#1 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:40 PM

I used to use a fingerprint detection software which required to my Windows XP account to have a password. Recently I uninstalled the software, but when I'm attempting to remove password from the account, Windows throws an error sayings that the Password and/or Account policies prevents it from doing that. Can anybody tell me the process of disabling this policy? Relevant screenshots are attached.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 amalux

amalux

Platinum Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 2,813 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:16 AM

WindowsGate, Password Renew, NTPWEdit, Active PWChanger, ElcomSoft ESR etc. ;)

I know it's not what you wanted but they work so easy!

:cheers:

#3 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,481 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

WindowsGate, Password Renew, NTPWEdit, Active PWChanger, ElcomSoft ESR etc. ;)

I don't think this is the issue at hand.

From what has been posted it seems like there is an active policy that forces accounts to have a non-blank password :dubbio:

Wonko

#4 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:09 AM

I don't think this is the issue at hand.

Believe me Wonko, amalux is well aware of the point quoted above. If you use spects, you need to either change them or get them cleared with a nicely washed flunnel type of piece of cloth & then, read the quote below whcih you might have missed out because of some visual obstacles. Anyway, i don't mind, as always.

I know it's not what you wanted but they work so easy!

From what has been posted it seems like there is an active policy that forces accounts to have a non-blank password.

The same suggestion as above as Sherlock has already detected the reason stated by Wonko.

Can anybody tell me the process of disabling this policy?

BTW, apart from the 'spects' suggestion, one more prescription for you can be to go for an annual (monthly is always better) health checkup by the 'Asylum' doctors from which you have escaped/ was released earlier because of the temporary, apparent & misleading 'sanity' exhibited after the long & fruitless treatment. Any request for help in this regard will be entertained & processed with utmost seriousness.

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,481 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

If you were saner, and also a little less unneededly aggressive and arrogant, you might have read between the lines of my post.

If there is an active policy or something else like a filter in Registry or service running that prevents the use of an account with empty password, forcibly resetting the password with an external program on the offline system may lead to a permanent lock of the account.

In other words I tried to point out how the suggested solution is probably not well suited to the problem as it may cause more damage than what intended, and tried to do it in an as polite as possible way :).

It's obviously wasted time with you :ph34r:, since you started thinking you already know everything :(.

Wonko

#6 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:46 AM

If you were saner, and also a little less unneededly aggressive and arrogant, you might have read between the lines of my post.

Allegations hurt me. Now you see, its because of the post, you have come up with something which is eventually more useful.

If there is an active policy or something else like a filter in Registry or service running that prevents the use of an account with empty password, forcibly resetting the password with an external program on the offline system may lead to a permanent lock of the account.

It's obviously wasted time with you , since you started thinking you already know everything .

Another misjudgement.

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,481 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Another misjudgement.

Naaah, no "judgement", it's my time and I do know when it is wasted. <- this is subjective

If you are referring to the "since you started thinking you already know everything", this was not intended as a judgement as well - sorry :blush:, to avoid misunderstandings, I will rephrase it to "since you started appearing to me like thinking you already know everything", so that it will be clearly subjective as well.

Wonko

#8 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

Very nice conversation going on around here.. :coffee:

Going back to topic, have you tried something like:

Follow the steps below and you are done :
  • From Desktop, Click on “Start” >> “Run“.
  • Then type in “control userpasswords2” and press Enter.
  • Uncheck the box for “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.”
  • Click “Apply” and “Ok“.

Credits:
http://www.smashinge...indows-xp-login

#9 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:21 PM

Going back to topic, have you tried something like:

Follow the steps below and you are done :

• From Desktop, Click on “Start” >> “Run“.
  • Then type in “control userpasswords2” and press Enter.
  • Uncheck the box for “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.”
  • Click “Apply” and “Ok“.

Unfortunately, it is already unchecked.
Posted Image

#10 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

If you are referring to the "since you started thinking you already know everything", this was not intended as a judgement as well - sorry :blush:, to avoid misunderstandings, I will rephrase it to "since you started appearing to me like thinking you already know everything", so that it will be clearly subjective as well.

Unfortunately, in my 23 yrs old life I've never met ANY creature, who, in spite of knowing everything, starts up a thread in a forum asking the question & posting the screen shots @ 5 AM in the morning just after waking up from sleep. :dubbio:

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,481 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

Unfortunately, in my 23 yrs old life I've never met ANY creature, who, in spite of knowing everything, starts up a thread in a forum asking the question & posting the screen shots @ 5 AM in the morning just after waking up from sleep. :dubbio:

Now this may explain why you posted the "wrong" question AND with not enough background data. :dubbio:

The usual yes/no answer applies to your original question:
http://homepages.tes...no-answers.html

But additionally the Standard Litany applies:
http://homepages.tes...ard-litany.html

If it's not a trade secret, or whatever WHY you post about "a" fingerprint detection software ?

Recently I uninstalled the software,

HOW ?
Like manually, using it's uninstaller, using an uninstalling utility, etc.

Have you not a SystemRestorePoint ?
Have you not a Registry backup?
Have you not "the" fingerprint detection software to trace it in a VM and see what the heck it changes during install?

But six hours later, i.e. around 11:00 o'clock, your time, there was no need (nor justification) to attack me for a perfectly innocent comment/opinion, BTW not addressed to you. :(

I personally would backup current policies and restore the default ones using a backup/restore point/whatever:
http://support.micro...kb/313222/en-us

Then, if the above would not work because I did not make a backup, I would check/fix/reset using secedit:
http://escapelogic.com/main/node/2
http://helpdeskgeek....ecurity-policy/
http://web.archive.o...t.com/kb/214752

Wonko

#12 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:20 PM

But six hours later, i.e. around 11:00 o'clock, your time, there was no need (nor justification) to attack me for a perfectly innocent comment/opinion, BTW not addressed to you. :(

Don't know what happened to you. Earlier it was that I used to 'vomit' useful info after being hit by Wonko's words. Now, the coin has flipped in the sense that Wonko has startedproviding seemingly useful links (of course that deboiler page is there which reboot has gone through n number of times) after being 'attacked' (though I personally do not like the term as I'm not a terrorist or cyber criminal).

#13 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:21 AM

If it's not a trade secret, or whatever WHY you post about "a" fingerprint detection software ?

Egistec Bioexcess

HOW ?
Like manually, using it's uninstaller, using an uninstalling utility, etc.

Using its automated uninstaller

Have you not a SystemRestorePoint ?

I turn this service off just after installing Windows.

Have you not a Registry backup?

No

Have you not "the" fingerprint detection software to trace it in a VM and see what the heck it changes during install?

Good point. Will try to try this out.

BTW, I've a full system image with all softwares & drivers which I generally restore in case of any emergencies. But, what I'm trying here is to learn what changes/policies have been made to my system by the software.

One more piece of info that light be of your interest is, just now I noticed that if I restart the system (Windows), it automatically logs in to my account without waiting at the logon screen asking or password. But, if I log off & then log on, it asks for password & accepts the previous password o let me log in to the system. Isn't it quite awkward?

#14 Holmes.Sherlock

Holmes.Sherlock

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1,396 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:28 AM

Since you have a subtle pride on the RAM & HD installed in your brain & also, in certain cases, boasted of their access times also, I had the faith in you which made me think that you would recollect the name of the software from this post. Anyways, all the info, which have been sought for, have been provided above.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users