• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:06 AM

Someone seem to have fiddled with my profile settings. All of a sudden i get email notification for people quoting my posts or posting to a thread, i posted to too.

This behavior was always turned off in my profile.

Some improvement or new modul?

:cheers:

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

btw: I can read that i'm online since over 25 days. How this can be possible, when not only the browser, but actually my whole computer network was turned off for 4 days, is also beyond me.

#3 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

There was a problem during the forum update and notifications got disabled for everyone. I restored the original settings for all members.

Sorry if it caused you inconvenience, you can manage all notifications from the your user panel. Fortunately, no more need for manual SQL commands are required to change these things.. :cheers:

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:44 PM

There was a problem during the forum update and notifications got disabled for everyone. I restored the original settings for all members.

a problem? :w00t:

In my English this would sound "among the many - in the sense of

gobs, heaps, horde, jillion, large numbers, mass, multitude, oodles*, piles, plenty, scads, scores, thousands, throng, tons, umpteen, whole slew

- problems created by the board update, really innumerable (in the sense of countless), there was also this particular problem that (unlike the moltitude of other ones that are NOT yet fixed) was solved by simply re-setting default values for notifications to all users profiles"

Wonko

#5 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

a problem?

"Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. In this way every prediction made by the Party could be shown by documentary evidence to have been correct, nor was any item of news, or any expression of opinion, which conflicted with the needs of the moment, ever allowed to remain on record."
"And somewhere or other, quite anonymous, there were the directing brains who co-ordinated the whole effort and laid down the lines of policy which made it necessary that this fragment of the past should be preserved, that one falsified, and the other rubbed out of existence."

George Orwell in "1984"

Repeating one more time..

There was a minor problem with the forum upgrade.

#6 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hello,

I guess you mean the default settings, cause about the original settings, i wouldn't have complained. ;)

#7 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

I guess you mean the default settings

Yes, default settings. My apologies.

#8 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

There was a minor problem with the forum upgrade.

Undoubtedly that one was very minor (who - Medevil apart - would whine about their notification settings? ;)) I was talking about the other ones, which (again in my English) I would call major ones like almost everything ever posted inside CODE or CODEBOX tags having become unusable/unreadable:
http://reboot.pro/15275/
and the actual post editor still completely UNlike working properly.

The simple fact that Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V don't work in it (set aside the stupid new way that loses selection when you try to bold, italicize, etc) would be enough to make any normal PC user start crying in despair. :(

Wonko

#9 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

Yep, I pretty much detest using a crappy text editor as well.

Doesn't work so bad as you describe under Chrome, I guess the "developers" (or chimps) responsible for this implementation don't use Opera so often.

#10 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

Are you saying, that in Chrome there are no html tags in the quoted text?

#11 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'm saying that the editor doesn't work as badly under Chrome as it does for Opera.

It is a shame as vBulletin ships an HTML editor for ages and in 2011 we have to be guinea pigs for testing this out..

#12 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

I am saying that I DO NOT buy that it is ALL the fault of the demented guys programming the Board software, (which do remain demented in my view nonetheless) to this you add a number of missing/badly configured settings that could mitigate the impact of that and some re-work of the archives.

I have no idea how stupid and crippled are current board archives, but I won't buy that it is not possible to run some batch, PHP, VBS, javascript or Winbuilder ;) script on them and fix the problem with wrongly parsed characters which have become HTML codes.

As well I am pretty sure that all the feature that do not work when using CODE and other "special" formats can be fixed.

Mind you that if the problem is lack of time, you have all the time in the world and even more :) to try and fix the issues, no problem whatsoever, but what really gets me mad are your attempts to denying what is evident and those to take the issue out of context, Opera is (IMHO) the best browser around, and works allright on every single site BUT those few which were created by morons that targeted specific Internet Explorer "features", so don't come to me hinting that I should change my preferred browser in order to mitigate the mess that was made by the board software guys, please.

Wonko

#13 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

In case anyone cares.
I use a BBcode editor to write all posts that contain quotes, to get around the current editor problems.

It's not perfect, but beats the included one, hands down.
http://www.shajul.ne...-bbcode-editor/

• Brito likes this

#14 florin91

florin91

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 197 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

It is a shame as vBulletin ships an HTML editor

vBulletin? I thought that our forums runs on IPB -> Invision Power Board.

Will there be a change of framework? I doubt this!

LE: Yep. where I was thinking ... You were saying that vBulletin's forum is way better that IP.B

#15 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:08 AM

LE: Yep. where I was thinking ... You were saying that vBulletin's forum is way better that IP.B

Yep.

so don't come to me hinting that I should change my preferred browser in order to mitigate the mess that was made by the board software guys, please.

Please do read my previous post again. I do not endorse moving from Opera to whatever else. What I do complain is about the fact that vBulletin has an HTML editor for years that works dandy across the major browsers and then we are stuck with something beta and unstable that only works at some browsers.

Honestly, I even wonder what kept them from using ActiveX to make the browser experience "better".

#16 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:51 AM

George Orwell in "1984"

there were the directing brains

I like that part. What I wonder about, where to find the smiley icon which is on the Menu above text area? I can't find it in the first few raws of icons below text area, and the rest I can't open anyway. Admit, I use Opera, if that's a revealing circumstance. I guess, my brain is misdirected. :dubbio:

Btw, what happen to Diddy's Grub4DOS Tutorial? This is one of most valuable components of this site IMHO.

#17 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:27 AM

Admit, I use Opera, if that's a revealing circumstance. I guess, my brain is misdirected.

That is correct, you need to use a valid web browser.

Btw, what happen to Diddy's Grub4DOS Tutorial? This is one of most valuable components of this site IMHO.

Yesterday I was working on adding support for subdomains on reboot.pro and after your report I notice that the boot-land.net subdomains were deactivated. Thank you for the report, I've sent a message to mikorist so that he can help me get this solved.

#18 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

I do not endorse moving from Opera to whatever else.

Hmmm. :dubbio:

Spoiler

Wonko

#19 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

Yes, use a valid browser.. :)

Spoiler

Now back to serious stuff:

As I've said before, the HTML editor is buggy. Unfortunately, nothing can be done from our side to fix this.

We need to upgrade the forum to the most recent version or we are vulnerable to hackers that take advantage of public exploits on older forum versions. Until then, you can continue whining about bla-bla-bla but there is nothing that will be done other than waiting for a new release that addresses the messy HTML editor.

Edited by Nuno Brito, 14 September 2011 - 02:56 PM.

#20 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

We need to upgrade the forum to the most recent version or we are vulnerable to hackers that take advantage of public exploits on older forum versions. Until then, you can continue whining about bla-bla-bla but there is nothing that will be done other than waiting for a new release that addresses the messy HTML editor.

A BIG step forward, from denial to depression. :worship:
http://proactivechan...rief-stages.htm
I am unfortunately :( still in the anger stage, after having been briefly in the shock and disbelief one.

Still, can we have the database parsed for stoopid HTML code and at least have the "past" preserved? :unsure:

Mind you this is not whining, it is asking if a suggested and IMHO important step is possible and if yes WHEN it will be done, and/or if there is any help needed to perform it. :)

Wonko

#21 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:45 AM

Mind you this is not whining, it is asking if a suggested and IMHO important step is possible and if yes WHEN it will be done, and/or if there is any help needed to perform it.

Ok my friend, I will try to do it during the weekend. I am really in fear of breaking something on the database during the conversion process. Would really appreciate if you could be around during the weekend to check if the conversion has gone well or not.

:)

#22 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:51 AM

Ok my friend, I will try to do it during the weekend. I am really in fear of breaking something on the database during the conversion process. Would really appreciate if you could be around during the weekend to check if the conversion has gone well or not.

:)

Maybe making a (partial, small) mirror of the database, and do a couple of tests on it would be advisable.
Can you not do like you did the other time with the "temporary" board?

Wonko

#23 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

Can you not do like you did the other time with the "temporary" board?

That is a neat solution. Would really allow testing without risks, will see what can be done over the free time on weekend and use http://w.bb to host the test board. :)

#24 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

That is a neat solution.

Is it? :dubbio: :blush:

I must remember to put "neat" in the synonyms page for "obvious".
When you are managing data there is ONLY one possible way: REDUNDANCY. ;)
Spoiler

Would really allow testing without risks, will see what can be done over the free time on weekend and use http://w.bb to host the test board. :)

Very good. :)

Wonko

#25 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

Why the whole forum database should be parsed to begin with? If backup is setup incremental style, only these changes to the DB after recent forum soft update need parsing. The parsing process is not error proof either, so incremental backup seems to be a preferred solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users