15 replies to this topic

#1 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

Really need some help, I'm using win xp, and i had downloaded a bootable iso of Asterisk now from

www.asterisk.org/asterisknow/

the iso has Asterisk now along with Linux on it, and the instructions say all i need to do is burn the iso to disc and it will run at system start up, but i didn't have a cd with me last night, so i tried to make a bootable flash, checked google, youtube, tried rmprepusb, grub4dos, but with little success, and now, out of curiosity, I really want to know how to be able to make a pen drive bootable, any help would be appreciated :)

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

tried rmprepusb, grub4dos, but with little success, and now, out of curiosity, I really want to know how to be able to make a pen drive bootable, any help would be appreciated :)

What is the question? :unsure:

Please chose one:
  • How should I use RMPREPUSB?
  • How should I use grub4dos?
  • How can I make Asterisk boot from USB stick?
  • How can I make Asterisk boot from USB stick as .iso?
  • Something else (unspecified)

What any of the above (even #5) has to do with forensics would also be interesting to know. :unsure:

Have you tried directly "Portable LinuxLive USB Creator 2.6" ?
http://asteriskfaqs.org/tag/grub4dos

http://linuxliveusb.com/

:dubbio:

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

What any of the above (even #5) has to do with forensics would also be interesting to know. :unsure:

:dubbio:

Wonko

oh wait, I posted in the wrong thread then, apologies :cold: just registered a few hours back! the question is how to make a pen drive bootable,so i can just copy the contents of any iso file and it boots from the flash at startup

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

oh wait, I posted in the wrong thread then, apologies :cold: just registered a few hours back! the question is how to make a pen drive bootable,so i can just copy the contents of any iso file and it boots from the flash at startup

Not only "wrong" place, also "wrong" question. :ph34r:

Don't worry :), we try to understand how new members may take some time to get the idea of the place and get used to the jargon.

DO NOT ask about "any" .iso, see here WHY :whistling::
http://reboot.pro/8944/

Now, try and see if on your .iso the "common" mapping of the .iso to (0xFF) or (hd32) in grub4dos works, examples are here:
http://reboot.pro/5041/

ALWAYS use Command line when experimenting and NEVER a pre-made menu.lst entry as you will have more (and better) feedback.

Try:
find --set-root /whatever.iso
[ENTER]

map /whatever.iso (0xFF)
[ENTER]
map --hook
[ENTER]
root (0xFF)
[ENTER]
chainloader
[ENTER]
boot
[ENTER]

What happens? :dubbio:

Wonko

P.S.: RMPREPUSB should be able to prepare the USB stick and install to it the grub4dos.

#5 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:03 PM

Not only "wrong" place, also "wrong" question. :ph34r:

Don't worry :), we try to understand how new members may take some time to get the idea of the place and get used to the jargon.

ty for that xD

DO NOT ask about "any" .iso, see here WHY :whistling::
http://reboot.pro/8944/

wow so it isn't even half as easy as i thought it would be :pressure:

Now, try and see if on your .iso the "common" mapping of the .iso to (0xFF) or (hd32) in grub4dos works, examples are here:
http://reboot.pro/5041/

ALWAYS use Command line when experimenting and NEVER a pre-made menu.lst entry as you will have more (and better) feedback.

Try:

find --set-root /whatever.iso
[ENTER]

map /whatever.iso (0xFF)
[ENTER]
map --hook
[ENTER]
root (0xFF)
[ENTER]
chainloader
[ENTER]
boot
[ENTER]

What happens? :dubbio:

Wonko

P.S.: RMPREPUSB should be able to prepare the USB stick and install to it the grub4dos.

at this part I was really lost ../public/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif could you please tell me what to do in more detail, if you haven't figured already, there is very little I know about all this, really sorry and thank you for your replies already

P.S. i did try LiLi as you had mentioned in your post earlier it said "Cannot find kickstart file on CD Rom

#6 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi siddharthshinde

I believe your question is

How can i make a bootable USB drive using the ISO AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso (which is the AsteriskNow 32-bit version from http://www.asterisk.org/downloads).

My first try was as follows:
1. Format a USB stick with RMPrepUSB as FAT32, Boot as HDD, WinPE
2. Mount and extract all the files from the ISO onto the USB drive
3. Install Syslinux using the RMPrepUSB button - use option 2 for \syslinux when asked
4. Copy all files from the \isolinux folder to the \syslinux folder on the USB drive
5. Rename \syslinux\isolinux.cfg to \syslinux\syslinux.cfg on the USB drive

This gets you some way and it boots, But then you get to a CentOS screen after choosing an option and it says 'what type of media contains the packages to be installed? - here it lists cdrom and hard drive and if hdd is selected, it lists sda1, sda3, sda5 and sdb1 (which is the USB drive). But if I choose sdb1 it says it cannot find any CentOS CDROM images.

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:52 PM

at this part I was really lost ../public/style_emoticons/default/confused1.gif could you please tell me what to do in more detail, if you haven't figured already, there is very little I know about all this, really sorry and thank you for your replies already

FORGET (temporarily) about your goal (Asterix, .iso and what not).

SET before yourself a smaller goal: have a USB stick that boots to grub4dos.

Get RMPREPUSB:
http://sites.google....site/rmprepusb/

Read the instructions/help and use it to partition/format your USB stick.

What you want to obtain for the moment is to have it boot to grub4dos.

See if you can get there.

Once you succeed in that, we'll talk of next step.
Or in the meantime you could read:
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm
At least:
http://diddy.boot-la...iles/basics.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...s/files/cli.htm

P.S. i did try LiLi as you had mentioned in your post earlier it said "Cannot find kickstart file on CD Rom

Hmmm :dubbio: NOT a good sign. :(

This, coupled with the test steve6375 just made, makes me think that is one of the "tough" distros, it is possible that:
  • there is no way while keeping the .iso
  • contents of the .iso need to be modified
Back to TANSTAAFL :(

Wonko

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:19 PM

http://wiki.centos.o...stallFromUSBkey

This has some info - it says to change some of the config files.

I also copied the whole ISO file to the USB key - now it gets as far as asking for a driver Disk - I don't understand why as it can see both the hard disk and the USB drive.. maybe it is looking for the CD? I can't get past this point.

#9 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

This gets you some way and it boots, But then you get to a CentOS screen after choosing an option and it says 'what type of media contains the packages to be installed? - here it lists cdrom and hard drive and if hdd is selected, it lists sda1, sda3, sda5 and sdb1 (which is the USB drive). But if I choose sdb1 it says it cannot find any CentOS CDROM images.

hi steve thanks a lot, this is the exact thing i tried yesterday, using grub4dos, and that's what I got, so i assumed there is something wrong with the download (since i used BitComet) I tried downloading using firefox, but the error was persistent, that's when I got on to youtube and through your reference to these forums

Read the instructions/help and use it to partition/format your USB stick.

What you want to obtain for the moment is to have it boot to grub4dos.

See if you can get there.

Wonko

yes I had managed to get it to boot to grub4dos and encountered the same problem as steve,
oh and also on LiLi when i did bypass the kickstart problem it again kept asking me for the disc, where the files are located and what not
*sigh* i thought i could finally get rid of all my CDs lol, i'll try burning it to a CD tomorrow, if it still doesn't work, asterisk is the problem xD

#10 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Unetbootin also does the same thing - very easy to use (just pick CentOS v5) - but I get driver selection screen again.
Maybe my test system (EeePC Intel Atom) is too modern for the drivers in this build. Have you tried an older system?

#11 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Have you tried an older system?

yes, my system is rather old, had bought it in '09, it's a core 2 duo

#12 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

This seems to almost work. If you just try to get through to the next screen whenever you get an error and tell it NO when it wants to format your USB stick, you eventually get to a CentOS screen which shows your hard disk and some options such as 'Remove linux partitions on selected drives and create default layout' -

that is as far as I can go as I don't want to format by EeePC!

Maybe you could try it? Just copy the ISO over and install grub4dos.

title AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso LiveCD \n * Booting from ISO image file

map --unhook

map --unmap=0:0xff

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso

map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel (0xff)/isolinux/vmlinuz fromusb bootfromiso=/AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso livecd=livecd root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=en vmalloc=256M edd=off 

initrd (0xff)/isolinux/initrd.img

#13 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

is there no way i can do it without having to format my drives :( coz i only have C and D, i may have to create another partition now then

#14 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

This seems to almost work. If you just try to get through to the next screen whenever you get an error and tell it NO when it wants to format your USB stick, you eventually get to a CentOS screen which shows your hard disk and some options such as 'Remove linux partitions on selected drives and create default layout' -

title AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso LiveCD \n * Booting from ISO image file

map --unhook

map --unmap=0:0xff

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso

map --heads=0 --sectors-per-track=0 /AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel (0xff)/isolinux/vmlinuz fromusb bootfromiso=/AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso livecd=livecd root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on vga=788 keyb=en vmalloc=256M edd=off

initrd (0xff)/isolinux/initrd.img

there is still something wrong, every time I try to install it, it says, please specify the drive where the iso 99 image is

#15 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Did you try UnetBootin?

#16 siddharthshinde

siddharthshinde
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

my motherboard got fried, i'm hunting for a new laptop now x_x sorry i just replied

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users