#1 Klypso

Klypso
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:55 PM

Salutations!

So we have two computers in our household. A laptop and my desktop. Both running Ubuntu. Now lately I've been wanting to play some PC games however as we all know pretty much all PC games are initially made for Windows. I've tried using Wine (allows usage of Windows executable files on Linux and Mac) but it isn't all that great.

I was hoping to use a nice live cd of Windows which I could use to play PC games on. I could bundle the games on a usb device and play them on my desktop or on the laptop with my 42inch TV as the monitor. That would be really good if I could but I don't actually know if you can play games using LiveXP or VistaPE. Can you? If so which OS is the best to use?

Thanks bye!

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:23 PM

A PE might be ok for simple desktop games, but with more 'high end' ones you will run fast into problems.
A setup of a fully working windows would probably suit your needs better.
There are projects here, to create portable XP or Win7.

:cheers:

#3 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1030 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

Salutations!

So we have two computers in our household. A laptop and my desktop. Both running Ubuntu. Now lately I've been wanting to play some PC games however as we all know pretty much all PC games are initially made for Windows. I've tried using Wine (allows usage of Windows executable files on Linux and Mac) but it isn't all that great.

I was hoping to use a nice live cd of Windows which I could use to play PC games on. I could bundle the games on a usb device and play them on my desktop or on the laptop with my 42inch TV as the monitor. That would be really good if I could but I don't actually know if you can play games using LiveXP or VistaPE. Can you? If so which OS is the best to use?

Thanks bye!

a live cd is most likley not going to be any better than wine. still slow and without a bunch of drivers/run-times/etc. like Medevil said you are better making a dual boot windows...what games are you thinking of playing???

#4 Klypso

Klypso
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

There seems to be lots of different variants to choose from. Would there ever be one designed specifically for playing games or other high end software from a live cd?

#5 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

There seems to be lots of different variants to choose from. Would there ever be one designed specifically for playing games or other high end software from a live cd?

No, this isn't like the Linux world, since a PE, by design of MS, is limited...Afterall, they get a lot of $$$ for the full OS. I also agree with the others, that unless you are running flash/web games (farmville???) or other casual gaming, you need a full OS with the drivers, best graphics, etc. and a dual boot would be the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users