SIRI, who's your daddy?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'm not an iphone fan, but the new one actually brought up something neat.

Look at the video:

• RoyM likes this

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

I might be wrong, but that doesn't seem to be a build in feature, but an online service. Is it?

:cheers:

#3 RoyM

RoyM

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 357 posts
  • Interests:Component level repair, Micro-processor based equipment. Computer Repair + Custom Builds.
    (ie. Game Machines, Custom Firewalls\Smoothwalls)
    Network Penetration and testing, Including Wireless.
    Fishing, Hunting, Camping, Gaming.
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Very Impressive

@MedEvil, That is part of the built-in voice recognition app, Did you notice how accurate it was.

Does anyone know if it has to be trained for your voice, or does it work out-of-box like that.

#4 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

SIRI only seems to go online if deemed necessary by the processor.

I see that the Apple guys got far worse than MS nowadays. They bought the SIRI company, immediately stopped any support for other platforms and now removed the tool from the app store to ensure that only new phones have it available.

http://en.wikipedia....Siri_(software)

No strong point to convince getting an iphone 4s unless it has a selling factor like this app. In true honesty I wouldn't mind buying SIRI for use on everyday tasks. Can imagine how even more relevant it becomes for impaired vision users.

#5 TheRookie

TheRookie

• Advanced user
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:computers: (repairing, administration), reading: (technological info), outing: (having a good time), music (electronic, house, instrumental...) and hiking
  •  
    South Africa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

I do think Siri is an application that needs to go online for most of its job. as I've just read on how to fix if siri is unable to connect to the servers.

If you have android you can try a similar application called speaktoit.

There's a video on speaktoit, posted on youtube. I heard it a few days ago, will try and find the link.

Sorry for supposedly highjacking this thread which I didn't mean to do so. But you know there's always a droid trying to stay healthy when we hear about apples!
after all, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.
:)

Regards,

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

If anyone cares, the voice recognition used by Siri, is the one from Dragon Dictate.

#7 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:43 PM

What's interesting in this story apart from SIRI itself, it was launched into public life by.... yes... Apple. That sounds familiar though... SIRI looks like a promising and really nice direction where all gadgets will rush quite soon.

Not surprised, they removed it from the store: want to prove, the ship won't sink soon after... And the best prove for shareholders: new iPhone sales numbers. :)

#8 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Usable voice recognition for PC is around for more than a decade.
Still i can't see anyone using it, without being forced to.

It's a nice gag for a couple of minutes, then it starts to get annoying, simply because it is way slower than point and click and even typing.

#9 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10,160 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

I tried SIRI today. It was fun.

Was disappointed that it went online for most of my talk. The network was slow and took quite a while to get a conversation going.. :cheers:

#10 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

It's a nice gag for a couple of minutes, then it starts to get annoying, simply because it is way slower than point and click and even typing.

I have to agree and disagree. :) For a PC it might be overkill now, even without network delays. But for gadgets (think GPS Navigator, various emergency devices, military...) this is simply ideal solution. For youth its a major force behind $500+ investment every 2 years in such gadgets - and that brings huge revenue to the industry due to domino effect, thus facilitating further R&D.

The reason it rushes to the web at this stage so often - limited progress in artificial intelligent portable package wise, plus of course reliance on web services (maps, weather, etc.). Voice recognition and generation is just a small part of it. One needs a major Cloud (I don't think its run by Apple though) to drive this staff, and massive user feedback will be so significant to develop smarter algorithms faster based on user query stats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users