[noob] where to start?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gerben Tiele

Gerben Tiele
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'm interested in Syslinux to create my own bootable usb stick with images etc. Now I want to start experimenting but I'm unable to find a good tutorial to get me started. Also the website syslinux.org is down.

I'm working from a windows view. I downloaded syslinux and installed it to the usb drive. Now I need to make a configuration file and I'm not sure where to start. A push in the right direction would be much appreciated.

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 08 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yes, due to the hack of kernel.org (where syslinux was hosted) it is off-line at the moment. I believe in another post, someone posted a link to a mirror.

If you are trying to make a boot loader that can allow you to choose from different ISO's on your flash drive, then syslinux may not be your best choice. Browse around a read a lot o0f the posts here on the whole issues of boot loaders, BIOS, EFI, how protected drivers map to the memory image (not too well), etc.

It is very good at being a boot loader for a system (and maybe a few different items unpacked onto a flash. Some good examples that use syslinux (so you can see and play with some cfg files are UBCD and partedMagic

#3 Gerben Tiele

Gerben Tiele
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

I got most things working by now. I can boot multiple linux distro's. Now the next challenge is installing multiple windows installations. I'm afraid they will need to go in different partitions.

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

Good to hear progress is being made...One approach is to have differe .WIM files, and let syslinux pass off to the windows loader that uses the BCD. Another is to have modified windows loaders...One good place to look is on the RMPrepUSB site - whilke a lot is more "GRUB"-ish oriented (grub4dos), it has applicable information that can be leveraged.

GOOD LUCK
:cheers:
Scott

#5 Gerben Tiele

Gerben Tiele
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hi, I'm trying to get your solution to work. Using different WIM files that is. I know I would need bcdedit to add boot entries, but they only point to the boot.wim. How do I tell it to use a different install.wim?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users