PXE chaining to Linux PXE Server from WDS

wds pxe linux pxechain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DurgaDas

DurgaDas
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, table tennis, computers (obviously), coaching sports, cycling, Vedanta, philosophy, lifecoaching
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hi. I am in a huge company that is utterly Microsoft-based for literally EVERYTHING. I have a group of machines spread across our enterprise that have been allocated to us for Linux machines for software development. I read this: http://www.vcritical...vers/#more-3715 which led me to believe that I could have the WDS server that is also the DHCP server (neither of which is under my direct control) "hand-off" PXE booting of Linux to my Linux server I've set up for this purpose.

I have no access to the DHCP configuration, although I could request something specific if I knew what it was; and I pretty much want to ensure I'm not having to go through the IT dept each time I need to change my Linux PXE booting server, put in a new image, etc.

To this end, we've set up a test environment that has the WDS/DHCP server running on it, and set up that WDS menuing exactly like they mention in the linked article. My problem is that 1) I've never configured a PXE server before, 2) I'm not sure what step is next on my end, 3) I get an error message that says: “pxechain:PXENV_RESTART_TFTP [0001]” (what does that mean anyways?) and 4) I've already configured the Linux server side to do PXE booting according to my knowledge.

I just want to know that what this article is mentioning will work, and what to do afterwards, so I can see some progress.

I am happy to use dnsmasq or iPXE or gPXE or whatever it takes to get this done. Here it alludes to being able to do this hand-off also, but gives no details:
http://serverfault.c...t-to-wds-server

#2 DurgaDas

DurgaDas
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, table tennis, computers (obviously), coaching sports, cycling, Vedanta, philosophy, lifecoaching
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

Let me put it another way. I'm willing to pay $50 over PayPal to the person who contacts me about this and is willing to work with me on how I configure this thing to work, in my special situation, answering all my questions until it's done. Email: bikecoach@mac.com.

Let the games begin!

#3 llaub01

llaub01
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

I've got exactly what you're looking to do setup. I am using a PXELINUX menu to boot floppy images for diagnostics and system updates and WDS for Windows images. I'm currently not doing any Linux installs but use this tutorial to get it all laid out.
http://www.ohjeah.ne...-linux-via-wds/

Essentially you'll need access to the DHCP and WDS server to reconfigure what WDS boots to. You tell it to boot to a SYSLINUX/PXELINUX menu which will let you boot your linux installs and you can add the option within this menu to boot to your existing WDS. It sounds like you want to boot from a separate server which i don't think is possible (someone else may be able to shine some light on this if it is possible via a separate FTP server). Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do what I can to help.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wds pxe, linux, pxechain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users