#1 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:11 AM

My ISO's build fine, but I have problems booting the image.
Does anyone have any ideas, getting frustrated here? :thumbsup:

#2 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15109 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Not as frustrated as I am :thumbsup: by seeing how people expects ESP or clairvoyancy from other willing helping members of the board.
Get standard reply #32 for the moment:
http://reboot.pro/2587/page__st__1

Then read and think over this:
http://homepage.ntlw...ard-litany.html

:pressure:
Wonko

#3 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:10 PM

I know that 0xc0000017 can happen if you have too many drivers integrated and I think that's what is happening.
Everything is x86 with x86 Enterprise Trial as source, built on an x86 build platform. I have only integrated x86 drivers.
I have had previous successful ISO's.

I just get frustrated because the errors seem to be insignificant to winbuilder, yet the system is unbootable. :unsure:
I am using the latest versions of everything I could find, including winbuilder 082 preview 2. Since I know that there has to be some kind of driver conflict issue, I don't think it would help anyone to see all my installed applications. I am rebuilding again, clean! The build will be successful, yet unbootable due to 0xc0000017. I thought I was just having bad burns, but it's the same in VMWare and on multiple computers. I will post a log, shortly. It should have about 27-30 warnings, but no errors :dubbio:

Still won't boot, though! :w00t:
I really did want all those drivers installed, so I could use the disk everywhere and have virtually everything working. If I could just figure out which little driver is causing the problem, I would just get rid of the bugger. :)

Not as frustrated as I am :) by seeing how people expects ESP or clairvoyancy from other willing helping members of the board.
Get standard reply #32 for the moment:
http://reboot.pro/2587/page__st__1

Then read and think over this:
http://homepage.ntlw...ard-litany.html

:cheers:
Wonko

Edited by Michael*, 17 July 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

I know that 0xc0000017 can happen if you have too many drivers integrated and I think that's what is happening.
Everything is x86 with x86 Enterprise Trial as source, built on an x86 build platform. I have only integrated x86 drivers.
I have had previous successful ISO's.

I just get frustrated because the errors seem to be insignificant to winbuilder, yet the system is unbootable. :unsure:
I am using the latest versions of everything I could find, including winbuilder 082 preview 2. Since I know that there has to be some kind of driver conflict issue, I don't think it would help anyone to see all my installed applications. I am rebuilding again, clean! The build will be successful, yet unbootable due to 0xc0000017. I thought I was just having bad burns, but it's the same in VMWare and on multiple computers. I will post a log, shortly. It should have about 27-30 warnings, but no errors :dubbio:

Still won't boot, though! :w00t:
I really did want all those drivers installed, so I could use the disk everywhere and have virtually everything working. If I could just figure out which little driver is causing the problem, I would just get rid of the bugger. :cheers:

I think that you did not understand Wonko!
(I also do not like to follow all of his links :)).

But here is simply the fact:

The only thing the forum knows that you got error "????".

Nobody knows about your PE type (1,2,3) or the project you are building, or it's contents, or ... ???

As a result, nobody can give you any hint what to do ...

Peter

#5 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15109 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

(I also do not like to follow all of his links :dubbio: ).

...thus usually losing a good 2/3 of the fun... :unsure: :)

Nobod<y knows about your PE type (1,2,3) ot it's contents, or ... ???

An educated guess :cheers:, since Michael* posted in:
> Groups> WinBuilder> Win7PE
could be that the problem happened with Win7PE :w00t: (of which there are anyway at least two "branches", and n versions, if I recalll correctly, which elevated to the power of winbuilder versions should give a good number of possibilities :) )

:w00t:
Wonko

#6 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

It's ChrisR's "Win7PE_SE" Project and I really can't explain in greater detail the unexpected error I'm receiving ??
Here's my latest build log . http://www.mediafire...4ushnwf5horgje2
Here are the drivers I have been trying to integrate .... & I'm busy building another minimal to see if I can get that bloody one to boot. :dubbio:
It goes through the startup routine (loading Windows files, etc), but as soon as that completes I get this message:

"unexpected error has occured" - Event 0xc0000017

Extracted To: [Drivers_x86]

Atheros_Wireless_Network_Adapter-x86.7z
Dell-WinPE-Drivers-x86_A05.7z
DP_Audio_wnt6-x86_1104.7z
DP_Chipset_wnt6-x86_11051.7z
DP_LAN_wnt6-x86_11042.7z
DP_MassStorage_wnt6-x86_11051.7z
DP_WLAN_wnt6-x86_1104.7z

Copied .7z's To: [DriverPacks_x86]

DP_CableModem_wnt6-x86_1001.7z
DP_CardReaders_wnt6-x86_11041.7z
DP_Gaming_wnt6-x86_1001.7z
DP_Graphics_A_wnt6-x86_1106.7z
DP_Graphics_B_wnt6-x86_1106.7z
DP_Graphics_Mobile_wnt6-x86_1106.7z
DP_Misc_wnt6-x86_11051.7z
DP_Modem_wnt6-x86_1001.7z
DP_Monitors_wnt6-x86_1001.7z
DP_Touchpad_Mouse_wnt6-x86_1107.7z
DP_TVcard_wnt6-x86_1001.7z
DP_Webcam_wnt6-x86_1103.7z

Posted Image

Edited by Michael*, 17 July 2011 - 07:28 PM.

#7 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:50 PM

ok, I built another one. Yes, I purged the temp files and all that.
I removed only the extracted folder Dell-WinPE-Drivers-x86_A05

Dell-WinPE-Drivers-x86_A05 <<<--- Removed
I rebuilt the identical project with the same settings and received another Status: 0xc0000017 :)
These two snapshots are the messages I have been receiving. WTH :dubbio:
I have no idea what is causing this problem ....

Posted Image

Edited by Michael*, 17 July 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#8 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

ok, I built another one. Yes, I purged the temp files and all that.
I removed only the extracted folder Dell-WinPE-Drivers-x86_A05

Dell-WinPE-Drivers-x86_A05 <<<--- Removed
I rebuilt the identical project with the same settings and received another Status: 0xc0000017 :unsure:
These two snapshots are the messages I have been receiving. WTH :dubbio:
I have no idea what is causing this problem ....

A couple of comments...

Thanks for giveing more information, but start without ANY drivers at all - if you think it is the drivers that you are adding!

Then, you can try to add them in...I would put them in as OPTIONAL drivers that you could load if you need them - in other words don't try to have the PE load them all automatically, but instead, used the driver load GUI to select the subset of drivers to load.

Note: I have seen errors like this when the WIM file has been messed up somehow during the build process...BUT, also realize that Winbuilder can't do anything more than it was programed to do. In other words, you seem to expect that somehow it will know if the ISO file it produces is any good. While that might be nice, you would have to have some sort of a test process, and we leave that as an exercise for the student (possibly US education system humor :) )

So, one should do as you are doing - i.e. test your ISO to make sure it works for you given the files you are adding.

#9 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

I have also been having errors with file copy on a couple of scripts and can't figure out what's up with that?
I have two applications doing this. ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 and O&O Defrag 14. The thing is, I don't think there is anything wrong with either script, but rather something going on with my system which is causing these stupid unidentifiable errors that ruin my builds. :cheers:
It's like I no longer have permission to copy the files or something ??

Why the heck doesn't this ImgBurn.script work?
I used this one, placed it in \Projects\Win7PE_SE\Apps\CDVD

I know this is all going to be my fault .... that I have simply placed both these two scripts at the wrong level or something, but Level=5 .....
It launches the program from the script, but won't build because it can't copy the files?? :cheers:

Posted Image

However, launching the application through the launch button in winbuilder works fine, so what gives with that?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 12:13 AM.

#10 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:48 AM

I have also been having errors with file copy on a couple of scripts and can't figure out what's up with that?
I have two applications doing this. ImgBurn 2.5.5.0 and O&O Defrag 14. The thing is, I don't think there is anything wrong with either script, but rather something going on with my system which is causing these stupid unidentifiable errors that ruin my builds. :cheers:
It's like I no longer have permission to copy the files or something ??

yes, this is possible...So, let's step back...What drive is the build on - from the log file you posted, it just siad things were on "D" and in a directory with spaces in the name. What kind of a drive is "D"...is it an internal IDE/SATA drive or a USB drive?

It launches the program from the script, but won't build because it can't copy the files?? :cheers:

Yes, that seems to be the issue...What account are you running this on, and does it have FULL access?

Until we figure out why the main engine is having trouble writing to some of the folders/files, it's no point in moving forward with scripts, etc.

Scott

#11 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:07 AM

Things were on D:\ ??? Uhhh, no. My backup drive is an external and I'm not building anything on it. I am building everything inside the root C:\Win7PE_SE folder and I have full permisson to write to it. UAC is OFF. It is an internal SATA. The D: is an external USB. Perhaps it should be disconnected during the build, although I couldn't imagine why?

I delete the folder completely for the 30th or so time and recreated everything. I even downloaded all available updates and took ownership of the root folder and all folders beneath it. I tried to run the Imgburn script again. Same issue, files cannot be copied. To be quite honest, I'm starting to lose interest in winbuilder because of these kinds of errors (or should I say warnings) which fail the build and give no information whatsoever as far as why the issue is even happening. Am I simply missing a file here, some obscure executable that is required to perform the simple file copy?

yes, this is possible...So, let's step back...What drive is the build on - from the log file you posted, it just siad things were on "D" and in a directory with spaces in the name. What kind of a drive is "D"...is it an internal IDE/SATA drive or a USB drive?

Yes, that seems to be the issue...What account are you running this on, and does it have FULL access?

Until we figure out why the main engine is having trouble writing to some of the folders/files, it's no point in moving forward with scripts, etc.

Scott

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#12 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:44 AM

Things were on D:\ ??? Uhhh, no.

Well, that was what it looked like in the file you posted... :cheers:
%BaseDir%	D:\Recovery USB

So, that seems weird to me as well...Double check the variables in the log file again to make sure that there isn't anything "funny".

My backup drive is an external and I'm not building anything on it. I am building everything inside the root C:\Win7PE_SE folder and I have full permisson to write to it. UAC is OFF. It is an internal SATA. The D: is an external USB. Perhaps it should be disconnected during the build, although I couldn't imagine why?

That should be OK...

Are you using a CD/DVD as the source? Or did you copy the files to the main hard drive? It looked like it was trying to mount a WIM file onto the USB drive (again, it the log file you posted before it said "D" :cheers: )

One thing to try here is to use the newer capability in the Win7PE_SE to access files that have been "unpacked" with a tool like 7zip.

Attached File  ScreenHunter_04 Jul. 18 21.36.gif   21.15KB   5 downloads

This can help out if it is a timing issue...Basically, what I *think* is happening is that for some reason it is taking longer than windows likes to get a copy of the source file...

To be quite honest, I'm starting to lose interest in winbuilder because of these kinds of errors (or should I say warnings) which fail the build and give no information whatsoever as far as why the issue is even happening. Am I simply missing a file here, some obscure executable that is required to perform the simple file copy?

AFAIK, this is the first time anyone has had this level of trouble...So, don't give up yet...

Have you had any luck at all on a SIMPLE build - i.e. download the ZIP of the project, unpack it and configure JUST the bare bones? I think if we can lick that, you should be "cooking"...

Again, please turn on the debugging options (in the "tools/options" section
Attached File  ScreenHunter_05 Jul. 18 21.42.gif   5.76KB   5 downloads
and upload a new log file!

Thanks
Scott :cheers:

#13 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:02 AM

I forgot to turn on the debugging, dangit. It's because of frustration. :(
Here is my Build Log ---------->>>>> Which produces the missing registry !!!

Posted Image

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 04:16 AM.

#14 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:42 AM

I forgot to turn on the debugging, dangit. It's because of frustration. :(
Here is my Build Log ---------->>>>> Which produces the missing registry !!!

Posted Image

Well, at least you didn't have any copy failures...those 26 warnings are pretty much standard ones in any build.

BUT, let's start SMALL... - i.e. NO APP, and NO multi-boot / other OS things....I know you're frustrated AND Given how many scripts and time it takes, not wonder you're :( :ranting2:
150 scripts processed.

Project time: 59 minutes, 46 seconds and 374 milliseconds

To isolate things, we want to start small - even things like adding drivers takes time and it all adds up.

SO - No drivers, No apps, turn OFF ALL (or at least most) of the "components", etc....Let's see if we can make just a simple PE that runs in a virtual box or QEMU virtual environment off of the ISO.

Then you can start adding in scripts...

Scott

#15 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:49 AM

And - it REALLY makes a difference to have the files already on disk and EXTRACTED...

Your time to "copy"
1 - Copy Files Version[27] ( )  549.089 seconds
My time to copy (using a pre-extracted WIM file as I suggested!!! :(
1 - Copy Files Version[27] ( )  53.336 seconds

10 minutes vs 1 minute...Even with a slower CPU, the time to mount a WIM file on Win7 is S L O O O W :( So do your self a favor, and unpack the files. There is even a script to help you do that!

Attached File  ScreenHunter_06 Jul. 19 00.48.gif   25.46KB   5 downloads

#16 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:32 AM

@Michael*
You could try with this trimmed down package:
http://al-jo.99k.org...ll_and_quick.7z
Just extract, run winbuilder.exe, point to your source & click play.
The ISO will be ready in less then 5 minutes.
IF your source is fine & ok.
After, you can add the app scripts you need, one by one…

General tips:
Have your source extracted to hard drive or mount the ISO with a Virtual Drive Manager.
Turn off UAC.
Run Winbuilder.exe as Administrator.
Temporarily turn off realtime Avirus progs
Do a “clean” reboot
:(

#17 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

I already made that test ISO the other day while troubleshooting and it booted fine. I use many of your scripts. I was reading through all the troubleshooting tips and I wanted to make sure my source files were fine. I extracted them to C:\windows7 and never tried to obtain them directly from the CD. I will take a look at extracting the wim to save build time, just hadn't read about doing it. I saw it in the menu. I am using the full file copy option, if that makes any difference. I never figured out what the difference was from standard file copy? I was turning off my antivirus during the builds.

I can tell you I did find 2 trojans on my pc and removed them, although I do not know why or if they would go after winbuilder files ??

I also found I had both imagex6.1.exe and wimgapi6.1.dll in x86, although I am not using SP1 as a source. Not sure how they got in there?
Will this prevent the disk from booting? Yes, both imagex6.0.exe and wimgapi6.0.dll where there, as well.

Found in x86:

- <Tools>\x86\imagex6.1.exe
- <Tools>\x86\wimgapi6.1.dll

@Michael*
You could try with this trimmed down package:
http://al-jo.99k.org...ll_and_quick.7z
Just extract, run winbuilder.exe, point to your source & click play.
The ISO will be ready in less then 5 minutes.
IF your source is fine & ok.
After, you can add the app scripts you need, one by one…

General tips:
Have your source extracted to hard drive or mount the ISO with a Virtual Drive Manager.
Turn off UAC.
Run Winbuilder.exe as Administrator.
Temporarily turn off realtime Avirus progs
Do a “clean” reboot
:(

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 03:08 PM.

#18 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

I already made that test ISO the other day while troubleshooting and it booted fine.

So...what is the problem :(

Ps. Try adding drivers, one by one, and retest until no boot again...

#19 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:17 PM

Ok, I have an update. I put the project together again and trying to take sbaeders advice to pre-extract the wim from my source.
I get an Error Processing (1) Script !!! & an unknown error, at that.

This was what I was trying to do ...

Extracted BootWim
%GlobalTemplates%\Win7Extract\BootWimSrc\

which is

C:\Win7PE_SE\Workbench\Common\Win7Extract\BootWimSrc

Extracted InstallWim
%GlobalTemplates%\Win7Extract\InstallWimSrc\

which is

C:\Win7PE_SE\Workbench\Common\Win7Extract\InstallWimSrc

RegHiveLoad - Failed to load registry hive: [WB-SOFT] From file: [%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\Win7Extract\InstallWimSrc\Windows\system32\config\software]: Unknown error

Posted Image

I have cleaned my registry multiple times, I don't know what's hanging the thing?
Here is the bloody failed Images.script Date=2011.07.05 Images.script

Michael*

As a guess, I would say that one of the scripts in your mega-build is failing to unload a registry hive. Have a look in your registry and see if there is anything unusual. Just a guess!

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:26 PM

RegHiveLoad - Failed to load registry hive: [WB-SOFT] From file: [%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\Win7Extract\InstallWimSrc\Windows\system32\config\software]: Unknown error

When you look into you local registry with regedit, is there under HKLM any entry different from
  • Hardware
  • SAM
  • Security
  • Software
  • System
?
If yes in 99% of all cases it is a relict of an aborted WinBuilder session and you just can unload it (Sorry, I cannot give the English menu entries, I have a German system).

But there is still 1% that it is some functionality of your local installation, and you are not allowed to unload. That is a decision only you can do.

Peter

#21 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:48 PM

Yes,

I found "BCD00000000"

Should I delete this entry ... and if so, how?
... because it doesn't let me. I read that it was used for booting Vista and if you delete it, then you will have boot run a system repair on your system.
My build system is a Win7 x86 SP1 system. I am going to give a shot in safe mode, then see if I can even boot ...

Posted Image
Posted Image

When you look into you local registry with regedit, is there under HKLM any entry different from

• Hardware
  • SAM
  • Security
  • Software
  • System
?
If yes in 99% of all cases it is a relict of an aborted WinBuilder session and you just can unload it (Sorry, I cannot give the English menu entries, I have a German system).

But there is still 1% that it is some functionality of your local installation, and you are not allowed to unload. That is a decision only you can do.

Peter

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 05:04 PM.

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

I found "BCD00000000"

Tht does not seem to be something left from WinBuilder.

But maybe it causes the troubles.

When you are sure that this key is not needed for your local installation, try this:
Make a backup *.reg of this key

Now only estimations (how it could be in English)
  • Select the BCD00000000 line
  • Click "File"
  • Click "Unmount", "Remove", or logical equivalent
If that does not work:
  • Right click BCD00000000
  • Choose "Security" or "Rights" or logical equivalent
  • Change your rights to "Everything allowed" (Do not know how it is in English)
  • Delete
Peter

#23 Michael*

Michael*

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 210 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

I don't know what it is, but I can unload it.
I can't seem to delete it, however ... because it keeps coming back.

Unload the BCD registry hive by running the following command:
reg unload HKLM\BCD00000000

Delete the BCD registry hive by running the following command:
reg delete HKLM\BCD00000000

Posted Image

Tht does not seem to be something left from WinBuilder.

But maybe it causes the troubles.

When you are sure that this key is not needed for your local installation, try this:
Make a backup *.reg of this key

Now only estimations (how it could be in English)

• Select the BCD00000000 line
  • Click "File"
  • Click "Unmount", "Remove", or logical equivalent
If that does not work:
  • Right click BCD00000000
  • Choose "Security" or "Rights" or logical equivalent
  • Change your rights to "Everything allowed" (Do not know how it is in English)
  • Delete
Peter

Edited by Michael*, 19 July 2011 - 05:34 PM.

#24 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

I can't seem to delete it, however ... because it keeps coming back.

So it seems to be part of your OS environment, and we can forget the issue here.
Next we have to try:
Do a complete new build in a FRESH directory, and post the log.

Peter

#25 sbaeder

sbaeder

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1338 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I already made that test ISO the other day while troubleshooting and it booted fine.

Good start - so we know that there is still something "funny"

I use many of your scripts. I was reading through all the troubleshooting tips and I wanted to make sure my source files were fine.

al-jo's scripts are probably fine - and tested with this configuration (i.e. Win7PE_SE) not sure all the others are, but given the responses, you have all the "TOP BRAINS" of the forum here...

I extracted them to C:\windows7 and never tried to obtain them directly from the CD. I will take a look at extracting the wim to save build time, just hadn't read about doing it. I saw it in the menu. I am using the full file copy option, if that makes any difference. I never figured out what the difference was from standard file copy? I was turning off my antivirus during the builds.

Full just copies a lot more of the files ;) standard is usually enough to make most things work, and is faster, smaller, takes up less space in RAM disk, etc.

I also found I had both imagex6.1.exe and wimgapi6.1.dll in x86, although I am not using SP1 as a source. Not sure how they got in there?
Will this prevent the disk from booting? Yes, both imagex6.0.exe and wimgapi6.0.dll where there, as well.

Did you have the WIAK installed? that may be the source of them...But again, that shouldn't be the reason you are having all these issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users