#1 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:06 PM

I removed the creation of all the application shortcuts on the desktop, changing True to False on those specific items and my build ended up missing all the Start Menu items. I didn't remove the option to include the applications on the start menu, I wanted those! Has this happened to anyone else, did I remove a mystery desktop shortcut that prevented the menu items from being created? The applications still run properly from their program folders on X:\

:dubbio: I just wanted a clean looking build ... oh yea, it did look clean but I had to figure out where all the programs went.

Edited by Michael*, 02 August 2011 - 01:10 PM.

#2 homes32

homes32

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 986 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

I removed the creation of all the application shortcuts on the desktop, changing True to False on those specific items and my build ended up missing all the Start Menu items. I didn't remove the option to include the applications on the start menu, I wanted those! Has this happened to anyone else, did I remove a mystery desktop shortcut that prevented the menu items from being created? The applications still run properly from their program folders on X:\

:dubbio: I just wanted a clean looking build ... oh yea, it did look clean but I had to figure out where all the programs went.

Its not very clear what you are on about. you unchecked the boxes for each desktop shortcut? or you went about in the code for each script and manually edited the Interface (or some other) section?
Also, it would also help very much to know what project you are using...

#3 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

All I did was go through and changed true to false in the code for each script where it states to create the desktop shortcut. I do understand that some simple scripts do not create startmenu entries, but only desktop shortcuts which I turned off. The project is Win7PE_SE x86 with Enterprise Trial Source & Win7 x86 SPI host. I used winbuilder 082 preview 2 with v93 of commonapi.

I can post a screenshot later. All the programs installed on X and I was left with perhaps two entries on the start menu :dubbio:
I used to have them all .... For sure, the entry for Hiren's v14 was properly there, so Scott's script was fine. That's something to look at. I don't know why so many others boobed, or how I hosed the creation of the startmenu entry with this simple change? I remember in the log, there were no errors or warnings that I recall and the programs functioned correctly.

I suppose I could get lucky and it could have been just a strange build error something :dubbio:
We'll see what happens when I try again.

Its not very clear what you are on about. you unchecked the boxes for each desktop shortcut? or you went about in the code for each script and manually edited the Interface (or some other) section?
Also, it would also help very much to know what project you are using...

Edited by Michael*, 02 August 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#4 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

All I did was go through and changed true to false in the code for each script where it states to create the desktop shortcut.

Now why in the world would you do that?
Use the WB script interface to change settings that are meant to be changed.

:dubbio:

#5 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12,406 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

All I did was go through and changed true to false in the code for each script where it states to create the desktop shortcut. I do understand that some simple scripts do not create startmenu entries, but only desktop shortcuts which I turned off. The project is Win7PE_SE x86 with Enterprise Trial Source & Win7 x86 SPI host. I used winbuilder 082 preview 2 with v93 of commonapi.

Which shortcuts are offered, is ONLY a decision of the script (the script's author).
So, if the script has only the Desktop choice: When you unselect it, there is no other shortcut generated.

But you can easily change the behaviour in your private installation.

Search for the line

Add_Shortcut,Desktop

or

Add_Shortcut,DE

And change to

Add_Shortcut,SM

(Should be good when you also change the interface from Desktop to StartMenu)

That's sufficient that the shortcut appears in the start menu.

For enhanced options, e.g. startmenu subfolders, look at the API documentation.

Peter

#6 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

I'm on the move, thanks Peter :whistling:
I know why the ones without menu entries weren't there. I don't know what happened to the ones that had startmenu entries there before?
I will have to examine some of the scripts I messed with and try to show ya'll what the deal is ...

I guess I just changed the wrong thing in the code, got to put all the desktop shortcuts back, then go from there.
I need a simple Macro for Notepad++ or Textpad. hint.. hint ..:dubbio:

So, if the script has only the Desktop choice: When you unselect it, there is no other shortcut generated.

But you can easily change the behaviour in your private installation.

Search for the line .....

Peter

Edited by Michael*, 02 August 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12,406 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

I need a simple Macro for Notepad++ or Textpad. hint.. hint ..:dubbio:

Maybe this code helps to give you an introduction:

[Process]

If,%pCheckBox2%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,DE,,#$pSystemRoot#$p\system32\taskmgr.exe,Task Manager

If,%pCheckBox3%,EQUAL,True,Add_Shortcut,SM,,#$pSystemRoot#$p\system32\taskmgr.exe,Task Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users