11 replies to this topic

#1 asdf005

asdf005
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

Hi, I need help on creating a xp home or pro sp3 image that will work on any machine. Basically a windows without any drivers on it, so i wont get a blue screen. I have acronis universal restore and that will install the hal files according to my processor. Also i want to make it so once it boots up for the first time it will automatically install the drivers from a external hdd.
  • Wonko the Sane likes this

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,080 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:00 AM

Hi, I need help on creating a xp home or pro sp3 image that will work on any machine. Basically a windows without any drivers on it, so i wont get a blue screen. I have acronis universal restore and that will install the hal files according to my processor. Also i want to make it so once it boots up for the first time it will automatically install the drivers from a external hdd.

Look here:
http://www.911cd.net...hp?showforum=43
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=22064

:cheers:
Wonko

#3 asdf005

asdf005
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

any easier tutorials?

#4 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,080 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

any easier tutorials?

Well, you could send me the image, then I would generalize it and return it back to you. :whistling:

Come on :), get real, you want to do something that is VERY advanced and you expect that it is also possible through an "easy" tutorial? :w00t:

Maybe you can use this :unsure::
http://reboot.pro/9830/

Wonko

#5 asdf005

asdf005
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well, you could send me the image, then I would generalize it and return it back to you. :whistling:

Come on :), get real, you want to do something that is VERY advanced and you expect that it is also possible through an "easy" tutorial? :w00t:

Maybe you can use this :unsure::
http://reboot.pro/9830/

Wonko

The acronis software i have can do that stuff i just really needa remove all the drivers that windows installed according to my motherboard,videocard so i can avoid Blue screen.

#6 asdf005

asdf005
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:55 AM

do you know how to remove the drivers that windows installed ? I know the obvious ones such as display and ethernet, audio but what else ?

#7 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,080 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:01 PM

The acronis software i have can do that stuff i just really needa remove all the drivers that windows installed according to my motherboard,videocard so i can avoid Blue screen.

I really don't get it. :blink:

You asked HOW to do something.

I told you. (actually I told you how I would do it, and how it actually should be done, by "generalizing" the image)

If learning how to do it is not what you want to do, it's your problem, I gave you an alternative also (that maybe could suit you) that is "easier" but possibly also more "limited".

The only other alternative, as said, (and AFAIK) is to have someone do it instead of you (but don't count on me).

Wonko

#8 asdf005

asdf005
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

I really don't get it. :blink:

You asked HOW to do something.

I told you. (actually I told you how I would do it, and how it actually should be done, by "generalizing" the image)

If learning how to do it is not what you want to do, it's your problem, I gave you an alternative also (that maybe could suit you) that is "easier" but possibly also more "limited".

The only other alternative, as said, (and AFAIK) is to have someone do it instead of you (but don't count on me).

Wonko

I do want to learn, when ever you install xp it will automatically install drivers so if i image that then it will give me a blue screen. I want to know a way where i can prevent xp from installing the drivers when you install. (ONLY exclude the drivers that would give me a blue screen when i transfer them to a different machine).

#9 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,080 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I do want to learn, when ever you install xp it will automatically install drivers so if i image that then it will give me a blue screen. I want to know a way where i can prevent xp from installing the drivers when you install. (ONLY exclude the drivers that would give me a blue screen when i transfer them to a different machine).

There is NO such a way (actually maybe there is, see below ;)).

The "normal" way is to install the XP normally, then remove the drivers, i.e. generalize the image.

If you install Windows XP in Qemu (using it in conjunction with Qemu Manager) on a VERY standard machine:
  • Standard VGA
  • NO Network
  • NO sound
  • NO Bluetooth
  • NO Usb
  • NO *anything*
you will probably have an "as neutral as it can be" XP image.

But still I cannot see WHY you want to invent your own, MORE complex and MORE error prone way, when we have a documented, tested and "mature", "proper" way (actualy two of them if you count Wimb's nice little app). :unsure:

Wonko

#10 asdf005

asdf005
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

There is NO such a way (actually maybe there is, see below ;)).

The "normal" way is to install the XP normally, then remove the drivers, i.e. generalize the image.

If you install Windows XP in Qemu (using it in conjunction with Qemu Manager) on a VERY standard machine:

• Standard VGA
  • NO Network
  • NO sound
  • NO Bluetooth
  • NO Usb
  • NO *anything*
you will probably have an "as neutral as it can be" XP image.

But still I cannot see WHY you want to invent your own, MORE complex and MORE error prone way, when we have a documented, tested and "mature", "proper" way (actualy two of them if you count Wimb's nice little app). :unsure:

Wonko

How does sysprep remove all the drivers?

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 11,080 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

How does sysprep remove all the drivers?

Probably it finds every and all drivers, all related registry entries, every connected library, binaries, textfiles, caches and what not and deletes them and all references to them? :dubbio: :unsure:

Wonko

#12 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,676 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

I believe that you are confused.

Installing drivers for computer model A does not guarantee a Blue Screen of Death on computer model B. Also: SysPrep does not remove all drivers, but it might remove some devices.

There is a difference between drivers and devices that you ought to learn about here.

Regardless of that, here is a tedious procedure that you can use to remove devices:
  • Start a CLI with cmd.exe
  • Enter: set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 && compmgmt.msc
  • In the Computer Management that opens up, goto Device Manager.
  • Place a check-mark beside the menu item View -> Show hidden devices
  • Now right-click and Uninstall every device under every category, except for: Network adapters -> RAS Async Adapter and the entire Non-Plug and Play Drivers category.
Also, it's nice to have developed the image under QEmu, if possible, as the hardware is pretty minimal.

Are you certain that your Acronis tool doesn't worry about these things for you?

Have you actually gotten a BSoD and are assuming you know the reason for it and asking for a solution to a problem which might not be the problem?