52 replies to this topic

#51 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

Just tried kexec-loader again, was too intrigued by this alternative. It works great for linux kernels, but anything else will not work. It just prints cannot determine the filetype of /path/to/kernel

If this problem can be somehow overcome, it will be an awesome alternative to plop and its inherent buginess I have myself seen on many systems.

Oh and the reason it was always hanging is you absolutely need to give it a proper root before playing with any of the commands. That's why it was always barfing on me.

#52 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

Well I've been playing with it some more, and instead I've taken to using the kexec in knoppix v6.4.4

Much more flexibility when I can directly pass parameters to kexec.

Still doesn't make much of a difference.

I think the main problem is that the initrd has some kind of size limitation. It doesn't seem to load an initrd over a certain size. (I think sha0 had that problem with winkexec as well)

Ok now if *that* problem can be overcome, we may be in business (I know, famous last words lol)

Because it does load grub.exe without a problem, but then when I try to use cat --hex --locate to try and find some fragment of the initrd in memory, there is nothing...

#53 slothman

slothman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

Ok, final comment. Apparently it does work, I was trying to locate non-hex characters as hex...

But it still is not enough.

When it kexec's grub4dos with an initrd, it hangs at the grub> prompt, and will not do anything/go any further. Without an initrd, it runs fine, but thats kinda the whole point is to be able to load an initrd. Who knows exactly how many obstacles past this there are, but for the moment I give up. Kexec'ing in general is just too unreliable imho.

*edit*

Although on some machines it does not hang and will work properly. I am still sticking with my previous statement though. If a solution does not work properly across all machines, it is no good for my purposes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users