.x - or from a 7 - please read as PE 3.x - source, BTW a piece of info we don't actually have but that should be not relevant to the specific issue).

../public/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif
Wonko

This WinRE was built usign A tool in Windows 7 that can be found under Start-->All Programs-->Maintenance so that means that I use a WinPE 3.0 based Disk

I Decided to use WinRE because with that I would be Able to Select my favourite Keyboard Layout but now thanks to you (Wonko and the others) I can use a simple WinPE disk built with WAIK :) Thanks a lot! I've added Keyboard Layout Changer in the Downloads Section and I hope that it will be usefoul for all :)

../public/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif

Michele13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users