win7pe vistape multiboot pe3 livecd pe2 pe1

• Please log in to reply
595 replies to this topic

#176 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

That does not make much sence.
E.g. With source CD below Win7 SP1 and WAIK 6.0.6001.18000 it takes only some seconds to mount the WIMs.

Why then wait 20 minutes for the first extract and use 15 GigaByte of disk space?
On every build you just save the some seconds mount time.

Additionally Win8 cannot (yet) be extracted by 7z.

Peter

#177 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14789 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

Wouldn't it be possible to get rid of the WIM driver once for all on this project?

Waiter come taste this soup .....
;)

Not really a "new" idea :whistling::
http://reboot.pro/5308/
unfortunately booty#1 is seemingly MIA :( and noone of the "programmers" have had the time or any of the "self proclaimed programmers" seemingly took the challenge. :frusty:

:cheers:
Wonko

#178 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

A new version 18 is released.

Mainly there is a new structure showing the three parts
  • Core
  • Custom Apps and Drivers
  • PEFactory
Some words to PEFactory:
Nuno suggested to name the third part 'Finish'.
That does not fit the reality:
Other projects "Finish a build". Certain modifications can only be made by a rebuild.

multiPE works different:

The Core and Apps parts prepare / produce some material.

In the factory, based on this material, different products can be made, w/o necessarity to rebuild / change the material.
Magically the material does not become less by building something ...

E.g. in the factory is decided,
  • which media ISO / UFD is produced
  • whether you boot from RAM / WIM or copy the files directly to the media
  • whether there is a single boot or a multi boot media (on multi boot media "BootFromCD" apps are contained only once)
After building e.g. an UFD, you can just define "Now build an ISO" and click "Process" to build the ISO.

Peter

#179 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Version 20 is uploaded.

The multiboot build can now add PMagic ISO's of latest release (previously only up to 6.7) to the final media.

If you are curious about the issues, see the PMagic forum http://forums.parted...php?f=10&t=1879

Peter

#180 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

Version 21 is uploaded.

Besides the already processed sources XP, Vista, Win7 It now can process also Win8 souces.

The PE boots, but there are still several issues.

How-To:
Download the latest Win8 preview.
Extract the ISO to <mywin8>
Download the latest multiPE project, unzip, and open in WinBuilder
Define <myWin8> as source in the multiPE project
Click the blue "Play" button.

Peter
  • Nuno Brito likes this

#181 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1030 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

The PE boots, but there are still several issues.

care to elaborate?

#182 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Yes, Sir! :cheers:

There are so many issues to be solved, that it is impossible for me as single person to do in a reasonable time.

IMO this should be a community fight against Billy's new challenges.

Peter

#183 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10544 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:18 PM

Some words to PEFactory:
Nuno suggested to name the third part 'Finish'.
That does not fit the reality:
Other projects "Finish a build". Certain modifications can only be made by a rebuild.

multiPE works different:

The Core and Apps parts prepare / produce some material.

In the factory, based on this material, different products can be made, w/o necessarity to rebuild / change the material.
Magically the material does not become less by building something ...

E.g. in the factory is decided,

• which media ISO / UFD is produced
  • whether you boot from RAM / WIM or copy the files directly to the media
  • whether there is a single boot or a multi boot media (on multi boot media "BootFromCD" apps are contained only once)
After building e.g. an UFD, you can just define "Now build an ISO" and click "Process" to build the ISO.

Peter

Hi Peter, congratulations on Win8 support.

As for PEfactory, do you remember when I mentioned that people enjoy quite a lot to understand on a quick glance how things work?

On this case, would you find a more intuitive description than "finish" for end users?

I would have no doubts in adopting the "finish" designation to describe the final part of a project in a simple manner. This is particularly important when you are explaining to others how to create the final ISO image. Otherwise there is a sense of feeling lost, not really knowing where to start, or in this case, where to finish.

It just makes your project harmonious and elegant. My apologies as I care a lot about the presentation details and wouldn't insist unless I didn't saw it as a good benefit for the future of end-users.

#184 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Version 22 is uploaded.
Now the cursor is visible in Win8 PE, and run on VirtualBox under Win8 PE / VT-X is detected correctly.

Peter

#185 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

Where to, is version 22 uploaded? in the download center i still find version 21.

#186 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Tested the version that was available, because i was looking for a Win7 based PE which would not do everything at boot time.
Unfortunately Multi PE is no option as replacement for my needs.

A few things you might want to consider for your next release:
- Don't remove Display settings or if you do, include another tool to change display resolution.
(It's terrible to have to rebuild the PE, just to make it display ok!)
- Include a way to install drivers from a user defined folder and best, also from Host.
- I know you're going for minimal, but has it to be that ugly greyish taskbar?
- Don't install software to the users computer (VirtualBox), without asking the user first!
This goes double, when another VM is already installed!!!
- Explain somewhere what NVDA is. The button is big enough to write it out, btw.
- If you include in your list of supported VM the payware VMWare, why don't you include the freeware VirtualPC?

#187 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

PS: Include a way to unmount wim manually after reboot that MultiPE couldn't unmount the first time round!

USB-Audio not working in default build, second build not possible since MultiPE will not unmount the install wim from last build,
but will also not run again with the already mounted wim. This is a bug.

I HATE THIS FUCKING BOARD SOFTWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not enough that i constantly hve to delete tags when i quote or edit posts. Now it deletes whole passages of my post, just because it doesn't like the use of the 'bigger than' sign.
And it does it too within code tags! :real_mad:

Do me someone a favor and REBOOT THIS PROFESSIONALY!

#188 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

Found two problems with MultiPE.
- It does not detect or at least show USB-Sticks which ave been inserted after MultiPE has booted up.
- USB Audio is also not working, when the headphones are connected before the computer is started.

#189 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I was unable to install and use drivers for my sound - and graphics card.

The graphics card issue was also known to Win7PE_SE.
It comes from Win7 not allowing to change the graphics card driver without reboot. The solution was, to not properly install the default graphics card driver.

#190 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Found two problems with MultiPE.
- It does not detect or at least show USB-Sticks which ave been inserted after MultiPE has booted up.
- USB Audio is also not working, when the headphones are connected before the computer is started.

This is the "easyest" post of your last ones.

Therefore a quick answer:
Detection of 'USB pluged in' is currently not intended. Unless there is a technical reason to detect it, I'll not work on this. You remember that multiPE claims to '...(simply and easy)'

USB audio / headphones is not intended to be common part of my project. It is ONLY activated for NVDA. And here headphones work when they are connected during boot.
Generally audio support is only provided with NVDA. And NVDA is only provided with XP sources.

@Medevil: You are a smart Developer. When you supply some scripts fullfilling your requirements (and they pass my tests), I'll add them in the "complete" download category

Peter

#191 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I was unable to install and use drivers for my sound - and graphics card.

The graphics card issue was also known to Win7PE_SE.
It comes from Win7 not allowing to change the graphics card driver without reboot. The solution was, to not properly install the default graphics card driver.

Quick and dirty decided: When it is an issue in multiPE and ALSO an issue in Win7pe_se, MAYBE it is caused by an issue of your 'add driver' method. :dubbio:

Peter

#192 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14789 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:54 PM

If I may, "simple and easy" is not necessarily a synonym of "missing basic needed features".

A typical PE use is (at least here):
  • boot from one USB device
  • copy (save/backup) one (or more) files(s) from the internal disk to the SAME USB device OR to another USB device (that you cannot connect before booting since the BIOS wouldn't otherwise boot form the "right" one or boot at all)
  • replace (restore) one (or more) files(s) to the internal disk from the SAME USB device OR from another USB device (that you cannot connect before booting since the BIOS wouldn't otherwise boot form the "right" one or boot at all)
IF the MultiPE does not allow the above, it is not "simple and easy" it is (IMHO) pretty much unuseful. :ph34r:

Wonko

#193 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

If I may, "simple and easy" is not necessarily a synonym of "missing basic needed features".

A typical PE use is (at least here):

• boot from one USB device
  • copy (save/backup) one (or more) files(s) from the internal disk to the SAME USB device OR to another USB device (that you cannot connect before booting since the BIOS wouldn't otherwise boot form the "right" one or boot at all)
  • replace (restore) one (or more) files(s) to the internal disk from the SAME USB device OR from another USB device (that you cannot connect before booting since the BIOS wouldn't otherwise boot form the "right" one or boot at all)
IF the MultiPE does not allow the above, it is not "simple and easy" it is (IMHO) pretty much unuseful. :ph34r:

Wonko

When I created the project, my understand of "simply and easy" was built from the experience of more than 30 years of professional development.
Before Wonko gives us some links to really used "simply and easy" projects he developed, his comments are not acceptable here.
(Links to some CMD batches are not accepted. They are NEVER simply to be understood) :cheers:

BTW: You seem to have forgotten my GENERAL INTENTION: I do not want do build an OS clone, I want to offer a well working rescue solution.

Peter

#194 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14789 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

When I created the project, my understand of "simply and easy" was built from the experience of more than 30 years of professional development.
Before Wonko gives us some links to really used "simply and easy" projects he developed, his comments are not acceptable here.
(Links to some CMD batches are not accepted. They are NEVER simply to be understood) :cheers:

Peter

Well, you may accept (or even like) my comments or not, but they remain acceptable, until they break any Board Rule, and the above ones don't, and no matter how many projects I have developed (or completely failed to develop) and no matter whether they were/are or will be (if any) "simple and easy".

You quicky managed to put together three fallacious argument in a single post, this must be a board record :w00t:.
http://www.don-linds...s.html#sequitur
http://www.don-linds...nts.html#expert
http://www.don-linds...ts.html#hominem

Please PM me IF and WHEN, you will be available again to talking.

Wonko

#195 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Detection of "USB pluged in" is currently not intended. Unless there is a technical reason to detect it,

How about connecting a drive to do a backup? Would that count as reason? ;)

USB audio / headphones is not intended to be common part of my project.

Sorry, misunderstood your post there. Thought you meant USB-Audio support for all MultiPE flavours.

@Medevil: You are a smart Developer. When you supply some scripts fullfilling your requirements (and they pass my tests), I'll add them in the "complete" download category

Thanks, but in the moment, i wouldn't even know how to. I couldn't make heads or tails out of your project yesterday. It works too differently from any other.

As for your little 'discussion' with Wonko.
I'm probably the worst person to give an opinion on a pure rescue PE. I like comfort! ;)
But i would call the ability to add an USB-Storage device after boot 'Basic', just as an easy way to switch resolutions.

#196 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

A new version 23 is uploaded.

A bug is fixed due to unmounting a WIM with WimCaptEx.

The "Portable Apps" mechanism is added.

More about that mechanism you can find here.

Peter :cheers:

#197 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4164 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

Thanks!

#198 poiuz

poiuz
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Using winBuilder 082 with added download server http://nativeex.exec...rojects/multiPE resulted in 404 NOT FOUND errors for all scripts with a space character (ASCII 0x20) in the URI.
For example first error occurs for http://nativeex.exec...eBuildEx.script

Furthermore downloading manually from http://nativeex.exec...rojects/multiPE is also not possible since the URIs there lead to "nativeex.multipe.exec-se.de", but this subdomain does not exist.
For example "MountStorePE" is linked to http://nativeex.mult...ountStor.script (SERVER NOT FOUND) but should be http://nativeex.exec...untStor.script.

#199 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Thanks for the report!

The nativeex..... URL is not longer valid for multiPE

the valid URL for single multiPE scripts is since a while http://multipe.winbu...r.net/Projects.

I'll try to delete all obsolete URLs.

Peter

#200 JanuszChmiel

JanuszChmiel

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 201 posts
  •  
    Czech_ Republic

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Dear advanced users, dear administrators, may be, that even kind Peter.
I would like to have valuable pleasment addressed to You.
Does somebody of You know about freeware or opensource antivirus solution, which would be used from PE environment, from Windows PE environment based on XP sources or Windows7 sources?
Once a pony time, i have tried one opensource antivirus for Windows, but it is causing severe system crasch while i tried it with NVDA screen reader from standard installed Windows7 operating system. I know, that integrating such power antivirus solutions like Microsoft Security Essentials is too complex for us and Microsoft may be would not too glad for this activity.
I also afraid, that Microsoft security essentials is not able to scan registry when user would try to run it from running live Pe and if user would use scan drive from The context menu.

So i would like to stay on The ground and does somebody of us know about functioning antivirus, which would be used from live PE?
So i could specifi whole NTFS partition for scanning from running PE?
I know, that using those programs during scanning is allocating many RAM, so i could get some error messages from Windows memory management core components when i try to run such tools from live PE with only 512 MB of RAM for example.

I have last pleasment.

Does some technique, which would enable us to use virtual memory mechanishms also while running live Pe projects? I know, that i can not use my USB external harddisk for pagefile.sys, when i have tried it from running installed Windows7, System have been quickly rebooted very shortly after system reboot, when i applied new settings, when i have specified location of virtual memory on my NTFS formatted external USB harddrive.

Thank You very much for Yours answers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win7pe, vistape, multiboot, pe3, livecd, pe2, pe1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users