sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

hello all

When I tweak some systems for performance optimization i disable/remove many unnecessary (for me :dubbio: ) services , Many of them related to Internet & Networks... Sometimes it is computers that do not need network or internet connection at all... Instead of manually switch and remove one by one
I thought it would be nice to make a tool that eliminates in one-click all network/diagnostic/share/connection/internet services and support
I'd prefer one that really deletes everything including all files/registry and preferences and leave the computer in real offline mode (I also came across customers who wanted it for security reasons or religion)

We're talking dozens of services and it has a significant impact on performance :whistling:

Will somebody can make something like that?

#2 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1030 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:26 PM

hello all

When I tweak some systems for performance optimization i disable/remove many unnecessary (for me :dubbio: ) services , Many of them related to Internet & Networks... Sometimes it is computers that do not need network or internet connection at all... Instead of manually switch and remove one by one
I thought it would be nice to make a tool that eliminates in one-click all network/diagnostic/share/connection/internet services and support
I'd prefer one that really deletes everything including all files/registry and preferences and leave the computer in real offline mode (I also came across customers who wanted it for security reasons or religion)

We're talking dozens of services and it has a significant impact on performance :whistling:

Will somebody can make something like that?

Disabling the PENetwork script and any driver scripts relating to network are going to come pretty close. its not really possible to get rid of EVERYTHING as stuff like winsock and the LSP stack is woven into the OS pretty tight...
perhaps if you post your list of services/reg entries/etc someone might be interested in creating a small script, but in the large picture of trying to remove ALL files/etc. that have any connection to anything network/internet related isn't practical and the resulting system if it booted at all would be quite unstable.

#3 sara - pmedia

sara - pmedia

Frequent Member

• Lady
  • 177 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Disabling the PENetwork script and any driver scripts relating to network are going to come pretty close. its not really possible to get rid of EVERYTHING as stuff like winsock and the LSP stack is woven into the OS pretty tight...
perhaps if you post your list of services/reg entries/etc someone might be interested in creating a small script, but in the large picture of trying to remove ALL files/etc. that have any connection to anything network/internet related isn't practical and the resulting system if it booted at all would be quite unstable.

thanks you
You talk about pe And I mean full windows 7 or xp

#4 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:49 AM

thanks you
You talk about pe And I mean full windows 7 or xp

I think the same applies...

Can we go back to the reasons for the requirements...Is it really a performance thing? With the faster computers and more RAM available, and if they aren't really doing anything, does it really help to disable them?

Now, I can understand the security aspects, and I would think that a set of "policies" might be sufficient. Do the users have administrator privileges or are they regular users? Is this in an Active Directory or more stand-alone environment?

Do you even have a listing of things you "disable"? If so, it should be easy enough to make a script - or Au3 file to kill the services (i.e. change startup flags so it doesn't run)...

But as homes32 said, MANY, MANY parts of the networking stack are buried into the OS, and might even be used to allow one process to communicate with another. For example, the "FLEXlm" license management software is client/server based - even if on a single machine! Without a functional TCP/IP stack - even if the firewall prevent access to anything but 127.0.0.0 - the application will fail to work properly.

So, while you certainly CAN turn things off, is it really worth it - or is there a different (maybe better) way to get the same results?

Scott
:dubbio:

#5 Toolman

Toolman
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:20 PM

Maybe to create an extreem secure environment for creating identifying Certificates ?

Edited by Toolman, 26 September 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#6 homes32

homes32

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1030 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:41 AM

Maybe to create an extreem secure environment for creating identifying Certificates ?

thats easy. do it on a fresh install of whatever, without the network cable plugged in.

there is no "secure" computer except a computer that is not connected to the internet or on a LAN with other computers
if you want an extra, extra, extra secure computer you can do the above and then lock the computer in a bank vault that nobody knows the combination to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users