#26 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:26 AM

Seeing the chart on youre site makes this program seem good to have. Thanks!
Will take a look at Wimb program also. Both seem very usefull.

Well, NO. :(
You cannot. :ph34r:
This is the ultimative app.
Once you have used it you won't ever use any other one,
Try wimb's one first, there is NO way back once you have "tasted" WiNToBootic, it has ISO 13346! :whistling:

:cheers:
Wonko

#27 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Well, NO. :(
You cannot. :ph34r:
This is the ultimative app.
Once you have used it you won't ever use any other one,
Try wimb's one first, there is NO way back once you have "tasted" WiNToBootic, it has ISO 13346! :whistling:

Wonko

Well, you think it's very cool and sarcastic. For me it sounds like a man with complexes trying to make things ridiculous without even checking these. If you don't like - you can say and explain it, but it's not a reason to shit on me and the tool.

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Well, you think it's very cool and sarcastic. For me it sounds like a man with complexes trying to make things ridiculous without even checking these. If you don't like - you can say and explain it, but it's not a reason to shit on me and the tool.

Hey, remember you started it.

I explained you how I was NOT in the condition to test your nice app.

I asked a few simple questions on it that you could have replied to easily.

You decided to took advantage :( of the fact I have not the possibility to test your app.

You ignored the suggestion (please rest assured done in order to better it) to compare it with other tools besides the one you included in your comparison table.

I suggested you jokingly to correct the evident spelling error you had originally (and that you still have in the thread title).

I feel allowed to play a bit on the ultimative nature of your app.

It's a risk you have to deal with when posting on a public board.

Of course the coolness of it is in the eye of the beholder, I can assure you about it being sarcastic.

Wonko

#29 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

Hey, remember you started it.

I started the thread not the discussion. I dont want to discuss, if you dont like it - dont use it.

I explained you how I was NOT in the condition to test your nice app.

I'm sorry if you can't test we can't discuss about it. To discuss you need some facts and not only theoretical stuff.

I asked a few simple questions on it that you could have replied to easily.

I answered but for you it was not enough. If you want to know something exactly, pls test it by yourself - I am not obliged to convince you in something.

You ignored the suggestion (please rest assured done in order to better it) to compare it with other tools besides the one you included in your comparison table.

I decide by myself with which tools W2B will be compared. Another tools (except Make_USB) are not in the right class (in my view) to be compared.
Make_USB could be added but the problem is my 1st test give me a bunch of errors during reading ISO so I was not really inspired to continue the review. But be sure I will do it... And if I think the tool is in the right class to be added, I will do it. So simple is that.

I suggested you jokingly to correct the evident spelling error you had originally (and that you still have in the thread title).

Yes. Thank you for that! I corrected the mistake at the same day in the app and on the site. But do you really care about thread title??! Me not. Everybody makes mistakes. Now the topic title is also corrected you should be satisfied now.

I feel allowed to play a bit on the ultimative nature of your app.
It's a risk you have to deal with when posting on a public board.

Yeah, the risk to meet a bunch of rude disrespectful ungrateful people. But it's ok, it's internet...

Of course the coolness of it is in the eye of the beholder, I can assure you about it being sarcastic.

I dont care.

Adeus

#30 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:07 AM

Make_USB review specially for Wonko.

Simple Task: Burn WinPE 3.0 ISO to USB pen drive and make it bootable (standard nt6.x bootloader -> bootmgr).

Results - no comments:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thank you very much. :)

Can I also have an answer to my simple question about ISO 9660 and ISO13346? :unsure:

Wonko

#32 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thank you very much. :)

Can I also have an answer to my simple question about ISO 9660 and ISO13346? :unsure:

Yes, but a simple answer.

Not all boot creator tools can extract/burn content of ISO9660 and ISO13346 image, some tools support only 9660, some - only 13346, W2B can deal with both formats.
It's like ZIP and RAR archive - not all archiver tools can deal with both formats.

FYI, I could not find any possibility to let MAKE_USB to extract the ISO content at all.

#33 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

all utiities I know of should be able to cope with both

1st. NO! NO! NO!

2nd. There is no all-in-one-utility that can:

- format disk with NTFS
- make partition bootable
- flash nt6.x standard bootloader
- extract both ISO formats
- and all this per some mouse clicks

#34 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

- extract both ISO formats

I finally understand where the misunderstanding was! :yahoo:

Hi guys,

I'm very happy to present you the new USB boot tool for Windows 7 family (NT6.x) called

WiNToBootic can:

- make/create bootable NTFS USB/Flash Disk
- transfer/burn any ISO containing Win7-family OS

I thought that the utility "transferred/burned" the ISO, while what it does is EXTRACT it's contents (and "burn/transfer" the latter ones)! :)

This is the "old" way (no offence intended), i.e. the approach that the original MS tool used.

The "new" approach (the one that both RMPREPUSB and Make_USB use in current versions AFAIK/AFAICR) is that of using the .iso "as is" (i.e. without extracting it's contents, simply adding on the USB the.iso image).

Now everything is clear, thanks. :)

But I still have a question :blush: from the screenshot I see that the "target" device is chosen by it's drive letter (and not from it's \\.\PhysicalDrive number) does this imply that you need to previously partition (if necessary) the USB stick or that the result will be a "super-floppy (unpartitioned) device?

Wonko

#35 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

But I still have a question :blush: from the screenshot I see that the "target" device is chosen by it's drive letter (and not from it's \\.\PhysicalDrive number) does this imply that you need to previously partition (if necessary) the USB stick or that the result will be a "super-floppy (unpartitioned) device?

should be pre-partitioned.

#36 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

good tool and nice look, but what i really miss is commandline support....

i would like it to have two modes, one completely invisible and one where the user sees the nice gui but can not do much (maybe only abort...)

Also for me it is always important what license is used...can this tool be redistributed with projects?

Version 1.2 with command-line support released.

#37 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

I think you guys are way too demanding to the author. Keep in mind, many people consider this forum to be a good platform to develop programming skills and get some encouragement in further endeavors along the way from Masters (meaning those who developed more advanced staff or at least spend more time reading and criticizing others work :)).

Note: I recently installed Win XP on a very old laptop that I thought would never run any Win apart from factory installed Win 98. It was a simple challenge to find suitable Win XP mod, shrunk all the way, but surprisingly able to do just about everything, the original full version would do. I just needed to quickly test some hardware with it. The same approach is true for Win 7 or 8 - one can look around and find a suitable ISO to install even on a Commodore, and it will run amazingly smooth thus allowing for more alive critics experience. Otherwise one carries overwhelming risk to quickly become irrelevant to the needs of majority Reboot users, who are keen to test drive modern and future solutions, despite affordable HW choice might be limited.

What I'm missing here is positive direction - show the author, how he can possibly make his tool unique, and what you're missing in the tools currently offered by others.

w2b

What I lack most in the tools mentioned above, is the ability to directly boot any LINUX distro ISO from NTSF partition saved on a Hard or Flash drive. Are you up to the task? :book:
  • RoyM likes this

#38 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

What I lack most in the tools mentioned above, is the ability to directly boot any LINUX distro ISO from NTSF partition saved on a Hard or Flash drive. Are you up to the task? :book:

Wow :yahoo: :w00t:, we are again on the *any* .iso. :ph34r:
http://reboot.pro/8944/

Wonko

#39 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

I'm glad, you finally pointed w2b in the right direction. :beer:

#40 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

I'm glad, you finally pointed w2b in the right direction. :beer:

Actually I tried (vainly as always ;)) to point you in the right direction. :dubbio:

In the usual carpenter's example :whistling:, you just suggested the painter that he should really start making heavier hammers. :w00t: :ph34r:

Wonko

#41 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

While you're pretending to be qualified to grade developers, this function is usually reserved for those demonstrated outstanding development accomplishments. :loleverybody:
If you're unable to show any, but still eager to teach others, why not follow your Sig statement, and try to write a survey of Pros / Cons of existing solutions on the topic, and ToDo List that someone else (a developer) may be interested to tackle for the sake of Reboot community.

Be positive pls, spirit permitting - "they" call it constructive criticism. Remember, people want to share their accomplishments here, no matter how small they may seem to others. This site can be a good teaching tool as well, if members can suggest a young developer a direction to grow rather than... :suda:

#42 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

I am not pretending anything.
I simply tried (knowing in advance that it was perfectly vain ;)) to hint how you were barking up the wrong tree, as the *any* needs in the case of Linux distro's not designed to be booted from .iso, to modify the CONTENTS of the .iso.

Wonko

#43 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Yet you were unable to extend any objections in above referenced "any ISO" thread apart from proposed solutions not being "free". Were they all based on modifying Linux ISO distros? :dubbio:

Btw, subject of "modifying" is also quite broad, the user is merely interested not to touch himself any such ISO apart from simply copying it to a disk. If a program, being part of a boot package, then automatically does anything to facilitate booting such Linux ISO, its not deemed "modifying or preparing by the user".

#44 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Btw, subject of "modifying" is also quite broad, the user is merely interested not to touch himself any such ISO apart from simply copying it to a disk. If a program, being part of a boot package, then automatically does anything to facilitate booting such Linux ISO, its not deemed "modifying or preparing by the user".

I thought that the message was clear, I will try again, though. :dubbio:
  • There are "good" Linux .iso's that can be booted allright by grub4dos.
  • There are "good" Linux .iso's that cannot be booted by grub4dos BUT that can be booted by GRUB 2 (or possibly BURG :unsure:).
  • There are "bad" Linux .iso's that cannot be booted as .iso in ANY WAY unless they are actually on a physical CD/DVD (or on a device that perfectly emulates the CD/DVD hardware).

Your *any* includes all three above, whilst #1 and #2 are not a problem, the #3 need to be modified internally, in a "SPECIFIC", "case by case" way.
Given the number of Linux distro's "in the wild" and the frequence with which new releases are published, it would be IMHO a "never ending" work to create a program that would do such "specific", "individual" modifications to *any* .iso of the third group.

Wonko

#45 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

Did you notice that this w2b's program can "burn" ISOs? What makes you think, he can't add the ability to emulate a CD / DVD hardware (when suggested to do it in your friendly advice)? :)

The thing I agree with, it doesn't make sense to call each novice utility "UlTiMaTe". I'd suggest some research be done to support such assertion. :) In fact, this particular utility doesn't feel "ultimate" in any way, and combination of its features wasn't even proven logical. :dubbio: What is appreciated here is the author's clear effort to respond to improvement requests.

Btw:

- from all things in Windows world BOOT related, I can think of only one program that deserves ULTIMATE status: Grub4DOS. Everything else is just service apps.
- I was under impression, the term "burn" in computer world describes the process of a hot laser beam melting a variable track on a special CD layer. Flash Memory is transistor based and electrically programmed. Wonko is right: "Ten for the word, and ten for making up a word without asking the guy who rights the dictionary."

#46 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 14950 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Did you notice that this w2b's program can "burn" ISOs? What makes you think, he can't add the ability to emulate a CD / DVD hardware (when suggested to do it in your friendly advice)? :)

But it DOES NOT :ph34r:, this is what you seemingly missed.
Actually that is what I initially thought also, but as a matter of fact, it was later cleared:
http://reboot.pro/14950/page__st__32
that the nice app ONLY EXTRACTS contents of the .iso (and ONLY contents of "any ISO containing Win7-family OS"), then builds out of them a "flat" directory structure, if you prefer the result is essentially the same of the original MS app:
http://www.mydigital...from-iso-image/

Wonko

#47 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4167 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:14 AM

Version 1.2 with command-line support released.

Can you edit you're first post with the update news of the new version being released. If you post it on this far of a thread people will miss the updated release news.
Thanks for the new release. :fine:

#48 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

the nice app ONLY EXTRACTS contents of the .iso

I don't think, most Rebooters appreciate such approach. Personally I didn't use any utility so far that would extract anything from an ISO to a Thumb, feeling this be redundant given other approaches available or already used. Still waiting, while having a hard time booting some Linux staff. :)

Meanwhile, Sara - PMedia posted a very good list of what should be extracted from most popular Linux Distros, claiming their FAT32 leniency. I wanted to try that in appreciation of her hard core efforts, but timely stopped, letting someone to hopefully develop a non-intrusive method.

#49 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

essentially the same of the original MS app:
http://www.mydigital...from-iso-image/

Typical! You have no idea about what you are talking about here. But you're talking about it anyway. Download and use this MS tool and then you can tell us about your user experience.

#50 w2b

w2b

• Developer
  • 23 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

w2b

thanx for feedback!

why do you need LINUX iso on NTFS drive?!

anyway it was not in scope of this tool, its purely Windows-NTFS related tool. Live Linux USB Creator (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/) is the best-in-class tool for LINUX-based ISO, dont see a sense to create something similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users