4 replies to this topic

#1 Cristi®

Cristi®
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

Does anybody can tell me if windows xp recognize the l3 cache of the Cpu, because i think that windows xp don't recognize the l3 cache, and work only with l1 and l2 cache, is this true or not?

I have a system with windows xp installed, and the cpu is Amd Phenom II x6 quad at 3.4 Ghz with l2 cache: 256kb and L3 cache:6mb, but if i open several instances of internet explorer, and a hd application for streaming with webcam, the cpu usage is about 80% and sometimes it's stucks, and i don't know why it's used so much, i guess that the problem is because i running windows xp instead of 7 or vista, but i have some programs that don't work on windows7 only in xp.

sry for my bad english, if somebody can answer me i'm glad

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2,813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:20 AM

If you open registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory Management

Do you see ThirdLevelDataCache ?

Honestly, I don't know, do you?

#3 Cristi®

Cristi®
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Romania

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

no the string doesn't exist on xp, in windows seven this string is present?

#4 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2,813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

I Don't have access to a machine with an L3 cache but I'll check next time I do. My guess is that this is handled at the hardware level but whether the OS has a say in memory allocation at that level, I don't know. Interesting article: http://docs.google.c...czLUwDDV1C2gp-Q

#5 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1,281 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

Typically the handling of the cache on the chip is handled by the hardware - of course, other caching can be implemented by the OS too.

Try something like cpuid's cpu-z to look at the CPU information. It has a cache tab that will show you the cache information. Since it is a windows program, if it shows up the "L3 cache", then windows CAN see it.

The bigger question here is WHY are you asking? Getting "stuck" as you said doesn't have much to do with the cache and how many levels there are, etc. Also, just because you have three levels of cache, that may not help per se...

For example, you said "several instances of IE" - is that several windows running off of a single EXE - or is it really several separate processes, each running their own copy of the executable? What type of processing is going on - possibly in the background. If there are several copies of the program, each in it's own process space, they more than likely wouldn't "share" things in the cache...Finally, what is processing the "HD Video"? If it is the CPU, could very well cause 80% - it is a lot of data and bits per second to process...remember the cache is for instructions and data...

SO, yes, XP isn't as "efficient" in some areas, but I don't think this is a cache issue...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users