7 replies to this topic

#1 clarodina

clarodina

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

How to boot vmware esxi, microsoft h - x - server or other vm off dvd without installing. Or boot on ram?

#2 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:13 PM

Just to clarify...You want to boot a hypervisor environment off a DVD, and not install it, then be able to run virtual machines on that hypervisor?

A very quick google of "esxi boot live" gave me lots of entries, including THIS ONE where they basically advise against it, since all the configuration and settings on the VM's being hosted would go to /tmp, and be lost on a reboot. They recommend using a USB flash drive if you just don't want to "install" it to the hard drive. A good reference article (again from the same google search) is http://www.techhead....i-usb-pen-drive...

BUT why wouldn't you want to install it - it isn't big (It is afterall a HYPER-visor) and it needs a place to stor information about the VM's, etc. So, poke around more on the web in general, since yes, it is POSSIBLE...but it's probably not what you want to do...

#3 clarodina

clarodina

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

exactly wanted to use microsoft hyper v but google for dvd live didn't much result

quick qns : booting esxi on dvd would copy the program to ram and boot and eject the dvd or have to leave the dvd on the drive?

Edited by clarodina, 17 September 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

Don't know...BUt from a quick read of that article, I guess eject, since it loads all the image into RAM...BUT, as I said, why do that, since all the configuration information would be lost!

#5 clarodina

clarodina

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

Theres a article on installing hyper v on usb.

http://www.nullsessi...08-r2-from-usb/

Would the hyper v boot directly on ram and usb is ejected?

Does hyper v allow usb ports?

#6 catfish182

catfish182
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:computers. movies. trying not to piss off my wife.
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

IF you install ESXi on a USB flash drive BUT do not use that drive as a datastore then you would be ok. IF you installed the hypervisor on the flash drive and used (for instance) the laptop hard drive as the datastore it would be ok but you would still need an interface. I dont think putting a data store on a USB drive is a wise idea. I tried it with a VDI solution i was working on and i burnt out the USB drive. from what i was told you get an average of 10,000 writes to a typical USB flash drive (of course there are people that will contest that and that is fine).

IF you want to have a hypervisor for the laptop i would try virtualcomputer.com. It is a type 1 hypervisor with a client front end. I would not run it on a dual core as the client takes a core for its use. I did enjoy it on my quad core but the software (kind of) restricts you to win 7/ vista/ Xp. I was able to get server running but it was a pain plus there is no networking between the VM's.

You could try Hyper-V but make sure you do the full version. server core will not get you much. Hyper-v isnt (in my opinion) the best hypervisor but the lack of license restriction (datacenter, enterprise) makes it nice.

If you have any questions let me know. I will do the best to advise.

#7 clarodina

clarodina

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

Isn't installing the esxi on usb or dvd the esxi is boot on ram and any write would be on ram? What interface are you talking about?

What is the fastest and light weight and install on dvd hypervisor on the market? Xtratum have a slax live dvd but has little people talking about them. Any others offering live cd or dvd

#8 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

To put is simply, yes, when running it is MOSTLY just accessing the ram image - i.e. it doesn't store the program or other bits on "disk". BUT, to be "persistent" across reboots (like from a power outage), the hypervisor needs a place to STORE data about the machine - password and IP address, etc. Those need to be WRITTEN somewhere to be accessed. If you boot off a DVD, then it can't write to the DVD, so it would just put them in the ram disk (/tmp)...But, if you boot from DISK (or flash drive), there is a place to store them that it can access on the next boot.

I guess to gfive you better answers, you need to tell us what is the GOAL, not how you arrive at the destination. Especially since XtratuM is a hypervisor specially designed for real-time embedded systems (taken right off their web site) - which looks like the last update was in 2009!

SO is this normal X86 based computers or some sort of special embedded processor? What is the purpose of the hypervisor - what type of OS will sit on top of it? Etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users